Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new Singlespeed frame to try the Gates belt drive. Since I would like to go for steel, I have reduced my choices to the Norco Judan and the Spot Rocker. Having done some research I am stuck with two questions.

Is the Gates system mature enough or should I rather save my bucks for a year or two, have them fix the flaws and stick so long to my trusty "chain-bike".

Do you think the Spot ($1399) is worse twice the price of the Norco ($699)? I know one is hand built in Colorado, the other designed in Canada and most probably built in Taiwan. But that put aside, which one would you go for? :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spot...

For the reasons that you listed. It appears that the Gates belt drive has matured nicely. Be careful with the gearing selection (do the math). If you hate the belt, you can use the Spot or Norco as your new "Chain-bike"

·
B2
466 Posts
Spot

I love my spot brand Rocker. It is worth more money becase it rides so nice. Just enough give to make it feel good in the rough, but still rails down hill. I have had no problems with the belt drive, just set and forget! The spot is also a bit lighter than the norco as well. My large frame weighed 4.25 lbs.

Attachments

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Are these still hand made in Colorado? How about USA? I have conflicting info right now.

·
B2
466 Posts
Spot Brand is handmade in Golden Co.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,315 Posts
b2b2 said:
Spot Brand is handmade in Golden Co.
When did they change that?
You used to be able to order either taiwanese or "handmade in golden" versions of the longboard.
A $1299 complete bike with Gates and Hayes hydros doesn't seem to fit with that model.
OP-
I'd go for the Spot.
:thumbsup:

·
B2
466 Posts
They where made in Canada Until about 5 years ago whe some ex Mavric people bought the company and moved it to Golden. I have had two and the quality is second to none. They also had some frames made in China last couple of years but I dont think they are doing that anymore. The Chineese ones just are not as nice but about half the price.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I agree with MF. I doubt a $1299 complete bike, with belt drive and Hayes, is USA made. If it's not something you're sure about, go with the less expensive frame. If you decide you like it, move parts over to a nicer frame later.

On the belt side, I looked hard at this and couldn't justify the money for lack of cog / chainring sizes and trailside repairs ( there aren't any ). Putting pie plates on a custom frame just isn't the look I'm going for.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,315 Posts
b2b2 said:
They where made in Canada Until about 5 years ago whe some ex Mavric people bought the company and moved it to Golden. I have had two and the quality is second to none. They also had some frames made in China last couple of years but I dont think they are doing that anymore. The Chineese ones just are not as nice but about half the price.
Interesting.
I agree on the quality, at least of the "handmade in golden" one that I demoed at a race in '07 or '08.
At that time you could definitely buy a version of the Longboard made in taiwan. I seriously considered one.

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Currently all Spot Rockers are handmade in Golden, CO.
The Longboards were from Taiwan, but most of those have cycled through. Right now. if you're talking Rocker, you're talking CO built.

The geometries of both are dialed. I'm not a full time 29er guy by any stretch, but I have been super impressed every time I swing a leg over a Spot demo. Super fun geo.

If you are considering the belt drive system, Spot is the company to go with, as they have been developing the Carbon Drive technology with Gates then licensing it to the other companies. If you can wait a little bit and go with a Spot you can get the new Center Flange system which is the next level Carbon Drive. Spot will have it exclusively this year. It is dope.

PM me if you have any other questions about Spot and belt drive.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Plenty of other bike manufacturers have embraced the Carbon drive system. The only license Spot can sell is their specific drop-out design. IF, Black Sheep, Seven, Trek and others have designed bikes compatible with Gates Carbon Drive. I seriously doubt these companies are paying Spot anything.

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
azjonboy said:
Plenty of other bike manufacturers have embraced the Carbon drive system. The only license Spot can sell is their specific drop-out design. IF, Black Sheep, Seven, Trek and others have designed bikes compatible with Gates Carbon Drive. I seriously doubt these companies are paying Spot anything.
True. "License" was probably the wrong word to use, I'm not sure how the technology is distributed. But the Carbon Drive System is a joint venture between Spot and Gates (Both Denver metro companies), and Spot gets first crack and does most of the testing and devo on the new stuff, and Gates does the manufacturing. I.E: You probably won't be seeing center flange belts and sprockets on any other OE speced bikes for 2011 besides Spot.

I'm not sure when it will be available aftermarket, but it is much cleaner looking, more durable and has much wider tolerances in terms of chainline and alignment, and probably a little lighter too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And the winner is...

I ended up buying a Spot. Just finished building it. Love it.
I am still struggling to decide on the fork options. Right now I took the blacksheep I still had at home. Trying to decide between a Reba or Manitou Tower, or keep it as is :confused:

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Nice choice and build!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just curious, but how long did it take to get your Spot Rocker SS? I ordered mine in mid-Feb and when the LBS asks for updates, we get the standard "about 3 weeks" over and over again. I know the tubing for the XL frames are different, but a leadtime of 13 weeks (so far)?? It makes me question the support of Spot at this point. Maybe the nephew is welding frames after updating the website last summer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought mine of Craigslist, so no wait here.

In terms of customer service I found their online-chat very useful but in peak-times it may take a while until it's your turn. In my two cases the service representative was very knowledgeable and both times I got the answer I was looking for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think that there were Longboards made in both CO and Taiwan. They were only made overseas for one or two years, and they are easily distinguishable because the Taiwanese frames do not have replaceable dropouts.

Congrats on your new Spot. I've only ridden a friend's on test ride (~20 miles), and it was pretty nice. The new belt drive looks sweet, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts