Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade from my son's Haro Flightline 20. It's been a good bike and he is riding the trails more. I'd like lighter and willing to spend more for the right bike. Hydraulic disc and easy shimano trigger shifters preferred.

Some options I've considered-

Specialized Hotrock 24 Disc- Can get down to 26 pounds for about $780. Buying for $600. Don't really like the 3x drivetrain. Want easy trigger shifters.

Opus Fever 24. Like the bike but wish I could see it in person. Looks like 26 pounds. Love the way it looks. Might be able t find one in Canada that someone will ship. Can get locally for maybe $750 maybe lower.

Islabike Creigh 24. 23 pounds and a nice 1x10 drivetrain. Most expensive at $999 and then need to ship it and put it together. I am average at best in terms of maintenance and would rather pay to ensure its good. Really like everything about it but the price and the fact that I can't see it.

Haven't looked into the Scott's as I preferred disc brakes and locally no one could get one.

Any info on any of these would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Islabikes Creig will come pretty much assembled. You will just need to fit the wheels and turn the bars. Shipping costs are on their website for the US I believe? It is a fantastic bike!

·
Registered
334 Posts
My son has just moved up to 24" wheels. We picked up a Specialized Hotrock that the last owners had upgraded to disc and trigger shifters. It is a good bike but it is heavy (steel bars!). I will be upgrading the fork and the bars, and probably seatpost. I would look into changing it into 2x but I think my son is so proud of having so many gears that he probably wouldn't let me... It will be a good bike when I've finished with it, but still on the fairly heavy side.

The Opus looks really goo, but if I could afford it I would go for the Islabike.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I just bought my daughter a Cannondale Race 24 for $500- it's V-brakes, but it comes with a RST First Air fork and disk mounts on the frame and fork. I'll end up re-lacing the rims to some disc hubs and throwing on some mechanical disks.

The Islabikes is nice, but you can end up with a much better bike starting with the Race 24 and using the $400 to upgrade the drive train, bars etc.. That's what I did with my Son's Marin Bayview Trail, but I wish the Cannondale had been out then, would have saved me a fair chuck of change.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
None yet.

First ride was done in on the multiuse path from Regan international Airport into Washington, DC. Some ******* decided it was race day, decide to fly past my daughter on the right at a section of the trail that split to the right.

Never yelled on your right or anything, as we're riding I tell my daughter to turn right, just as she does I heard the skidding and watched fly him past me and T-bone her.

I didn't realize he almost tacoed the front wheel and told him to get the hell out of my face and leave. The more he talked the closer I came to just going off on him.
So I'm getting the hubs to build disc wheels and shopping a good deal on BB5 or BB7s.

Here's one off the Web:
DSCN6137_m.JPG

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Paved rail-trails are d-bag magnets. Hope it didn't put your daughter off riding at all.
Fine some dirt to ride, it helps filter out the worst of the clowns for the most part. Unless you've got a lot of Strav*******s in your neck of the woods. They can be just as bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hope your daughter was alright and still up for riding!

The people were pretty considerate on the Capitol Crescent Trail the one time I went there with the family. Slower people and walkers stayed to the right and would usually ring a bell when passing. I kind of messed up because heard a bell ringing a couple times behind me but didn't move because thought it was my wife. But turned out it was someone trying to pass me. They didn't say anything to me when they eventually passed me though.

It was a lot different then the weekend before that on the C&O Canal where it was packed with people. With groups of people walking that took the entire span of the path and not moving even after ringing the bell and shouting.

So not everyone on rail trails are that bad. (based on my one time experience...)

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
No, you're right - most people are just out there enjoying themselves. I was thinking about the guys you run into looking to get their 'training' in while dodging strollers. That takes a special breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts