Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not tooooo sure about this set-up, but I am trying to figure things out before a 24 hour race I have coming up in May. I haven't tried running the Pythons with the rigid fork yet. I normally run a Diesel 2.5 UST with pretty low pressure. I might just go back to the dark side and put the Minute back on the front. The longest rigid ride I have done so far was @42 miles in Pisgah.
The thought of PUSHING a sub 21 lb bike up the climbs sounds good though.

Attachments

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
OMG, that is friggin gorgeous man.

teamdicky said:
I am not tooooo sure about this set-up, but I am trying to figure things out before a 24 hour race I have coming up in May. I haven't tried running the Pythons with the rigid fork yet. I normally run a Diesel 2.5 UST with pretty low pressure. I might just go back to the dark side and put the Minute back on the front. The longest rigid ride I have done so far was @42 miles in Pisgah.

·
Wandering not Lost
632 Posts
Rigid for 24?....almost sounds like a medical condition you should seek help for...ugh..

more power to you....my wrists would not survive....I sacrificed them to the 20" gods long ago chasing that skatepark dream....

don't you love the looks of passing a gearie on a SS not to mention the look you will get being fully rigid...

good luck

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No UST version

ATXSS said:
Wouldnt a MutanoRaptor 2.4 be a good compromise with a faster tread and probably lower weight than the Diesel?
I don't think I am leaving UST behind. I have a Spider and a Scorpion that I might try. I wanted to try the lightest option first.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may be heavy because...

Octalink BB
Thomson stem
XMax XL's
Stan's fluid in a real UST tire
959's
Hayes brakes
Surly KM fork

Things like that probably add up.

I REALLY like the looks of the Niner, and I wish I had one for the Trans Rockies. I think it would be ideal. My partner is going to be on a 29'er. I can't justify buying another bike just for that though. I have been staring at their website since it came up. They really built a bike I like the look of. I would prefer ti, but at that price it can't be beat. It is soooooo sexy(for a bike).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Is this a new Colonel?
Maye its a Scout? Anyway, I have been looking at thiese frames, I like these dropouts better than the Modular ones.

Espen

teamdicky said:

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the old style.

I know what you mean. I don't like the Mod style dropouts. I committed to SS'ing and I don't want a bike with extra cable stops I don't want.
Maybe Dean will still make them the old way if you ask.

·
On your left!!!!!
330 Posts
teamdicky said:
I don't think I am leaving UST behind. I have a Spider and a Scorpion that I might try. I wanted to try the lightest option first.
I run the 2.4 mutano rapters with 2scoops of stans .no flats in well over a year.I race and train the crap out of these tires and they have held up very well.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No rigid fork for 24 hour race

I gave the course a whirl today with this set-up. It is a no go. The Python up front has problems with the pine needles and there are alot of corners that will get slippery when the dew falls. I am going with a bigger Scorpion.
I don't think I can trust myself on a rigid fork at 3:00 am. I won't have the precise handling required to pilot the rigid fork at night. I'm gonna put the crutch back on(Manitou Minute) and try again this coming weekend. It has been awhile since I have done a 24 hour race, and I have a few goals I need to accomplish.
I really got into the rigid thing more than I thought and I feel it is going to spend alot of time on the bike. I guess my sussy fork will be well rested whenever I call it into action. It is just going to have to come off for a while.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Keep em Rigid

Dude you have to keep the Dean rigid, that is a beatiful bike, I don;t think I could built a better single. Also riding rigid for a 24 hour race is not that bad, don't have to worry about the fork blowing out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.