Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This third installment of the Slatyfork Shuffle crew would converge on Douthat State Park near Clifton Forge, VA. Scott24 and I woke to a bright moon, clear skies and 40 degree temperatures on Saturday morning as we began our journey to Douthat. Anxious to meet our friends again and strike out on the trails our 4:00 a.m. start came easily. However as we grew nearer to Bath County our hopes of a different beginning dwindled. The roads were wet, the skies cloudy and temperatures still hadn't climbed above 43 degress at 8:30 a.m. As we entered Virginia from Pocahontas County WV we caught up with the slow moving rains that seemed to hover over Bath County. The rest of the Debauchery crew had arrived on Friday and suffered the typical start to our gatherings. RAIN ! And lots of it.

As we drove up to camp and were pleased to see many of our friends from the Slatyfork Shuffle and Moonrock Madness. Capt_phun (who we thank for doing most the legwork to assemble the group this time) was there as well as Chili, Crashedandburned and davis. We were pleased to see they hadn't been washed away by the 6 plus inches of rain the area had received.

In no time at all the tent was set and all our gear stowed inside out of the rain. In bewteen the remaining showers we would gather around a smoldering campfire to catch what heat we could and to discuss our plans for the ride. The temperatures remained in the 40's most of the day and the rains subsided by mid afternoon however we reluctantly agreed to allow the trails a little more time to dry before we ventured onto them. The campfire, meals, favorite beverages and camaraderie kept us busy till late, even though the thoughts of all the riding we were missing was still on everyones mind.

It was still cloudy and cool the next morning however we prepared for our ride. There was no rain in the forcast so that was a great feeling.

After checking some last minute directions we were off to the trailhead.

Douthat offers some great downhills, however the price you pay for those downhills are long grueling climbs and a few snags;) . However this time of year the views can be spectacular. Here are just a few pictures of Scott24 and trail pics on the way to the top.

Only a few more yards to the top. What a climb for 11 year old Scott24 and the old man running the camera :D .

The trails were in great shape and had shed the water well. Our climbs were rewarded with a few fast downhill trails that brought us out right at our camp.

Time to kick back for some refreshments after the ride and stoke up the fire.

Dinner time at Douthat prepared by Chef Chili :thumbsup: .

Capt_phun just had too much phun. :)

Monday morning found us reluctantly packing for the return trip to our homes. With fond memories to kept us till the next gathering.

Sure the ride time missed was a little disappointing, the trip for many of us expensive, but the time spent with friends around the campfire and on the trail? As they say -
PRICELESS.

ODN

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's amazing how fast those trails drain after rain. We rode up there early the saturday morning before last and it was raining on our way there. Temps were a bit higher and the trails drained and were in tip top within 45 minutes. We got a nice ride up Stoney run, out middle mountain and down salt stump before we left to hit up the upper Gauley. Fall is great, nice temps, beautiful trail scenery and.... GAULEY SEASON!!!!!!

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Doug-

I also felt compelled to stop at the Ingall's Overlook. What a view. Did you and Malibu end up getting to ride Two Lick on your way through Pocahontas?

Great time, guys. Looking forward to the next one, although the liver probably isn't.

·
Registered
624 Posts
How come in these gathering photos there is ALWAYS a picture of Capt_Phun passed out in his chair with a beer in his hand? :D

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here's my contribution:

1) Before moonshine
2) AFTER moonshine! :thumbsup: :D
3) Don't we all look dry. Please note the "manly" pink "bubba keg" that I am holding which at this point is filled w/ Jack-N-Coke!:D
4) A stream crossing on the 6 mile singletract climb to the top

Oh, and Doug, if you decide to bring Snotty's sister to the next one, just don't put her in a bonnet and I think she'll do fine.;)

Attachments

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neen said:
How come in these gathering photos there is ALWAYS a picture of Capt_Phun passed out in his chair with a beer in his hand? :D
It's just difficult to find him in anything but his normal state. Besides, we were actually
taking pictures of the ashes that had fallen on this inanimate object. Whoops, guess
that is the Capt.! ! :madman:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow ! What a great time!

Hey guys I had fun at Dougthat.:D I hope you did to.:thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing every one again.... Especially Capt_phun so I can kick him in the knee.;)

Malibu.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Hey Doug-

Thanks for those before/after shots! I never realized that I was THAT good looking!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Geezus, you guys are fricken RAIN MAGNETS!!! Remind me not to invite you to my next picnic!:D

Great pics!!!

Personally my bike is soon going to report me for neglect -- too much work and too much night shift. :cryin:

Glad it was great for yinz.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
davis said:
Hey Doug - I never realized that I was THAT good looking!
Hey Doug, you're not. You were drunk and that is an imposter..;)

The other Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts