Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode my Rush (2006 Rush 3000) and encountered lots of mud. The mud was sticky, and ended up in the top of the rear triangle and staying there, rubbing against my tire and really slowing me down until I stopped to clean it thoroughly. My buddy was riding his Santa Cruz blur, and he didn't have nearly as much of a problem, even though we were riding through the same stuff. His frame seemed more open and thus didn't accumulate the mud as much.

Any suggestions for dealing with the mud effectively? I was thinking of bringing along some sort of bottle brush or something to just cleat it out with, since sticks on the side of the trail didn't work all that great.
Also got lots of mud in the front derailleur area, which was tough to remove.
Suggestions (other than staying out of the mud)?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Sounds like the trail is in bad shape, probably shouldn't be riding it if its that muddy.
OP stated 'other than staying out of the mud'
to OP--ok are you running a big tire in the back? or are the tread designs different between you and your buddies? you may want to go with a narrower tire for extra clearance or find a tread that sheds mud easier. You could also try spraying some silicone or pam in the problem areas on your triangle before your ride...it might help to prevent mud from sticking. You could carry a bottle brush - maybe use an elastic band of some sort to attach it to your seatpost for quick access

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Yes I caught that...still it needed to be said. :nono:
There's nothing wrong with riding in mud. He never said he was riding on maintained trails or anything. Shoot, for all we know he could've been riding on his own private land, an OHV area, or just a muddy road intended for much bigger vehicles -

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
highdelll said:
There's nothing wrong with riding in mud. He never said he was riding on maintained trails or anything. Shoot, for all we know he could've been riding on his own private land, an OHV area, or just a muddy road intended for much bigger vehicles -
Assuming the OP was riding on private land or an OHV area, your absolutely correct, nothing inherently wrong with riding in sticky thick mud other than the issues associated with the extra wear on the bike/drivetrain.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
highdelll said:
OP stated 'other than staying out of the mud'
to OP--ok are you running a big tire in the back? or are the tread designs different between you and your buddies? you may want to go with a narrower tire for extra clearance or find a tread that sheds mud easier. You could also try spraying some silicone or pam in the problem areas on your triangle before your ride...it might help to prevent mud from sticking. You could carry a bottle brush - maybe use an elastic band of some sort to attach it to your seatpost for quick access
It's a Nobby Nic 2.25. Probably where the problem started. I didn't know the trail was going to be that muddy. If I did I wouldn't have ridden it. Mud didn't appear until I was well into it.
I'll pick up a bottle brush. The Pam idea sounds interesting also. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.