Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for some advice! I'm looking to get an entry level MTB for under $600 preferrably.

edit:

Well another guy has an '06 or '07 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with XTR Shift and brake levers, Avid BB7 Disk brakes, Cane Creek headset, Rock Shox Judy fork, Thomson stem, lock on grips, Easton/Bontrager seatpost. Looks to be in about perfect condition. What a good price for it? I may be able to get it for $500 but I wasnt sure if that was a good deal or not..

Some other notables at local shops and craigslist:

'09 GF Piranha-Used $600
'09 Trek 6000-Leftover $599 at LBS
'09 Trek 4300-Leftover $399

I'm in no real rush and have no problem waiting for better deals either! Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Trek and GF both great bikes. I think I would go with a leftover 2009 bike over buying used. The two you have listed for around $600 will get you a lot better components might be the way to go if you plan on riding often and the bikes fit well.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
id go with the trek 6000 '09, i wouldnt go any lower than a 6000 trek if i could help it the components are much better ive got a 6700 '07 and its all good you wont have any regrets

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
louisssssssssssssssssssss and Wrath are right. Get that 6000 if it fits well. Good mid-level ht and Trek warranty is hard to beat. Original retail was $880.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah I knew that was a good deal right when i heard it. I think I'm gonna check em out after the holiday and see how it fits. I definitely fit a lil cramped on the other Trek I sat on.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
rockhopper is one radical frame to build off of but the base one is 610 so only 10 bucks over what u want to spend and if u buy an 09 or 08 used u can get the comp disc for probably the same price

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did get an email about a used '09 Rockhopper Comp for $650 with some decent upgrades, so I may have to look into them also. Seems like they have a good component list for a great price!

I also got an email about a used '07 or '08 GF Tassajara Disc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would probably get the 6000 as well. I was also looking for an entry level bike about a week or two ago. I compared parts and grouped similar bikes in the same category. From there, I tried as many as I could at LBS and got one that I can still somewhat fit in my budget with what I thought was better parts after reading suggestions and fits the best while riding.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
OhioriderAaron said:
I did get an email about a used '09 Rockhopper Comp for $650 with some decent upgrades, so I may have to look into them also. Seems like they have a good component list for a great price!

I also got an email about a used '07 or '08 GF Tassajara Disc.
go test ride the rockhopper if u can and trust me u will be in love with it and at the price its a steal as long as there are no major problems:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well another guy has an '06 or '07 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with XTR Shift and brake levers, Avid BB7 Disk brakes, Cane Creek headset, Rock Shox Judy fork, Thomson stem, lock on grips, Easton/Bontrager seatpost. What a good price for it? I may be able to get it for 500 but I wasnt sure if that was a good deal or not..

·
Registered
128 Posts
$500 seems a little high, especially if it has some miles on it. Rock Shox Judy fork is kind of weak. My guess is $350 if in great shape with low miles otherwise maybe $300.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts