Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,106 Posts
drewski said:
I narrowed down to MAVIC EX 729 DISC RIM and Atom Lab Trailpimp/DHR. Any thoughts? Which product is better and stays true?
i run then atomlab trailpimps on my bike there great wheels. what time of riding do you do? and how much do you weigh? this could give u a better idea of what u need

·
Banned
226 Posts
drewski said:
I narrowed down to MAVIC EX 729 DISC RIM and Atom Lab Trailpimp/DHR. Any thoughts? Which product is better and stays true?
729 is the same as the older 321's? I have 3 sets of 321's and they are great. If the 729 is the same rim...I would go with it. They look a little beefier that the trail pimps.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
lets say this again and again

go tubeless not ghetto with the rim strip....Mavic EX 823's very strong rim

feels like you pedal a 5 pound lighter bike....and virtually no flats
Let's say THIS again and again.

Some people ride a lot harder on their DH bike than you do and tubeless setups do not hold up for everyone.

I agree that tubeless gives a noticible difference in traction and rolling resistance (I've got tubeless wheels on two of my bikes) but in full blown DH riding, ripping up tires and blowing the beads off enough to consistently cause them to burp and lose pressure is a reality.

You keep making it sound like it's some universal truth for people on big bikes who may corner hard and beat the piss out their tires on sharp rocks............and it just doesn't work.
And yes I've tried it with michelins. You have no idea how many people I've seen walking down from northstar with shredded tubeless tires on tubeless rims.......myself included.

I literally only know one person who's tried it and stuck with it on their big bikes.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
kidwoo said:

Some people ride a lot harder on their DH bike than you do

You keep making it sound like it's some universal truth for people on big bikes who may corner hard and beat the piss out their tires on sharp rocks............and it just doesn't work..

I literally only know one person who's tried it and stuck with it on their big bikes.
oh snap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rims

I just ordered Michelin 2.8. for my vpf and this tire is 2 big for the rims that I have now. I weight about 195 with the gear.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
JBsoxB said:
Let me clarify..........

For some people this system obviously works. SMT seems to be one of those. To be honest I'm jealous. I wish I could keep tubeless tires on my dh bike because it really is a badass system. I just don't think it's fair to tout it as the be all end all on big bikes because in that environment that these bikes see, there's a hell of a lot of equipment abuse going on. Even just this weekend, a guy I was riding some shuttles with blew his tire off his front rim (an 823 with a tubeless maxxis tire) just from landing a little sideways at speed. It would suck to go off of a recommendation and commit to new rims/tires etc and have the same problems that SO may people have when they try this on a big bike that gets really pounded on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depending on your riding style, weight, and what types of riding you do, either of the 6.1's or 5.1's from DT Swiss would be a beautiful setup. Their rims are some of the best made in the business with welds that are a thing of beauty. Can't go wrong with a set of these.

·
Registered
558 Posts
mayby its the tires?

kidwoo said:
Let me clarify..........

For some people this system obviously works. SMT seems to be one of those. To be honest I'm jealous. I wish I could keep tubeless tires on my dh bike because it really is a badass system. I just don't think it's fair to tout it as the be all end all on big bikes because in that environment that these bikes see, there's a hell of a lot of equipment abuse going on. Even just this weekend, a guy I was riding some shuttles with blew his tire off his front rim (an 823 with a tubeless maxxis tire) just from landing a little sideways at speed. It would suck to go off of a recommendation and commit to new rims/tires etc and have the same problems that SO may people have when they try this on a big bike that gets really pounded on.
I'm with SMT. I have been running the 823's with Intense (NON Tubeless) tires for 3 seasons and have yet to blow a tire off the rim. It will burp if not at the right pressure, so just check before you ride. I have folded an 823 front and never lost the tire. I weigh 225 with gear. It may not be a 'perfect' solution for everone, but worth the try.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
kidwoo said:

Some people ride a lot harder on their DH bike than you do and tubeless setups do not hold up for everyone.

I agree that tubeless gives a noticible difference in traction and rolling resistance (I've got tubeless wheels on two of my bikes) but in full blown DH riding, ripping up tires and blowing the beads off enough to consistently cause them to burp and lose pressure is a reality.

You keep making it sound like it's some universal truth for people on big bikes who may corner hard and beat the piss out their tires on sharp rocks............and it just doesn't work.
And yes I've tried it with michelins. You have no idea how many people I've seen walking down from northstar with shredded tubeless tires on tubeless rims.......myself included.

I don't do drops over 6 feet but for 2 years I have never had a problem with Michelins NEVER BTW Tunnel, in SB, is way more continuest technical then N*.....but when I run Maxxis I have problems of burbing....I run the 2.8 michelin's...very strong sidewall blead

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
kidwoo said:
Let me clarify..........

you are right...you should be jealous.....the key for me....stick with the Michelins, and Hutchinson (the same as the 2.8 ...I think it is the Octopus but not sure)....run about 28 to 32 pounds and never a problem...use soapy water on the install and Make sure you have STANS that stuff slowly eats your tires and WELDS the tire to the bead. It is a pain for me when I finally have to throw the tire away and replace it with a new one.....old tire sticks to the rim like mad

·
Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I don't do drops over 6 feet but for 2 years I have never had a problem with Michelins NEVER BTW Tunnel, in SB, is way more continuest technical then N*.....but when I run Maxxis I have problems of burbing....I run the 2.8 michelin's...very strong sidewall blead
It's not the "technical" Quite the opposite really. More the "non-technical" that does it. Hard cornering where you can press the crap out of your tires because there's a well supported berm/turn and reaching mach speeds and THEN hitting something rocky and sharp tears tires.

Why did no one read the part about me using michelins? They're the best DH tubless option out there by far but they still tear without the extra bit of sidewall support from a tube. And I've never used any tubeless setup without stans. Sometimes it seals but if you get a big enough gash, as soon as you start rolling again, the hole opens up. Plus you know the little snake bites you get when you pinch flat a tube? I've done that to tires that used as tubeless. I kept them at around 40 psi as well.

Fer chrissakes man, I've been riding tubeless since the sh!t came out 5 years ago on my xc bikes. Plus I've had it on my more freeride-ish bikes for the last 3 years. I obviously recognize the advantages. Don't you think I would have tried my damnedest to get it to work on my downhill bike?

If it would make you feel any better, I can put up some pictures tonight of all my beat to sh!t tires I've gone through trying to get a tubeless setup on my dh bike. I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm talking about. Just because it works for you does not mean it's a universal application.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,611 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
Stans eats tires?
It's just water based latex with a bit of amonia as a preservative. I've seen a few people echo something about kenda tires degrading with the stuff but I've never seen a problem with folks I know using kendas tubeless on their xc rides.

·
rollin
2,601 Posts
drewski said:
MAVIC ex729!!!

don't know enough about atom lab, but that mavic has been manufacturing rims way longer.
i just built up a 729 for a friend and it came out roadie spec true, one of the straightest wheels i've built. not all rims are true right out of the box, but that 729 sure sh!t was.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.