Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all handle the inevitable negative comments that come from the community? I’m an active maintainer for a local park and while the vast majority of the feedback we get is positive, there is always the occasional guy on social media complaining that we are « ruining » or « dumbing down » the trails. Just today in fact, I was on my way into the woods, loaded with gear, and a guy passed by riding, he asked quickly if I was doing work.

Hey man, you doing work?
Yeah, we’re volunteers, today just working on an eroded corner.
Cool but stop ruining the trail!
Hey, were dealing with erosion and making it better.
No, your making it worse and it’s too easy now, you’re ****ing ruining it.
That a dickish comment.
Well your still ruining it!
I built the trail asshole!
Well your ruining it!!!

All of this while the guy is riding off into the distance. He didn’t even stop to talk or explain himself. Here I am loaded with gear. And he just blows by like that.

I was mad so I called him an asshole. Probably out of line of me...

So how do you deal with this? The work we do is sanctioned and approved. We are fixing eroded areas, widening, mud holes, and generally improving a trail that was made official. The land manager wants it to be an intermediate trail. So we work with that in mind.

Anyway - there seems to be 5% of the riding population that will complain vocally about everything...

This tool ruined my day.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Been in the non-profit volunteering gig at all levels for 20 years. The jerks are always present. They never go away. I'm always amazed how cruel they are sometimes to volunteers. They are mean to people using their free time to help trails. It truly is mind blowing. I've been doing it so long I just tune it out. Like you said, the vast majority are really happy with what we do. Sorry you dealt with that! Really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,772 Posts
The short answer is you'll never make everyone happy... in the sense that there's too many personalities, riding styles, skill levels, etc. Everyone wants something different, it's impossible to please everyone.

A-holes will be A-holes regardless.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been building and maintaining for decades and I tune everyone out - good or bad - as others said, you can't make everyone happy and don't even try. asshats will always be asshats. The very few times I've gotten pissed at someone, all I say is 'come to the next trail day and show me what you got' - always works.

I've also found that the asshats have never gotten dirt under their fingernails from trail work.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
The very few times I've gotten pissed at someone, all I say is 'come to the next trail day and show me what you got' - always works.
There really is nothing to top this. Tell him to get involved or STFU.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,199 Posts
Have you considered a handgun?
I know you're trying to be funny and you usually are. This ain't one of those times.

OP, just keep doing what you have been. I agree with the folks who said to invite the d-bag to a trail day. Usually shuts them right up.

·
Thicc Member
1,379 Posts
You ran into a dude who is concerned about the trail being not challenging enough. Those are the good guys, even if he was abrasive. The real shitbirds are the ones who carry a saw and shovel and remove obstacles to make the trail lamer.

So how do you deal with this? The work we do is sanctioned and approved. We are fixing eroded areas, widening, mud holes, and generally improving a trail that was made official. The land manager wants it to be an intermediate trail. So we work with that in mind.
Grow a pair, maybe? Count your blessings?

·
Registered
716 Posts
You ran into a dude who is concerned about the trail being not challenging enough. Those are the good guys, even if he was abrasive. The real shitbirds are the ones who carry a saw and shovel and remove obstacles to make the trail lamer.

Grow a pair, maybe? Count your blessings?
Good guys? Seriously? Grow a pair? WTF?

I think we just heard the shitbird crow.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Guy was a dick, for sure. However, there may be some legitimate feedback underneath the dick'ish comment. Perhaps you should take the feedback to the LM and explain that while you are maintaining the intermediate trails as intermediate, you recently have received feedback that some users would also like to see some harder / more difficult trails. Could be a win / win where you use the dick to actually get the go ahead for a new harder trail build!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,681 Posts
ha I wuz riding the chunk and ran into two dudes building out more trail features and I said "oh boy this is awesome" while blasting thru

next day same crew just 1000 yards deeper, and I stopped and said "Hey you guys rock here is 40 bucks beer money for later today thanks for building this"

they did not take my money, saying "oh no need to do that..."

those big jerks

1 - 20 of 60 Posts