Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John at Dean says they make them. He also says they look like their cromo fork. I have seen the cromo fork and it looks ok to me. I can't find anything using the search function on any ti dean forks.

So, my question is this, well actually several questions:

1) anyone have a Dean MTB Ti fork?
2) if not, anyone ridden a bike with one or know someone who does?
3) if not, anyone have experience with any ti forks BESIDES the Sibex fork (which I have read enough about to not buy it). I know that spicer has some out there, and I am familiar with those to some degree.

Here is why I ask: I am 200 lbs and still losing weight, but I dont want the fork to fold underneath me. I don't mind flex though, as long as I can still stop just fine. Dean will build a custom one for my frame I believe.

All of you Dean Haters feel free to write whatever, just know that I am fully aware of Dean's slow, slow, slow delivery times. In fact I have a frame being built now. I am only curious about the product, not the customer service.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have had 3 Dean frames and all of them have great. They are well made and the price is hard to beat.

As far as a ti fork for your weight I am not sure if that is a good idea. If it was made with really large diameter tubing it would be ok. It would need to be 1 or 1 1/8 inch tubing and the ride would probably not be much different then a steel fork.

If it is a good price and they will make it stiff enough I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
I had 2

When I rode for Dean 3 years ago, they were just importing them from Xian Changda (Chinese junk, IMO - but they built stuff for Spicer and Airborne as well, I think, which seemed better). I broke both of them. They then gave me a steel fork that was (as far as I can tell) a relabeled generic unicrown. That one I sold because it weighed a ton and rode like crap.

That said, I have no idea if they have started doing them in-house now or what. I'm sure they'll stand behind their product regardless, in my experience they've always been good guys.

-Walt

OrBikbldr said:
John at Dean says they make them. He also says they look like their cromo fork. I have seen the cromo fork and it looks ok to me. I can't find anything using the search function on any ti dean forks.

So, my question is this, well actually several questions:

1) anyone have a Dean MTB Ti fork?
2) if not, anyone ridden a bike with one or know someone who does?
3) if not, anyone have experience with any ti forks BESIDES the Sibex fork (which I have read enough about to not buy it). I know that spicer has some out there, and I am familiar with those to some degree.

Here is why I ask: I am 200 lbs and still losing weight, but I dont want the fork to fold underneath me. I don't mind flex though, as long as I can still stop just fine. Dean will build a custom one for my frame I believe.

All of you Dean Haters feel free to write whatever, just know that I am fully aware of Dean's slow, slow, slow delivery times. In fact I have a frame being built now. I am only curious about the product, not the customer service.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walt said:
When I rode for Dean 3 years ago, they were just importing them from Xian Changda (Chinese junk, IMO - but they built stuff for Spicer and Airborne as well, I think, which seemed better). I broke both of them. They then gave me a steel fork that was (as far as I can tell) a relabeled generic unicrown. That one I sold because it weighed a ton and rode like crap.

That said, I have no idea if they have started doing them in-house now or what. I'm sure they'll stand behind their product regardless, in my experience they've always been good guys.

-Walt
Apparently they are made in house, both the cromo and the ti. Both can be customized as far as length. supposedly both will be fine for my weight. This is all according to conversations with tyler and john at dean.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,706 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
Apparently they are made in house, both the cromo and the ti. Both can be customized as far as length. supposedly both will be fine for my weight. This is all according to conversations with tyler and john at dean.
Just get Walt to build you one. His steel is so, so compliant. And he delivers on time. I know, you are asking about Dean and their Ti. Believe me, I have Ti on the brain as much as anyone, and I am only 160-165 pounds. But Walt's fork is taking away much of my lust for a Ti fork. Now, I want a custom bend Ti handlebar, hahaha.

I am still curious to know what you find out about it, and the cost, etc.
OGG

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OneGearGuy said:
Just get Walt to build you one. His steel is so, so compliant. And he delivers on time. I know, you are asking about Dean and their Ti. Believe me, I have Ti on the brain as much as anyone, and I am only 160-165 pounds. But Walt's fork is taking away much of my lust for a Ti fork. Now, I want a custom bend Ti handlebar, hahaha.

I am still curious to know what you find out about it, and the cost, etc.
OGG
cost is under $400 i believe for the Dean fork, at least that is what they were charging me.

Really it is all about ti. With theTi frame, ti fork would be nice. right now I have a 2005 clearance Reba I picked up for cheap brand new that will go on it until I figure out what ti fork to get. If it were to be steel, there are lots of great options, walt definately is one of the best from what I read. But putting steel on this just doesn't feel "right". A steel fork is going on a Curtlo I am having some work done on. So I have nothing against steel forks in general.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,706 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
cost is under $400 i believe for the Dean fork, at least that is what they were charging me.

Really it is all about ti. With theTi frame, ti fork would be nice. right now I have a 2005 clearance Reba I picked up for cheap brand new that will go on it until I figure out what ti fork to get. If it were to be steel, there are lots of great options, walt definately is one of the best from what I read. But putting steel on this just doesn't feel "right". A steel fork is going on a Curtlo I am having some work done on. So I have nothing against steel forks in general.
Right on. I am curious about the "doesn't feel right" part; have you ridden the frame with a steel fork or is it just a "Ti on Ti" aesthetic kind of a thing? ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OneGearGuy said:
Right on. I am curious about the "doesn't feel right" part; have you ridden the frame with a steel fork or is it just a "Ti on Ti" aesthetic kind of a thing? ;)
no it is just entirely some sort of weird compulsion to make stuff match. I have this problem with other stuff. With clothing stuff has to match, i.e. no white socks with dress pants, no black belts with brown shoes, etc. Things just have to match, (tires on the bike must be the same make, bike part colors must all match [this is solved by usually staying with all black parts] and so on an so forth) or it makes me feel me all "itchy" inside. I am a bit obsessive/compulsive. Drives my wife nuts at times. There is just no way I could put a steel fork on a ti frame no matter how sweet it would perform, just thinking about doing it makes me itchy for some reason. I guess I am a bit nuts...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I've spoken with a few micro-manufacturers about doing Ti forks, after I sold a few 'Spicer-esque' forks which I was less than impressed with. The big issue with Ti forks for me is that the cost of doing them and the minimal weight savings they impart just don't make them worth it.

A nice steel rigid fork weighs in the vicinity of 800g and costs about 250 bucks, but to do a ti fork that was going to ride nice and not implode was going to weigh 650-700g and cost 600-700.

I have to say I haven't ridden the Morati or Sibex forks, so I can't comment on them, but for the sake of 150g and a big chunk of change, I'm not sure how ti forks fit into the grand scheme of things.

On-One has an affordable model if you absolutely must have one. If Dean makes one, they're not US made if they're only 400 bucks. Caveat Emptor.

·
giddy up!
3,248 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
no it is just entirely some sort of weird compulsion to make stuff match. I have this problem with other stuff. With clothing stuff has to match, i.e. no white socks with dress pants, no black belts with brown shoes, etc. Things just have to match, (tires on the bike must be the same make, bike part colors must all match [this is solved by usually staying with all black parts] and so on an so forth) or it makes me feel me all "itchy" inside. I am a bit obsessive/compulsive. Drives my wife nuts at times. There is just no way I could put a steel fork on a ti frame no matter how sweet it would perform, just thinking about doing it makes me itchy for some reason. I guess I am a bit nuts...
How about one of the new Pace forks? It won't necessarily match but it would look hot!

Something about DEAN making a ti fork doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure why..just a gut feeling.

B

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
I can only reply to #3:

I have 2 Spicers and 2 Magmaa Ti forks, plus steel forks (Vicious, byStickel, Dimension, Spicer, Kona, tange and others...). Ride and strength really depends on how the fork is built, you can get ultra light OX-III butted steel legs, which I would keep an eye on as much as a light weight Ti fork. Ti forks are light because they are expensive to make, and who wants to pay alot for a heavy fork? I have no issues putting a good steel fork on a Ti frame, infact they compliment each other.

As far as how they ride, well... they ride just fine - like a good steel fork!

PS: Spicers are made by XACD in Xian, Airbornes are mady by Excel in Bejing. Last I checked.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thylacine said:
I've spoken with a few micro-manufacturers about doing Ti forks, after I sold a few 'Spicer-esque' forks which I was less than impressed with. The big issue with Ti forks for me is that the cost of doing them and the minimal weight savings they impart just don't make them worth it.

A nice steel rigid fork weighs in the vicinity of 800g and costs about 250 bucks, but to do a ti fork that was going to ride nice and not implode was going to weigh 650-700g and cost 600-700.

I have to say I haven't ridden the Morati or Sibex forks, so I can't comment on them, but for the sake of 150g and a big chunk of change, I'm not sure how ti forks fit into the grand scheme of things.

On-One has an affordable model if you absolutely must have one. If Dean makes one, they're not US made if they're only 400 bucks. Caveat Emptor.
supposedly US made, and yes I am getting a deal on one I believe. It is not so much a cost issue as it is a performance issue. I have a few misgivings about ti forks in general, otherwise I would not have posted this thread. I agree about your statements about cromo forks that are pretty sweet and around 800 grams. That would probably be smarter certainly from a cost perspective, but then that really isn't the point for this particular bike. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
donkey said:
How about one of the new Pace forks? It won't necessarily match but it would look hot!

Something about DEAN making a ti fork doesn't sit well with me. I'm not sure why..just a gut feeling.

B
That is one combo that I don't have a problem with. I just am not that patient to wait until next spring or whenever. A couple of the tubes on the bike are carbon wrapped anyway, so the Pace fork would be sweet if I could get one.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,326 Posts
I like white socks with black pants.

Painted to match.Could you live with that?:)
Jeff
OrBikbldr said:

Attachments

·
giddy up!
3,248 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
That is one combo that I don't have a problem with. I just am not that patient to wait until next spring or whenever. A couple of the tubes on the bike are carbon wrapped anyway, so the Pace fork would be sweet if I could get one.
Their website says December....my fingers are double triple crossed.

B

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.