Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What should I do?

• Trade bicycle in for new bike.

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Fix your fork. Call the manufacturer and see if you can send it in. That is usually the best course of action with suspension. It is probably less expensive than you imagine. Its a bike, not a car.

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
88 Posts
Personally, I would get a new fox front fork, & a rear shock also. Then either be good with that, or if money permits do a few more upgrades.

·
Danger Zone
280 Posts
The question of "repair old bike or buy new bike" almost always ends up with buying a new bike... or at least for me it does. You'll always be able to convince yourself of a reason to buy a new one.

So much has changed between 2005 in geometry and new component standards that you'll very likely never be able to make enough upgrades to make your bike ride like a newer (even low-ish end) bike. A low end bike with modern geometry is almost guaranteed to be a more enjoyable ride than a high end bike with outdated geometry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper that I bought new some 15 years ago. Spent most of the last 15 years as a cruise-around-the-neighborhood bike and never really used the way it was intended. Every few years I'd bring it in for a tune up and just keep riding it. It's essentially an old bike in pristine condition. I've recently begun trail riding with my young children who are just getting into riding. They have brand new Marin Bayview Trail bikes which are quite nice. Lately, I've noticed the shocks on my Stumpjumper are in poor shape and the lockouts aren't even working. I'm reluctant to bring it in knowing that it's going to cost me at least a few hundred bucks just to get them fully functional again. My dilemma is whether or not to dump another few hundred bucks into this aging bike to keep it going or just sell it for a couple hundred bucks and get a new one knowing full well that I won't be able to get into a modern-day equivalent without spending at least $1500. Or am I just better off replacing my shocks with new ones and ride it out as I really don't have any issues with the bike otherwise.

This is the exact bike I currently have with corresponding components listed.
2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100 - Bicycle Details - BicycleBlueBook.com
I'd get a Roscoe 8

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
Fix your fork. Call the manufacturer and see if you can send it in. That is usually the best course of action with suspension. It is probably less expensive than you imagine. Its a bike, not a car.
You mean the fork manufacturer right?

The question of "repair old bike or buy new bike" almost always ends up with buying a new bike... or at least for me it does. You'll always be able to convince yourself of a reason to buy a new one.

So much has changed between 2005 in geometry and new component standards that you'll very likely never be able to make enough upgrades to make your bike ride like a newer (even low-ish end) bike. A low end bike with modern geometry is almost guaranteed to be a more enjoyable ride than a high end bike with outdated geometry.
I was in the process of upgrading my 2008 Kona Coiler when a local shop had a going out of business sale and I picked up a new bike for 50% off.... I was not expecting such a good deal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know I might get flames for this, but I don't see the new geometry being essential, at least for average riders. My 2009 hardtail just feels right and climbs like a billy goat. I've got some #2 segments on Strava and a lot of top 10 spots with it, so it's plenty capable. My 2018 full suspension feels like somebody stretched the front wheel out from the bike an extra foot and feels unnaturally low. Both have their strengths, but I've ridden thousands of miles on that hardtail with outdated geometry and still love doing it.

I love my 2x drivetrain too. It doesn't have a dropper, or hydraulic disc brakes either. When I'm on that bike around a lot of riders I've never met, I always attract people that want to look at it and talk about how they wanted one or have/had one like it, and the conversations never include anything about how much it sucks because it's not modern. Well, except for the fork issue.

I might be wrong, but I don't think every bike out there can be made to run a tapered fork with a spacer cup on the bottom of the headset.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
I know I might get flames for this, but I don't see the new geometry being essential, at least for average riders. My 2009 hardtail just feels right and climbs like a billy goat. I've got some #2 segments on Strava and a lot of top 10 spots with it, so it's plenty capable. My 2018 full suspension feels like somebody stretched the front wheel out from the bike an extra foot and feels unnaturally low. Both have their strengths, but I've ridden thousands of miles on that hardtail with outdated geometry and still love doing it.

I love my 2x drivetrain too. It doesn't have a dropper, or hydraulic disc brakes either. When I'm on that bike around a lot of riders I've never met, I always attract people that want to look at it and talk about how they wanted one or have/had one like it, and the conversations never include anything about how much it sucks because it's not modern. Well, except for the fork issue.

I might be wrong, but I don't think every bike out there can be made to run a tapered fork with a spacer cup on the bottom of the headset.
you are not wrong.

With bikes it is 80% rider and 20% bike. I know guys who can climb a hill faster than me on a heavy single speed beach cruiser.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You make some great points. I have never heard of this option though. I thought the tapered section of the steerer tube would be too long to work with a reducer cup, or if a reducer cup was made stack height would go through the roof. Do you have a link for such a headset/adapter to make a tapered steerer work on a 1 1/8 straight head tube? Or did I misinterpret that?
Hope will be from top of my head, mail them to get proper sizing for your frame, also mailing any other manufacturer will eliminate any headaches at all;

plenty of uk manufacturer use still straight headtubes and modern forks(btr as for example) 30 min on your gmail will get you best suitable options for your bike

·
Registered
420 Posts
That bike will always be short, tall, and steep. The seat tube looks like it's not dropper-friendly. Sell it, get something modern.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,138 Posts
You make some great points. I have never heard of this option though. I thought the tapered section of the steerer tube would be too long to work with a reducer cup, or if a reducer cup was made stack height would go through the roof. Do you have a link for such a headset/adapter to make a tapered steerer work on a 1 1/8 straight head tube? Or did I misinterpret that?
In order to use the method @Nick_M references, the frame must have a 44mm head tube, which requires the use of a "zero stack" upper headset cup. Looking at the specs on the bike you have, it appears as though it has a 34mm head tube with regular external cups already. You cannot fit a tapered steerer into a 34mm head tube. It doesn't work.

This can help put pictures on these concepts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That bike will always be short, tall, and steep. The seat tube looks like it's not dropper-friendly. Sell it, get something modern.
That is a reasonable point, but on the other hand consider how much $ you can get for the bike and how much it is worth to you to have a beater/ commuter/ backup bike kicking around. One point against the backup bike idea is how much $ you might have to put into suspension, but then again if it gets you from point A to point B you might get away with ignoring the suspension shortcomings.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The Manitou Black is a decent fork. I'm surprised the bike has V brakes on it though. I'd service the fork and slowly spruce it up. I have bikes from 04, 05, 06, all have short stems, wide bars, decent tyres and 1x drivetrains, and they're great to ride. I even got a tiny dropper onto one with an interrupted seat tube. Sure I'm not doing grade 5 descents on them, well one of them I can, but you can still have fun and ride the bike into the ground. Even if you get a new bike and ride it a bit you'll need to service the suspension after a year.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
The Manitou Black is a decent fork. I'm surprised the bike has V brakes on it though. I'd service the fork and slowly spruce it up. I have bikes from 04, 05, 06, all have short stems, wide bars, decent tyres and 1x drivetrains, and they're great to ride. I even got a tiny dropper onto one with an interrupted seat tube. Sure I'm not doing grade 5 descents on them, well one of them I can, but you can still have fun and ride the bike into the ground. Even if you get a new bike and ride it a bit you'll need to service the suspension after a year.
That is rad. I love seeing older bike frames with newer setups.

·
Registered
190 Posts
you are not wrong.

With bikes it is 80% rider and 20% bike. I know guys who can climb a hill faster than me on a heavy single speed beach cruiser.
That 20% can deliver you so much more pleasure;

cassio watch show you time same do Apple Watch, so do Tissot’s, Rolex whatever brand u prefer;

any person asking about upgrade, should ask: $$$?
Not enough- ride what u have
Enough- buy best possible option, in case old thing bring u warm memories, store it

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
That 20% can deliver you so much more pleasure;

cassio watch show you time same do Apple Watch, so do Tissot’s, Rolex whatever brand u prefer;

any person asking about upgrade, should ask: $$$?
Not enough- ride what u have
Enough- buy best possible option, in case old thing bring u warm memories, store it
The OP was pretty clear that he does not need more bike, he just needs something to cruise with the kids. So in his case I really think fixing and minor upgrades are the best path for now.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts