Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Destroyer of Worlds
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of sections partway down Heart of Darkness at Whistler that are washboards, way beyond braking bump level. Not surprising since so many trails empty into HoD. The other day I found riding over one of them actually painful. I have a DH bike, so fork travel is not an issue. The bike's just been serviced, and I've followed the tuning instructions on the website to the T.

So what strategies make a situation like this less painful and let's face it, less dangerous? Thicker gloves? Thicker bar handles? Go slower? Faster? Or just suck it up?

·
jcd's best friend
3,648 Posts
Get off the saddle and don't stiffen up. Just let the bike do the work. Slow down a bit if needed. I used to hit washboard sections on a gravel bike. Believe me, it was way harder on my body than on a mountain bike! All I did was keep my speed in check when descending on it.

·
Ride what you like!
1,187 Posts
Get out of the saddle, light feet, allow the bike to buck underneath you. Don't fight it, float above it

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Like response3 mentioned, check sag. If I expect washboards, I keep it between 20 and 25%. Otherwise I'm at 25-30%. Of course, your numbers may vary. Also play with rebound (speed). I've found washboards to be more harsh when rebound is too fast. My perception is that with slower rebound, it feels like I tend to float over washboards rather than hammering them.

You mentioned "I've followed the tuning instructions on the website to the T.". Good place to start, but there is always room for tweaking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.