Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Death March

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Rideorsit 
#1 ·
Well yesterday we did the ( Squirrel gap/ Turkey pen) ride route from the PAS web site. Out of the 21 miles I think 19 were up hill.After being on our "A" game on Squirrel gap we finally got to Black Mtn. Squirrel gap has always seemed to me as one of the most technical trails in Pisgah, nothing hard just unlimited roots and rocks.The hike a bike up Black Mtn. a little over 1.5 miles was fun! Then Turkey pen Gap is 95% uphill with a couple of steep,knee deep leaf desents that wound up being controlled slides.All in all I'm glad to be able to say I've ridden Turkey Pen Gap " once". Oh and for part of the ride we followed some suspension experts- The ring leader has mad bike skills which we knew already but were reminded by only seeing him off in the distance usually airborne.His side kick " Shaggy" hung back with us mere mortals probably because he brought this Human greyhound of a Mtn. Biker- if the muddy single speed could not be peddaled it could be pushed in a full sprint.When the trio turned off I finally came out of my oxygen deprived hallucinogenic state and wondered how I was able to pedal close enough to see them leave! Another great day in PISGAH:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Yeah, makes sense. doesn't it?

froth14 said:
Cruso, was that what your method of attacking TPG was?!?!?!
I did ride heartbreak last weekend in the ice, then one ride up north boundary and down ingle's field @ 20 degrees in the dark. I definitely wasn't ready for this ride but I suffered through it, grinning all the way:D

I honestly feel like a complete beginner again. I haven't been off the bike that long in the last decade. I can tell you the truth, it goes away a lot quicker than you get it. I only have a couple of months before TMHTE.:eekster:

#11 ·
You should definatly have to do PMBAR as a prerequsite for TMHTE.

PMBAR would entail your turkey pen route but much harder because you start by hiking from the ranger station up black mtn to turkey pen gap trail. Then throw in an out and back to the laurel creek / bradley check point and an out and back to club gap. And that gets you the bare minimum to finish.

OR you can take the man's (fools) route and do the farlow side.

PMBAR = pain
TMHTE is 3 days of that back to back to back with time trails and special tests thrown in just to keep things from getting dull. TMHTE will wreck the best of the best. Much respect to anybody who can finish even half TMHTE.

#13 ·
must be nuts...

...but in the PMBAR I thought TPG was super fun! Love them steep ups and downs! That said I had to finish DQ'd because my partner dropped out after TPG and I went on with another team. Maybe its not for everyone? The climb to farlow in the swank, however, made me want to cry (SS in swank geary in PMBAR.)

#15 ·
HA HA! Shaggy, huh? I had a great time with you guys on that ride. Don't tell anybody, but Kevin and I have actually started putting minuscule jet propulsion devices inside our fork legs. That's probably why any time you saw him, he was in the air! P.S. My friend the greyhound has a number of gold medals from her days racing in the collegiate series. Don't feel too bad, Scooby.

#16 ·
Cluckin' Hyde said:
...but in the PMBAR I thought TPG was super fun! Love them steep ups and downs! That said I had to finish DQ'd because my partner dropped out after TPG and I went on with another team. Maybe its not for everyone? The climb to farlow in the swank, however, made me want to cry (SS in swank geary in PMBAR.)
I can't imagine the climb up to Farlow.. that would be absurd. I've only done it in a truck, and even by truck it took like 20 minutes :eekster:

#19 ·
Death March II

philridebike said:
HA HA! Shaggy, huh? I had a great time with you guys on that ride. Don't tell anybody, but Kevin and I have actually started putting minuscule jet propulsion devices inside our fork legs. That's probably why any time you saw him, he was in the air! P.S. My friend the greyhound has a number of gold medals from her days racing in the collegiate series. Don't feel too bad, Scooby.
Well if you and rocket boy are not working Saturday( I have to ride Saturday to have an extra recovery day!) we are gonna hit the trails again. I've got this 47 pound Walmart Next bike that I'll loan to the collegiate gold metalist, the brakes are rusted closed so I'll at least see her for a minute!

#20 ·
lets march!

Love that loop! I ride that as much as i can. My fav loop! Rode it 3 or 4 times the last month or so..

I start at the gauging station, off of 1206, and climb SMR up the the stairs (buckhorn gap) and then left on Blk Mt trail to Turkey Pen and around to Squirrel back to SMR and down to gauging station. Big fun.. Do it late in day so you can finish with lights.

I also have rode it from the horse stable. Up to Presley gap, left up Blk Mt trail to turkey pen right across turkey to SMR to mulinax, squirrel, back to SMR, up to stairs, then right up stairs on Blk Mt trail over to Club gap and down Avery!!! Thats a nice day in the woods. I threw on my lights at the bridge and rode the last 2-3 hours at night.. Did that last January.

I going to do that loop again soon. Not this week end but next maybe. This weekend xmas jam in ashville!!!!!

I'm riding laurel-pilot Friday, short loop of squirrel on Sat, which is parking at yellow gap on 1206 and down 5015 to laurel creek to squirrel gap to SMR, down to gauging station out road to 1206 turn right, back to yellow gap. Sunday at Fish hatchery maybe..

RIde and Smile

#21 ·
Wow

Rideorsit said:
Love that loop! I ride that as much as i can. My fav loop! Rode it 3 or 4 times the last month or so..

I start at the gauging station, off of 1206, and climb SMR up the the stairs (buckhorn gap) and then left on Blk Mt trail to Turkey Pen and around to Squirrel back to SMR and down to gauging station. Big fun.. Do it late in day so you can finish with lights.

I also have rode it from the horse stable. Up to Presley gap, left up Blk Mt trail to turkey pen right across turkey to SMR to mulinax, squirrel, back to SMR, up to stairs, then right up stairs on Blk Mt trail over to Club gap and down Avery!!! Thats a nice day in the woods. I threw on my lights at the bridge and rode the last 2-3 hours at night.. Did that last January.

I going to do that loop again soon. Not this week end but next maybe. This weekend xmas jam in ashville!!!!!

I'm riding laurel-pilot Friday, short loop of squirrel on Sat, which is parking at yellow gap on 1206 and down 5015 to laurel creek to squirrel gap to SMR, down to gauging station out road to 1206 turn right, back to yellow gap. Sunday at Fish hatchery maybe..

RIde and Smile
That's alot of riding:thumbsup:

#22 ·
Rideorsit said:

RIde and Smile
Scott! I'll be 'working' the xmas jam both nights.... Do you have a usual spot in the crowd you like to go to? Maybe I can find you and share some xmas cheer.

Also, see the bomb thread, I think gauging station road to 1206 may be closed right now... It would suck to get all the way to the gate and have the man say 'turn around and go back the way you came.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.