Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a light trail / XC bike (120 MM). 80% of what I ride is fast XC type trails, although I do occasionally travel to ride more technical trails.

I've narrowed my search down to the Scott Spark 710 (full XT, 25 lbs) and the Turner Flux (XT/SLX, 28+ lbs).

I rode the Scott yesterday - wow. Light, fast and responsive. I have not tested the Flux, but the DW link rear suspension is supposed to be incredible. With that said, the Flux is heavier - and that is a concern.

I can get a great deal on the Scott ($4,000 - normally $4,600). The Turner is comparably priced.

Has anyone ridden either or both bikes? Appreciate any feedback...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am also considering the Flux as my new bike. Along with the 5010 and Mach 429. Cant decide on a wheel size, but that is another discussion altogether.

I demoed a Flux recently for 2 days. M, 120mm fox fork, XT/XTR build, I asked them about weight and they said just over 27lbs. I took the bike to a couple of my local trails to compare the wheel size to my current XC oriented 29er hardtail (superfly) and put about 30 miles on it in 2 days. The trails I ride are mostly XC with a little bit of rocky rutted steepish DH here and there.

The bike fit good the moment I got on it (5'9") and I have to say it looks pretty damn good. I was able to climb the beginning technical climb of about 1.5 miles without stopping. Something I had never done on my 29er (which has more to do with the wheel weight I think). I noticed no pedal bob and this is the first FS I have ever ridden. In fact it was my best time up this segment. Also, when I got to the top I realized the shock was in descend. I think this says something about the DW Link on this bike. Its good.

The 2nd day I cleaned a fire road climb I always have to stop for on my 29er. I really think the DW link hides the weight well.

As for the descents, well, it rocked. Again, this was my first FS ride ever, but I flew down stuff that used to give me trouble on the 29er. I never felt the suspension bottom out and the fork felt great. I was able to hit switchbacks and whip the bike around like I never have been able to do with my wagon wheels. I ended the day looking for anything I could pop off of to get some air. Felt very stable in the air, unlike my current rig.

As for the bad: I had a couple BB strikes due to the low BB height, and couple pedal strikes. Also the HA seems a little steep for trail riding making it a bit twitchy at times but this could have been due to the long stem on the bike. But thats it really. after the end of the day I had ridden 25 miles, my longest single ride to date and could have gone more.

Im having a difficult time really, I will be demoing a 5010c next week. Good luck in your search. I wouldnt let the weight/no carbon issue get to you, it really is a fun bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've decided to go with the Scott Spark 710. The Turner looks great - but there is a 4 lb difference at the same price point between then Spark and Turner...and the Spark is full XT vs. a mix of SLX/XT on the Turner. As well...I can't demo a Turner and I'm concerned about buying it blind. I did ride the Scott and loved it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I've decided to go with the Scott Spark 710. The Turner looks great - but there is a 4 lb difference at the same price point between then Spark and Turner...and the Spark is full XT vs. a mix of SLX/XT on the Turner. As well...I can't demo a Turner and I'm concerned about buying it blind. I did ride the Scott and loved it.
Congrats on your decision! I'm also looking for a Spark 710 as a do it all bike as I think it's the best value x money at the $4000 mark. And it weights less than bikes costing twice as much. What kind of deal did you get on the 710?? I'm looking for one but there's not too many dealers around USA. At 5'6" I'm not sure if I got with the M or S size!! Please post pictures and riding impressions when you have a chance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't received the bike yet, but when I do I will post pics and riding impressions. I'm 5'6" as well. I tested a med and it felt just a bit long in the top tube. The standover height is virtually identical between the med and small - so I'm confident the small is right for me. I don't have many Scott dealers in my area. The closest one is 90 min away. Perhaps he felt bad for my drive? His price on the 710 was around $4k.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wish I had saw this thread earlier. Just built a new Flux, and really can't say enough good things about it. My XL came in at 28 lbs on the dot, with a 34mm (140mm) fork and a few older chunky parts.

As others have said, DW link hides the weight very, very well. Fast and fun machine. You also can't beat the Turner CS!

Gratuitous Photos:

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.