Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some new brakes for a new freeride/dh bike and am having trouble deciding on either the Hope M4s or the 6Tis. The difference in cost in not a huge problem to me, although I don't know if I need the 6s. I was originally planing on dual 8 inch rotors, but it looks like a lot of people use the 7 inch ones in the rear (understandably). Basically here are my options:

1. M6 8in front/M6 8in rear
2. M6 8in front/M6 7in rear
3. M4 8in front/M4 8in rear
4. M4 8in front/M4 7in rear
5. M6 8in front/M4 8in rear

This will be on a VP-Free/888 with a double ring used for free riding and shuttle runs.

Would I be able to use the M6s, or are they overkill. Is there any downside to running an 8 in rotor in the rear (I would like my parts to be interchangable).

Two other things concern me about the 6s. Can I get pads for them (I see M4 pads everywhere, but few M6s)? Does the fact that they are more complicated increase the maintenance and decrease the durability of the brakes?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Unless you're...

...really big and/or will be going really fast, really often, the M4s should be adequate in 8/8 (really big or really fast), 8/7 or 8/8, 7/7, or 7/6 (light but still fast).

I run the (non-Mono) M4s on my RFX currently 7/7 as I'm leery of running 8" on pre-05 Fox Forx. Note, I go 240+ with gear. You can change rotor sizes by a) getting a new rotor and b) swapping calipers halves. Hope also makes a 20mm adapter should you want to temporarily increase rotor size (best done in rear) without dealing with disassembly and bleeding, etc.

The only time I've even approached the limits on these things was on a run down the "Ribbon" in Grand Junction - long, relatively flat stone DH expanses + clyde arse = serious momentum to bring to a halt. Wasn't paying attention and scorched my rear pads slightly...nothing a little sanding didn't fix.

Note, the only thing that will be interchangeable if running the same size rotors front and rear will be the rotors and bolt. The calipers have different offset sizing due to the difference in space between the relative position of the axles from the front and rear IS mounting positions.

Great brakes, but can be finicky to set up initially. I bleed them every now and then but I haven't had any rub or chime issues. Rear is finally due for new pads after 18 months. Great modulation from feathery to STOP NOW!

Sean

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soupboy said:
...really big and/or will be going really fast, really often, the M4s should be adequate in 8/8 (really big or really fast), 8/7 or 8/8, 7/7, or 7/6 (light but still fast).

I run the (non-Mono) M4s on my RFX currently 7/7 as I'm leery of running 8" on pre-05 Fox Forx. Note, I go 240+ with gear. You can change rotor sizes by a) getting a new rotor and b) swapping calipers halves. Hope also makes a 20mm adapter should you want to temporarily increase rotor size (best done in rear) without dealing with disassembly and bleeding, etc.

The only time I've even approached the limits on these things was on a run down the "Ribbon" in Grand Junction - long, relatively flat stone DH expanses + clyde arse = serious momentum to bring to a halt. Wasn't paying attention and scorched my rear pads slightly...nothing a little sanding didn't fix.

Note, the only thing that will be interchangeable if running the same size rotors front and rear will be the rotors and bolt. The calipers have different offset sizing due to the difference in space between the relative position of the axles from the front and rear IS mounting positions.

Great brakes, but can be finicky to set up initially. I bleed them every now and then but I haven't had any rub or chime issues. Rear is finally due for new pads after 18 months. Great modulation from feathery to STOP NOW!

Sean
Thanks for the input Sean. I may just go with 2x8 M4s or 8/7 M4s then... since they sound like plenty of brake. I am really leaning towards no M6ti in the rear... just overkill there... maybe I'll do the M6Ti in the front and an M4 in the rear.

Does anyone know if I can use an M6 rotor on an M4 brake?

Thanks

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
I just got m4s with 8" front and 7" rear. INSANE amount of power. i'm mostly an aggresive XC rider, and they're complete overkill for me. it's like a big soft catcher's mitt slowing me down, smooth, modulated and incredibly powerful. The Mono6tis are cool, but it seems like a lot of extra complexity with the 2 piece floating rotor and extra pistons.. Also the M4 pads are more available.
I guess if you want the craziest brakes out there, go for the M6.. but the M4s are definitely a very capable brake.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
endurowanker said:
I just got m4s with 8" front and 7" rear. INSANE amount of power. i'm mostly an aggresive XC rider, and they're complete overkill for me. it's like a big soft catcher's mitt slowing me down, smooth, modulated and incredibly powerful. The Mono6tis are cool, but it seems like a lot of extra complexity with the 2 piece floating rotor and extra pistons.. Also the M4 pads are more available.
I guess if you want the craziest brakes out there, go for the M6.. but the M4s are definitely a very capable brake.
I went with the 8/7 M4s. Only a few rides on them, but I am very impressed. Not necessarily much more power than Hayes, but so much more control. I don't think I regret not getting the 6Tis, although I'm sure they are great brakes too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.