Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Specialized Rockhopper now (had it for a little over a year). I thought about upgrading components but I don't want to put more money into components than it is worth.
A hard tail is fine with me. It is all I have ever had so I'm used to getting out of the saddle. I have thought about disc brakes but they greatly increase the price of the bikes.
My profile: I ride XC, plan on getting into racing more this summer, weigh in at 128lb, don't plan on getting into any downhill or any huge drops on purpose.
My current bike shifts like crap, chain jumps off even in flats, etc. I have had adjustments, tune ups, etc and I was thinking about new components for my drivetrain but maybe it is time to make my Rockhopper my commute bike.
Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Giant Rainier

brownieinSC said:
I have a Specialized Rockhopper now (had it for a little over a year). I thought about upgrading components but I don't want to put more money into components than it is worth.
A hard tail is fine with me. It is all I have ever had so I'm used to getting out of the saddle. I have thought about disc brakes but they greatly increase the price of the bikes.
My profile: I ride XC, plan on getting into racing more this summer, weigh in at 128lb, don't plan on getting into any downhill or any huge drops on purpose.
My current bike shifts like crap, chain jumps off even in flats, etc. I have had adjustments, tune ups, etc and I was thinking about new components for my drivetrain but maybe it is time to make my Rockhopper my commute bike.
Thanks
Rainier is a very good choice in this price range, especially if you can come up with an '04 leftover. Nicely spec'd out, and basically a standard by which many hardtails are compared to.

Clyde

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Check out IBEX

brownieinSC said:
Thanks
Wanted to reply, because I found this info in a similar post. Check out Ibexbikes.com

I bought an Ignition-2 last spring and took it everyhere in Colorado and Utah. This winter I bought an Ignition-3 and this bike is great. Good weight, about 29-32 lbs, Hayes disk brakes, Shimano derailer, Marzocchi air/coil front fork. current asking price $729.

I bought mine at a discount in December during presale. The price is the reason I have two great bikes now. Jack the owner is good to the people that buy from him. Most the time when I call he answers the phone. Kind of like having a mom and pop bike manufacturer.

The one down fall, you wont be able to preride the bike. They have NO store fronts. You can only order online. You may want to ask about their return policy, I don't know, I never returned mine.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice

I went and started checking out bikes at one lbs last night and am going to another today.
That is really cheap for a fs bike at Ibex.
Most of the shops are so busy right now they don' t have any sells going on. The one I went to last night said as soon as he gets a bike built someone is buying it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out your local Raleigh dealer. Look at the M80 or Lahar. You'll get disc brakes with nice components for a great price! Frame comes with a lifetime warranty as well. I have an 04 M80 and it's been a great bike. I looked at Cannondale, Jamis, Specialized, Trek, Giant and Gary Fishers before purchasing the Raleigh. None of them could touch the components for the price.

Lahar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.