Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on a trip, and I grabbed the November DirtRag for some easy reading. There is a review of the new Dean Ace 29er. I looked at the bike, and it looks like the rear triangle has been designed by Mr. Mondo Hub himself. I can't confirm it but it does look like Devin's work.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=829

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trail717 said:
Both Dean and Lenz hav been running this rear end for some time (yrs??) (see their web sites) on 26ers, any one know where the design first came from??
I don't know who's design it is. The interesting part is the Dean has the pivot around the bottom bracket, where the Lenz has the pivot behind the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Lenz...

jl said:
I don't know who's design it is. The interesting part is the Dean has the pivot around the bottom bracket, where the Lenz has the pivot behind the bottom bracket.
has a concentric pivot model that's offered in 26" wheels. Not sure of the model name, but they do use a pivot around the BB like this one. Devin also builds bikes for Zinn with that pivot location.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dean has it on 29, not Lenz

Nater said:
has a concentric pivot model that's offered in 26" wheels. Not sure of the model name, but they do use a pivot around the BB like this one. Devin also builds bikes for Zinn with that pivot location.
Ya, the Dean 29 Ace has a pivot as shown in the picture (my Dean 26er Ace)

Devin just has it on his 26 model (not on the Lev, to deal with clearance issues?)
As mentioned Devin does it for Zinn so maybe a Zinn 29er has it to?

Anyway I was just kind of curious as to where the original design/idea came from, I think it might pre-date both Devin and Dean??:confused:

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
That closeup photo looks pretty darn similar to my Lev: tubing and CNC shaping, weld work, bolt location, everything. Would not be at all surprised to find it's Devin's work.

·
Registered
19,099 Posts
trail717 said:
Ya, the Dean 29 Ace has a pivot as shown in the picture (my Dean 26er Ace)

Devin just has it on his 26 model (not on the Lev, to deal with clearance issues?)
As mentioned Devin does it for Zinn so maybe a Zinn 29er has it to?

Anyway I was just kind of curious as to where the original design/idea came from, I think it might pre-date both Devin and Dean??:confused:
Are you asking about he concentric pivot design? Lenz made his Contrilink way back in 1997, and I recall not having seen such a setup before.

I had one of these Bouldervore SP bikes in 1998:
http://www.lenzsport.com/bouldervore sp.html

There was another builder back then that had a concentric BB design but the name eludes me. I can picture the bike though. It was thought of as more of a DH design, had a long swingarm and long front-cneter, was a red/yellow/orange fade, used big sealed bearings for the pivot, and I think the name began with an R. Retro-something?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone had tried a concentric pivot back in the 1800's though.

·
CP
198 Posts
Nat said:
Are you asking about he concentric pivot design? Lenz made his Contrilink way back in 1997, and I recall not having seen such a setup before.

http://www.lenzsport.com/bouldervore sp.html

There was another builder back then that had a concentric BB design but the name eludes me. I can picture the bike though. It was thought of as more of a DH design, had a long swingarm and long front-cneter, was a red/yellow/orange fade, used big sealed bearings for the pivot, and I think the name began with an R. Retro-something?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone had tried a concentric pivot back in the 1800's though.
Cove Bikes also use concentric pivot - see the "G-Spot"

Ted Wojcik was buying rear ends from Devin Lenz for his "Solution" 5&5 26" bike, I've also heard rumblings that this may not be the case anymore though...

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
Nat said:

http://www.lenzsport.com/bouldervore%20sp.html

Rotec, who has recently resurfaced up in WA but with a different design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.