Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, ladies and gents. I test rode a Trek Fuel EX 7 29er today and was blown away. Bike handled well, descended a hell of a lot easier than my HT 29er (obvious, I know), and even felt like it climbed almost as well as my HT 29er once I locked out the rear. I doubt I would have any regrets buying this bike, but here's my issue - do I pull the trigger after only one test ride? I'd really like to try the Remedy 29er, but I'm not sure I even need the extra suspension with the trails I ride here in San Diego. I was eyeballing the Norco 29ers as well (seem to have better specs for less $$), but am I just being silly by not buying a bike that I'm perfectly happy with?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess It just goes to how you are as a consumer. How much are you really into exploring all your options. weather you want to do that or would you rather get it done
and go ride.

I just bought a bike and went through the same thing. After pouring over all the options Riding a bunch of demo's, I finally just said F***it and bought something. If it doesn't work out, sell it and do it again. ha

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
I demoed the Fuel Ex 9.8 version, a Remedy, Stache 8 and carbon Superfly 9.8 at a Demo day( over two days). It helps to be able to do it back-to-back on the same trail. The compliance of the SF 9.8 was exceptional and it had trail feel the Fuel Ex was missing.
So ride more bikes and you might be surprised.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Assuming you aren't going to be out money I would demo a few different options, especially if you haven't ridden a wide variety of bikes. I know most shops charge a demo fee and then put whatever you spent towards the purchase, so that would make it worthwhile to try a few of their offerings. I would probably pick a shop with a wider variety containing at least a couple bikes you're confident you'll like and then demo away. I find it fun riding different bikes so as long as it's an option might as well take it.

I also have been riding a cheaper 29er hardtail and did a demo of a RIP 9 RDO. The bike was great but I'm still going to ride some others since my experience is so limited. If I'd been riding for a long while and experienced a wider range of bikes I'd be happier to just make a decision off one good experience.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Go ride some more bikes. It's not costing you anything (or much) to ride them. And as impressed as you are now, you might find something you like more. In particular, go ride a Giant Anthem or Trance 29er. Do that climb on them again, but don't lock them out. They can take it. Then go ride some other stuff. You may come back to the Fuel (which I've ridden, which is why I'm recommending you ride other things too) but if you do, you'll at least be confident you have the right bike, and not second guessing yourself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought my Fuel after only one ride... Not regretted it at all. I think bikes are like shoes; they either fit and feel good or they don't, and if they don't, they never will.

If you like the bike and 'clicked' with it, why not buy? :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I test rode a Superfly 100 and liked it and was ready to buy it and the the Fuel ex7 caught my eye and I fell in love with it. I feel very comfortable on my Fuel and it handles great for what I do.

However, with looking for a fatbike for myself now, ride several different brands and see what feels good. I am to the point that I am almost confused on what I want. But at least you'll know you like something better than another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think bikes are like shoes; they either fit and feel good or they don't, and if they don't, they never will.
+1

The market is flooded with great choices.

For me, it was impractical to trail demo a bunch of bikes over the course of weeks or months, working around weather, LBS demo availability, and my busy schedule.

After I did my research, I parking lot tested a few. There was one standout, which I purchased, and its been off to the races ever since with no regrets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.