Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 2 hour ride on Saturday with an average power of 272 watts (I was targeting 275 and peaked at 278 at about 1:10) after a good climb. which puts me at 3.16 watts/kg for the 2 hour time period (189 pounds).

My HR peaked at 90% (167) of max and averaged 82% (153) of max for the ride, so I definitely had more in me, at least cardio wide (my LT is 172ish), my legs certainly hurt when I was done this this tho.

Any idea if this are decent #s?

I also found that I could hold a higher power output at 95-100 cadence than 90ish, is this normal too?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
fsrftc said:
I did a 2 hour ride on Saturday with an average power of 272 watts (I was targeting 275 and peaked at 278 at about 1:10) after a good climb. which puts me at 3.16 watts/kg for the 2 hour time period (189 pounds).

My HR peaked at 90% (167) of max and averaged 82% (153) of max for the ride, so I definitely had more in me, at least cardio wide (my LT is 172ish), my legs certainly hurt when I was done this this tho.

Any idea if this are decent #s?

I also found that I could hold a higher power output at 95-100 cadence than 90ish, is this normal too?
For a big guy - they're pretty good. Solid sport level racer...

Better is to do a 1 hour test... which might get you up around 300w based on the numbers you showed us here, and more importantly is what is typically used as your "FT" number - Functional Threshold.

Screw HR, and go by power, then back-in the associated HR data! Though if it looks like your power is that good with what you are assuming is "low" on your HR / LT numbers, you might surprise yourself.

FWIW, I took my powertap off my road bike, as it was too depressing as training waned. I was at 320-325W FT late winter, weighing in at about 172 (78Kg) in pretty bad shape - making about a 4.1 P/W ratio at FT. I was hoping to hit a P/W ratio of 5 by dropping a bit of weight and working that fitness HARD. I found HR was easy to cheat by, while power is brutally unforgiving...

Life prevailed, and training is all but ceased now!

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
glenzx said:
For a big guy - they're pretty good. Solid sport level racer...

Better is to do a 1 hour test... which might get you up around 300w based on the numbers you showed us here, and more importantly is what is typically used as your "FT" number - Functional Threshold.

Screw HR, and go by power, then back-in the associated HR data! Though if it looks like your power is that good with what you are assuming is "low" on your HR / LT numbers, you might surprise yourself.

FWIW, I took my powertap off my road bike, as it was too depressing as training waned. I was at 320-325W FT late winter, weighing in at about 172 (78Kg) in pretty bad shape - making about a 4.1 P/W ratio at FT. I was hoping to hit a P/W ratio of 5 by dropping a bit of weight and working that fitness HARD. I found HR was easy to cheat by, while power is brutally unforgiving...

Life prevailed, and training is all but ceased now!
Why has training all but ceased?

Yes, the power meter is a cruel mistress, but it should motivate, not discourage.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Patchito said:
Why has training all but ceased?

Yes, the power meter is a cruel mistress, but it should motivate, not discourage.
Ah - my "light weeks" had been 8-9 hours, which now seems like an awesome, full week!

Kid duties, house duties, and work have finally caught up with me, and taken over. I'm lucky to get out (1) time for 2-4 hours on the weekend, about every other weekend. Saddle time is slowly increasing, since my 8 month old seems to enjoy his pimpin trailer - so we'll see.

The PT is still "off" since I had my race wheels on for the NM State Crit Championships 5 weeks ago. That was the last time I even rode the road bike!

Good news is a weekend of riding and hangin' is approaching - down in Silver City, NM - with some pals old and new.

Once the dust settles in life, I'll get back "on", though likley not ever like before, when a 15 hour week was average, as were podiums at big races, alas. I will use the PT, of course - as it is so accurate - and unforgiving - it helps make the most out of training time / lack of.

glen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Glen,
Seems like I am going through a similar phase. I started training with a HR monitor for 2 years then switched to riding with the PT. While work and life got hectic in May, I lost my passion for riding. Seems like I could never ride hard enough and nothing was ever good enough. Even my so called "easy" rides this year were a workout. It's a love hate realtionship with the PT.
I'm kinda bummed because I think I was the fastest I have ever been. I raced semi-pro this year. I don't want to loose the fitness that I built over the winter but just haven't felt motivated.
Don't know WTF is going on.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
cinnoman monkey said:
Hey Glen,
Seems like I am going through a similar phase. I started training with a HR monitor for 2 years then switched to riding with the PT. While work and life got hectic in May, I lost my passion for riding. Seems like I could never ride hard enough and nothing was ever good enough. Even my so called "easy" rides this year were a workout. It's a love hate realtionship with the PT.
I'm kinda bummed because I think I was the fastest I have ever been. I raced semi-pro this year. I don't want to loose the fitness that I built over the winter but just haven't felt motivated.
Don't know WTF is going on.
Life seems to cycle - so to speak - in and out of these sort of modes....

I still love riding, but do lament the loss of fitness - especially at 37 y.o., as I know it'll take a few seasons to regain/build when I do start ramping up training. Hell, I noted yesterday that my azz hurt from a short commute!

THAT was weird, as i's been years since I've ridden THAT infrequently.

My buddies I train/ride/race with who have gone through similar cycles assure me that with new kid(s) it's always this way. After the first year or two, it starts getting easier/better, and riding/training can resume. I am doing trailer intervals at least! It'll be fun to hook up the trailer on the road bike, with the PT, and see THOSE numbers, especially on moderate climbs. Yow! In the meantime, I opt for the comfort of the mtn bike for the trailer-pull, and frankly, when I do get to ride - I hit the trails nowadays.

How old are you? Semi-Pro is serious business, and if you were in good enough shape to race SP - I bet you can get it back relatively quickly... sounds like figuring out a balance with work and such will be key.

It is hard to not get depressed though - last year I was on the podium with Tinker, and generally rockin' XC and endurance races.

Guess I'll throw down with the 40+ hammers one day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.