Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to renew my USAC License for the first time. I got a license last year to race La Ruta and it went well.

I ended up finishing 44th in the men's open category, around 80th overall I think. It was my first ever competitive event, where I caught the bug and will be doing some Marathon, 12, and 24 hour races this season.

My license was "beginner," and I did the auto upgrade to Sport. I don't want to be accused of sandbagging (not that I expect to be uber-fast), as one of the guys I rode with for a few hours at La Ruta who races in the Pro division made a comment that I could just "stamp expert on that license."

I enjoy being challenged and prefer to be a little over my head, so my question would be should I apply for expert or will I be too small of a fish in too big of a pond and piss off the guys around me?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Bashing Bandwagon

So, let see...you've never done a race in the US and you're already enough of a critic to call USA Cycling a charged term like the "Gestapo?!?!? I'll be the first to agree that the organization is not perfect, but before you start slinging mud please get a clue as to what you are talking about.

As for moving up, frankly, who really cares. The sandbagging argument is so old and overdone its beyond funny. This is not life or death here, and last I checked, prizes in the Sport or Beginner class were not putting food on someone's table. If you need to race Expert as some sort of validation, then by all means, ask for the upgrade. If you're more concerned with actually racing and giving it your all, then don't sweat the small stuff, line up with the Sport class and it will soon be apparent whether you should move up or not.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
There is qualifying criteria for moving to expert, you can't simply enter as expert. The criteria is something like five top-5 finishes in Sport. I obviously have no idea about your racing pedigree, but if you've done one race in a beginner class, you will be "a little over your head" during at least your first few Sport class races.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.