Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the news from John at Dean today that it is on its way. ships out tomorrow. I had him weigh it for me while I was salivating on the phone. 2 lbs and 13 ounces is the total. Serious. I asked him if he was sure....damn I can't wait.

I asked if it was going to crumple under me, and he just laughed, he said I would be fine. It is a cross between a medium and a large.

Still in awe about the weight, I told a friend about the weight and he said that is what his serotta road frame weighs about the same, so it is not impossible. If it were anybody but Dean or some other similarly experienced company I would worry...

Anyway, I am sure I will have this for a long time, I will post pics and a ride report when I can.

By the way, total time was almost three months to the day for those who are curious about Dean's reputation of slow delivery. I was quoted 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
I was quoted 6 weeks or so.
That's one reason I decided not to nut up and go for the Ti frame. Maybe when I have another bike to ride while I'm waiting.....but not when it would be my only bike.... :(

Did you happen to visit their shop? Their address is next to Boulder Ski Deals on Arapahoe. Funny thing.....I never saw that office when in that strip mall......(use to live in Boulder) :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Wow!

That's the lightest titanium mountain frame I've ever heard of by more than half a pound - and easily matches the lightest ti _road_ frames I've ever seen. Hell, that's on the light side for an *aluminum* road frame, let alone a medium/large ti 29er! Even the old Litespeed Tellicos that were butted 6/4 and tended to have important parts come off unexpectedly were 3.4 lbs or so.

Amazing - Dean should be dominating the market with a product like that!

Of course, you'll have to throw it on the scale and verify when you get it. As well as post some pictures!

-Walt

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walt said:
That's the lightest titanium mountain frame I've ever heard of by more than half a pound - and easily matches the lightest ti _road_ frames I've ever seen. Hell, that's on the light side for an *aluminum* road frame, let alone a medium/large ti 29er! Even the old Litespeed Tellicos that were butted 6/4 and tended to have important parts come off unexpectedly were 3.4 lbs or so.

Amazing - Dean should be dominating the market with a product like that!

Of course, you'll have to throw it on the scale and verify when you get it. As well as post some pictures!

-Walt
Yeah I need to find a scale of my own. I may try to pick one up on Ebay or something

That's one reason I decided not to nut up and go for the Ti frame. Maybe when I have another bike to ride while I'm waiting.....but not when it would be my only bike....

Did you happen to visit their shop? Their address is next to Boulder Ski Deals on Arapahoe. Funny thing.....I never saw that office when in that strip mall......(use to live in Boulder)
Nope never been to their shop. I was without a mountain bike for about a month and a half. I should have waited a bit longer I suppose to sell it.

With Dean, you only have to put a 100 bucks down to get them to start. So I am not sure why you would have to be with a bike for the whole time. I didn't pay for mine until just last week. You have the 3 months to ride whatever, and then sell it before the Dean is ready. I had plenty of warning before my bill came due.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
They're in Gunbarrel.

The Dean "factory" (shop is more accurate, they have maybe 1200 sq feet) is in Gunbarrel, just across the street from Safeway. The mailing address is a Mail Boxes Etc. that is right near Boulder ski deals. Never really understood that one, honestly - they can receive mail at the shop, so I don't know why you'd want to drive into Boulder to pick it up.

In any case, it's a cool place. I spent many a wasted hour there when I rode for Dean harassing them.

-Walt

Did you happen to visit their shop? Their address is next to Boulder Ski Deals on Arapahoe. Funny thing.....I never saw that office when in that strip mall......(use to live in Boulder)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Walt said:
The Dean "factory" (shop is more accurate, they have maybe 1200 sq feet) is in Gunbarrel, just across the street from Safeway. The mailing address is a Mail Boxes Etc. that is right near Boulder ski deals. Never really understood that one, honestly - they can receive mail at the shop, so I don't know why you'd want to drive into Boulder to pick it up.

-Walt
Maybe to avoid having "Gunbarrel" in their address.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Changda (CHna) have been prucing some hardl heavier XL 29" frames. I'm not sure it's all that hard to get it that light, just get it stiff and strong enough at that weight. "Everyone" can use silly thin tubes and weld them together, right? Maybe the Dean uses some smart tricks like on the Litespeed Ghisallo to bring weight down, such as butted BB shells and mini dropouts?

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Clox has a point, but still 2.81lbs (1270 grams) is crazy light!

My 20" XACD custom w/ regular horizontal d/os and v-bosses supposedly built for my 155lb self is 3.65lbs (1660 grams) w/o collar or bottle bolts. Now I have ridden the bag out of it for two years, but it is pretty flexy even for me and I have dinged the crap out of the DT w/ the Reba. Granted my frame is likely cheap, straight guage 3/2 ti, but still...

All this on what is considered a silly light frame and Dean is going almost 400 grams lighter (and doesn't that thing have those modular dropouts?).

I hope it rides really well, if so they are doing something REALLY COOL over there at Dean.

I am anxious to see this baby...

LP

·
Registered
85 Posts
Walt said:

In any case, it's a cool place. I spent many a wasted hour there when I rode for Dean harassing them.

-Walt
Good point.....forgot about Mail Boxes Etc being right there. Very odd they choose not to receive mail in Gunbarrel....but whatever.

Where is your shop Walt? I ride with a guy, Bob Durso, who picked up one of your bikes. Nice ride!! He loves it!

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
So OrBikbldr, did you end up going with the Dean ti. fork too? If so, or not, what helped you decide what to go with? I'm considering the same route: Dean frame with modular dropouts and ti. suspension corrected fork, looking forward to pictures of your setup.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
el-cid said:
So OrBikbldr, did you end up going with the Dean ti. fork too? If so, or not, what helped you decide what to go with? I'm considering the same route: Dean frame with modular dropouts and ti. suspension corrected fork, looking forward to pictures of your setup.
The ti Dean fork is ordered. It will be some time next year that I get it. Until then I will be running a Reba. The fork is supposed be the same length as the 100mm reba so I can just swap them back and forth without any geometry change. $370 for the dean ti fork. I also had them throw in two set of mod dropouts, the geared disc and the ss disc. I can't wait.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
el-cid said:
John emailed me with an approximate weigh on the fork. You don't even want to know what the fork is supposed to weigh...it is sick!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: 12/22/05

As of yesterday it still hadn't shipped yet. I am a bit depressed about it. I had hoped to have it sitting under the christmas tree all built up for me on christmas morning. I was going to be kind of silly and tell my boy that Santa left it for me, just like he left him toys, and Mom her new Ipod and golf clubs (my wife is an avid golfer and played on her college team, while I suck at it). Stupid I know, But he loves bikes and he knows that I love bikes too, and He would have been in awe of the power of Santa Claus. He has asked me what I was going to get from Santa. (Ryan, who is also my avatar is almost 3)

Plus I have been without a mountain bike for over 2 months now waiting for this stupid frame to get here.

For awhile I wasn't bitter, but I am getting there now. My cross bike kept me busy for awhile

It might ship today, or maybe it will ship next year or whenever it is ready. Dean has earned its reputation as a slow, inaccurate deliverer of goods. I wouldn't complain if they hadn't told me it was only two weeks away back in October. I sold the Niner relying on there representation of that.

So while I would order from them again, and hopefully the frame is all it is supposed to be, I am a bit down on the whole process with them. If they would have told me that it was going to be 3-4 months from the start there would have been no problems. Or even if they hadn't bubbled me back in October I would be happier.

The main reason why I would order from them again is the prices are pretty freaking good.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
As of yesterday it still hadn't shipped yet. I am a bit depressed about it. I had hoped to have it sitting under the christmas tree all built up for me on christmas morning. I was going to be kind of silly and tell my boy that Santa left it for me, just like he left him toys, and Mom her new Ipod and golf clubs (my wife is an avid golfer and played on her college team, while I suck at it). Stupid I know, But he loves bikes and he knows that I love bikes too, and He would have been in awe of the power of Santa Claus. He has asked me what I was going to get from Santa. (Ryan, who is also my avatar is almost 3)

Plus I have been without a mountain bike for over 2 months now waiting for this stupid frame to get here.

For awhile I wasn't bitter, but I am getting there now. My cross bike kept me busy for awhile

It might ship today, or maybe it will ship next year or whenever it is ready. Dean has earned its reputation as a slow, inaccurate deliverer of goods. I wouldn't complain if they hadn't told me it was only two weeks away back in October. I sold the Niner relying on there representation of that.

So while I would order from them again, and hopefully the frame is all it is supposed to be, I am a bit down on the whole process with them. If they would have told me that it was going to be 3-4 months from the start there would have been no problems. Or even if they hadn't bubbled me back in October I would be happier.

The main reason why I would order from them again is the prices are pretty freaking good.
Being lied to repeatedly is always worth a few hundred dollars saved in the ol' bank account.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I was ridiculously close to pulling the trigger on Colonel but got cold feet at the last minute after reading threads like this one to many times. After a few conversations with the guys at Dean I got cold feet because of the feeling that I would be getting my bike two months late and would miss my riding season. Nov-April is my "season"

Doug Curtiss got my $$ this month and I know my new ride will by February.

Post pics when your bike shows, and I will try not to be bummed I didn't go Ti.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bigdrunk said:
I was ridiculously close to pulling the trigger on Colonel but got cold feet at the last minute after reading threads like this one to many times. After a few conversations with the guys at Dean I got cold feet because of the feeling that I would be getting my bike two months late and would miss my riding season. Nov-April is my "season"

Doug Curtiss got my $$ this month and I know my new ride will by February.

Post pics when your bike shows, and I will try not to be bummed I didn't go Ti.
Yep Doug is a good man. He is fixing up a bike for me now as well. Normally I would have a back up bike, however, I spread myself too thin and tried to do too much at once. ANyway, Doug is making a 10 year old frame of his look brand new for me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My dean colonel 29er just came 2 days ago after waiting for 12 weeks. It was a long wait, but i have no complaints, because the frame looks great and the fork, headset and dean seatpost(best seatpost i've ever seen) came at a great price as did the frame. Now all i have to do is buy the rest of the bike. My recommendation to people would be to buy dean and keep another beater bike to ride until it arrives. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a Duke 29er that is 5 weeks late already and easily another 2 or 3 more due to the holidays...but they have been good to me since this is my 4th frame from them. Thank goodness I bought a KM before I placed the order.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.