Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi champs,
I am about to build my Niner hardtail and struggling between the following forks:
- RockShox Reba XX 29 2011, tapered, 120mm reduced to 100mm, Maxle Lite 20mm QR
- Fox 32 F29 FIT RLC 2011, tapered, 100mm, 15QR thru axle

Advantages of the Fox are for me:
I can get the Fox for the same price than the Reba (even a bit cheaper).
There is a light 15QR axle from Tune (http://www.tune.de/index.php?option...e&id=533:dc15&catid=35:news&Itemid=73&lang=de) available which makes it a bit lighter.

Advantages of the Rock Shox are for me:
I very much like the remote lock out feature Xloc (to have a similar lock out at the Fox, the cartridge needs to replace with additonal costs of around 300-400 USD...).

What would be your pick?
What abut lock out for 29er hardtails, a "must have", or not? (I am thinking about the fact that the gearing for 29er is a bit tougher with the recent chainrings sets from Shimano/ SRAM, and I have the feeling that you are standing more often while pushing/ pedaling uphill, and therefore I somehow "believe" that a lock out would be great for that...but maybe I am wrong/ it is only me...)

Do you know the weights?
The Fox is weighting 1820g including the Fox QR15 axle on my scale...anyone has the above Reba (uncutted) weight available?

So, any feedback, opinions, advices are welcome, please let them coming!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My Reba XX was 1790g uncut (tapered steerer tube, 100mm travel, QR9, w/Xloc included).

I've had Fox, RS, and Magura forks over the last few years. They were all good.

Magura Durin SL was my favorite 26er fork... stiffer than anything else I've ridden. But they don't make a 29er, so that was off the table.

All of the forks needed service at one point or another. Rock Shox was simply the best in that regard (sending parts over night if something broke... etc). Fox was god awful terrible in the customer service department. They wouldn't send parts out and it took them a month to do warranty work on a fork (that had a non functioning lockout).

So, when I got a new Niner Air9 carbon this year. I went with a Reba XX again, rather than the Fox Terralogic for those reasons (and it was a bit cheaper).

The Xlock is really nice to have. I could never run a "regular" fork again, with a crown mounted lockout. Either an Xlock, or Terralogic/Spec Brain.

·
Fast bike-slow rider
207 Posts
I just went to a Fox F29 from an '08 Reba. Inaugural ride will be tonight. But when I was pedaling it around the parking lot and hopping the curbs at my LBS I could already feel that it was a much stiffer fork. The older Reba that I had was noticeably flex-ier than this Fox with the through axle. I have ridden later Reba's and they are a bit stiffer than the one I had but I think the Fox's are slightly stiffer still.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
FotoJesse said:
I just went to a Fox F29 from an '08 Reba. Inaugural ride will be tonight. But when I was pedaling it around the parking lot and hopping the curbs at my LBS I could already feel that it was a much stiffer fork. The older Reba that I had was noticeably flex-ier than this Fox with the through axle. I have ridden later Reba's and they are a bit stiffer than the one I had but I think the Fox's are slightly stiffer still.
You can't compare a 15QR fork to a 9mm QR fork in terms of stiffness.....apples to oranges.

Reba w/ 20mm Maxle vs. Fox F29 w/ 15QR is a better comparison.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
mtnbikej said:
You can't compare a 15QR fork to a 9mm QR fork in terms of stiffness.....apples to oranges.

Reba w/ 20mm Maxle vs. Fox F29 w/ 15QR is a better comparison.
I agree with you 100 percent there... I have two Fox F29s -- one with a 9mm QR and a newer 15QR version, and the newer fork is markedly stiffer laterally. It's a surprising difference...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can't say much about the Fox as I have not tried it, but I love the 120 mm 20 QR RS XX with remote lockout. The remote lockout was the biggest selling point for me. It is so handy to use and i would not want another bike without it!

·
Fast bike-slow rider
207 Posts
I did ride all four versions of the forks before I decided to drop down the cash for the Fox. The difference between the XX Reba Maxle and the Fox 15QR was obviously not as pronounced as between the those and the QR models. For me the Fox still felt slightly better than the Reba. All of them tracked noticeably better than my '08 Reba over really rooty and rocky sections of trail.You can't go wrong with either, for me I went with the Fox because it felt slightly better to me and also because my hub was easily converted to the 15QR.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I went through a similar dilemma when looking for a fork for this year's race bike build. Ended up going with a Reba RLT Ti. The better motion control system and Ti internals swayed me from the reba XX. I probably would've liked the hydro lockout on the XX, but the RLT Ti comes with the push loc remote which should work nearly as well.

I've been a fox guy up until this fork purchase. Have always had good luck with fox forks, but after a good amount of riding on a rigid SS I place a high value in being able to lockout a fork on command. The terralogic 'might' work, but after researching for quite awhile it seems that people have issues with setting the terralogic forks up plush when the threshold is set very high. With the lockout you can set your suspension as plush or not as you like, and can fully lockout the fork at will. While terralogic might be nice, I like to be in control and also like being able to setup my fork however I want without concern about how it'll affect the lockout. To be honest, if fox would've made a 2011 fork with a true lockout (and still offer compression adjustment) I would've gone that route, mainly due to loyalty. They shot themselves in the foot this year by not offering a remote lockout fork... guessing they hoped it'd sell more terralogics.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I went through the same thign this year and ended up with a Reba RLT Ti and added a pop lock to it. The reason I went with the reba instead of the fox was becuase of the remote lock out. My current bike has a psylo that I put a pop lock on and I can't live with out it now. But I am single speed so most of the time I am standing up. I could have gotten the fox for half the price I paid for the reba but with no remote lock out I thought the extra $400 was worth it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so far for your reply guys!
Do you think there is any negative effect on the Reba fork if I reduce the travel from 120mm to 80mm (2 spacers a 20mm)?
I still don’t understand how the spacer fit in the fork, and if that has any effect on the stability/ response of the suspension.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
I am wondering from you guys who have ridden both the XX Reba and the Fox RLC about the lockout threshold. I really love the threshold adjustment on the Fox, but am wanting the Xloc remote (which I have on two of my Leftys).
Does the Reba's lockout have a blowoff similar to the Fox?
I can't stand a super rigid lockout nor one that bobs while standing so a high quality blowoff like the Fox RLC is a must.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got the Fox with the RLC FIT 15mm thingy's! Not a suspension guy, first fork in 5 years, rigid before that so it feels real plush compared to my Surly Karate Monkey fork. I like the adjustments but wish it had a remote lockout. I get some sag when I am out of the saddle in lockout. Its also single speed and I weigh 200. I have rode my friends reba's and they feel just as good. I bet there is no huge difference.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks so far for your reply guys!
Do you think there is any negative effect on the Reba fork if I reduce the travel from 120mm to 80mm (2 spacers a 20mm)?
I still don't understand how the spacer fit in the fork, and if that has any effect on the stability/ response of the suspension.
There is no difference in the fork...if you buy an 80mm reba, you can remove the spacers to make it 120mm...or 120 to 80 as you're speaking about. There should be no noticeabley ill effect either way you move. The only difference you might feel is dependent on your frame's geometry.

You may need to do some air or valving adjustments...but I'm not sure. Mechanically, they're the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.