Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i like konas idea of xc geometry.. its a whole 3 degrees slacker than most any xc bike. give it a ride, if you like slacker bikes, the kona might be the easy choice.. if you dont, you can easily rule it out.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
hncreature said:
Slacker bikes???
From Sheldon Browns web site. :thumbsup:

Angles

The usual angles that are referred to in frame design are the head-tube (or fork) angle and the seat-tube angle. These angles are usually measured with reference to the horizontal. The typical range is from 68 to 75 degrees. In general, bicycles with shallower, "slack", "relaxed" angles (lower numbers) tend to be more stable and comfortable. Bicycles with steeper, more upright angles (higher numbers) tend to be manuverable, but less comfortable on rough surfaces. Shallower frames tend to have longer wheel bases than more upright frames; bicycles with shallower head angles normally have more fork rake. All of these factors contribute to the riding characteristics cited.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_an-z.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
dogonfr said:
From Sheldon Browns web site. :thumbsup:

Angles

The usual angles that are referred to in frame design are the head-tube (or fork) angle and the seat-tube angle. These angles are usually measured with reference to the horizontal. The typical range is from 68 to 75 degrees. In general, bicycles with shallower, "slack", "relaxed" angles (lower numbers) tend to be more stable and comfortable. Bicycles with steeper, more upright angles (higher numbers) tend to be manuverable, but less comfortable on rough surfaces. Shallower frames tend to have longer wheel bases than more upright frames; bicycles with shallower head angles normally have more fork rake. All of these factors contribute to the riding characteristics cited.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_an-z.html
Thanks for posting that! I've been "into" mtn. bike for a while but i've never really understood geometry. I just get on and ride. This is a good explanation, though!

RIP, Sheldon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.