Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to renew my USAC License for the first time. I got a license last year to race La Ruta and it went well.

I ended up finishing 44th in the men's open category, around 80th overall I think. It was my first ever competitive event, where I caught the bug and will be doing some Marathon, 12, and 24 hour races this season.

My license was "beginner," and I did the auto upgrade to Sport. I don't want to be accused of sandbagging (not that I expect to be uber-fast), as one of the guys I rode with for a few hours at La Ruta who races in the Pro division made a comment that I could just "stamp expert on that license."

I enjoy being challenged and prefer to be a little over my head, so my question would be should I apply for expert or will I be too small of a fish in too big of a pond and piss off the guys around me?

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I don't think it matters. I became an "expert" when I did the 24 hour Worlds in 2000. They basically said you had to hold an expert license to race at the Solo Worlds level. I paid my money and away I went.
I have not always kept my license current. To be honest, I can barely finish better than mid-pack in the expert class in an XC race. I could do well in a sport class, but why bother. Just smells like sandbagging if I keep snagging sport podiums.
I don't think you have to apply for an upgrade unless you're going after semi-pro status.

·
bicycleonthebrain
211 Posts
I upgraded to semi-pro because they let me with the year i had two years ago.i don't think i'll make it to the pro class but in alot of the endurance and marathon events i'm up against the top dogs.Sometimes i think i should have stayed expert being that i'm 35 now and i work 40-50 hours a week on a graveyard shift but i'm haven fun and thats all that matters:thumbsup: If you did la ruta and made all the cut off times you should at least be expert.if you podium at least five times in your sport class give the others a chance to experience the feeling and move up.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Doesn't matter. I don't know of a single endurance event that uses the beg/sport/ex classifications, they are age grouped or open, generally speaking. Now if we're talking XC racing, that's a different story - and different forum :)

As for old guys in the semi-pro ranks, there are a few of us out there in our 40's. Dunno about upgrading, but we generally hold our own ok. Don't let age bug ya!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was only *worried* about category as I thought I remembered reading on some 24hr registrations that only expert and above would be allowed for Solo; couldn't remember which ones but figured if I do some XC type races for interval training, it would be nice to be pushed to my limits to keep up.

G

·
This is interesting. Lostdog, your last post is similar to a recent situation I encountered.

I've been racing endurance events for the last four years. I usually try to find larger events. One of the draws being more , and stiffer competition. I enjoy being able to test myself in those races. I have actually noticed a few races, primarily 12hr and 100mi, being sanctioned by USA cycling and requiring licenses. I haven't had an annual license since 1993, maybe (and a road license in Canada at that). Usually I'm able to get a one-day license, and since the field is generally open, I'm good to go.

One 12hr race I was considering this year is being run with categories being 'enforced' - ie to race in the pro solo - you need a pro license. Since I don't have any intent of buying a year round license, and then attempting to upgrade (which I probably am not capable of in traditional XC events), or racing in a 'sport' endurance category, I'll leave this event off the schedule.

I'm rambling here, but it brings me to a somewhat relevant question. Is, or should there be a separate path for endurance racers to move through different racing categories? Or should the traditional categories even be applicable in events such as 12hr, 24hr, etc.? Racers typically compete in less of these events annually, and someone who podiums in a 24hr, may not be likely to do the same - even in a 'marathon'. If the underground racing events keep taking off like they seem to be, I guess it won't really matter!

FW

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
frejwilk said:
I'm rambling here, but it brings me to a somewhat relevant question. Is, or should there be a separate path for endurance racers to move through different racing categories? Or should the traditional categories even be applicable in events such as 12hr, 24hr, etc.? Racers typically compete in less of these events annually, and someone who podiums in a 24hr, may not be likely to do the same - even in a 'marathon'. If the underground racing events keep taking off like they seem to be, I guess it won't really matter!

FW
This is a great point. It's been my observation that certain expert level riders are cabable of winning 24s amongst star studded fields. A lot of NORBA pros tend to kill themselves in the first 12 hours, probably because they can ;) But certainly, the upgrade path (or classification in general) should be different for enduro stuff. I actually think the way NORBA handled it with the marathons was quite good. Age group brackets and open and the rider chooses their poison. But those events have gone the way of the dodo already.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Who need USA Cycling?

I have put on many events without NORBA they run great. We use the same Insurance companys as they do .I coached two Jr Mt .bike teams in the early 90's. I coached and sent most of the racers with money I rasied or out of my pocket to the top National NORBA events in the country so they would have a great chance making to the worlds . Two racers the 1st year make to the Jr team to go over and race. At the time I think it was Eric Moore was the events director. He tells me that he made one call and the racer Donny ( I will keep his last name out of this) is not there and it was just the answer machine" but leaves not name or phone number . He tells us that a week after Jason here's Dons name at the world champonships . Jason knows he made it by beating Jess at Mammoth Mt,But Donnys not sure becasue of points or wins
Jason Tells me that he here's Donny name called at the starting line at the world championship. What the hell? They call him 1 time and thats that.
I stopped coaching and never ever will help NORBA again.
Donny went on to school ,great job but will never forget the one chance he had because NORBA didn't care about the future of Mt Biking. So I put on fundrasing events and give money to the trail systems in Northern Calif
Just my outlook. Good luck with NORBA:nono:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.