Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently ride a popular trail in my hometown that spans 80 miles and goes right through several towns and neighborhoods. As it happens, I often find loose dogs wandering the same trail or, more annoyingly, "guarding" their front yard. One neighborhood in particular has had a pack of 3 loose dogs that look pretty mangy and malnourished, and the most aggressive one seems to be some sort of pit bull mix. Each time I've gone by, I get off my bike, let them charge up to me and then let them sniff me and whatever. The pit will let me go for a little while, then if I dare to take 2 steps he'll start growling and barking up to me all over again. I usually have to walk at a crawling pace until I'm about 100m away from them to feel safe to get back on my bike and ride away. Other people on the trail say "Oh, those dogs won't bite" but I reeeally don't like the way the pit looks at me. Small dogs also like to interrogate me and one bit my pants the other day.

To the point, I wanted to ask how you guys deal with dogs on your rides? Have you ever had any bad encounters? Is it best to try to speed away from medium to large sized dogs or stop the bike and let them investigate? I'm really quite sick of dealing with them at this point so I'm thinking I'll just try to outrun them in the future.

· Registered
772 Posts
There's nothing worse than seeing an empty leash in someone's hand out in the middle of nowhere. I've always had dogs, feel I understand them pretty well. But I get so freaking frustrated by people who keep them off leash in communal areas. If you're not near their home or something they're protecting, chances are you're not going to get bit. If a golden retriever comes up to me tail wagging just excited for life, I stop and let the owner grab it. If I feel threatened or the dog is showing aggression, my thought is to get away from what it's protecting, whether it's the human or the house if I'm riding by. They struggle to get near your legs if they're moving, so there's been some that go on a ride. I feel frustrated for the dog that the owner unhooks them knowing dang well it's going to chase something if it comes along. I assume the dogs back track once they've realized they're not near the owner again.

· Registered
6,932 Posts
I'm in Utah. There are lots of dogs on trails where they're allowed. I haven't had problems with them.
I wouldn't ride in an area where there are vicious dogs around and I'd report them. If that doesn't work, I'd avoid the area.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Utah. There are lots of dogs on trails where they're allowed. I haven't had problems with them.
I wouldn't ride in an area where there are vicious dogs around and I'd report them. If that doesn't work, I'd avoid the area.
Yeah I think you're right. If I see those 3 again I'm just gonna call animal control. I love that trail so much that avoiding it isn't an option to me lol

There's nothing worse than seeing an empty leash in someone's hand out in the middle of nowhere. I've always had dogs, feel I understand them pretty well. But I get so freaking frustrated by people who keep them off leash in communal areas. If you're not near their home or something they're protecting, chances are you're not going to get bit. If a golden retriever comes up to me tail wagging just excited for life, I stop and let the owner grab it. If I feel threatened or the dog is showing aggression, my thought is to get away from what it's protecting, whether it's the human or the house if I'm riding by. They struggle to get near your legs if they're moving, so there's been some that go on a ride. I feel frustrated for the dog that the owner unhooks them knowing dang well it's going to chase something if it comes along. I assume the dogs back track once they've realized they're not near the owner again.
I know. What's more annoying is when they're right next to their dog and don't bother trying to leash it or control it. I like your advice about getting away from what they're protecting. Only thing is there's not that many by ways in some of these areas and the one place with the 3 dogs is a small cluster of houses they seem to go all around, not just one place, and if they see me they come running.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,087 Posts
Bear spray. Haven't had to spray one yet, but I have had to get it out while the owner was fighting for control over their dog. I've been bit a couple times (in AZ), but since I now live in AK I have bear-spray on every ride. This is effective.

Just two weeks ago I was hiking on a wide ski trail with hiking poles due to my damaged ankle (for support) and someone's dog came at me. Of course it's the "he's never done that before" every time. I had to use my poles as weapons to poke the dog to keep it off me until the owner could get it under control. If I had bear spray, I would have used it.

· Registered
2,867 Posts
I don't really care about loose dogs. Poor interactions hardly ever happen to me. I've only ever had one truly aggressive dog come at me, and I stopped, put the bike between us, and chunked a few rocks until it split. If a game of chase gets too close, I'll squirt it with my water bottle. That works 99% of the time.

If it really became a problem, bear spray, and/or maybe a call to animal control.

· Registered
441 Posts
I call animal control every single time a loose dog is out.
And carry bear spray or regular pepper spray, aim for the eyes when they get close.
If the owner doesn't care about them, why should I have an ounce of care for the mutts?

5,889 Posts
Riding gravel in Kansas, I had many dog encounters. Folks in the country don't keep their dogs fenced or tied up, ever. Unfortunately spray or something similar would have never worked because they usually come out of nowhere and I would have never got to it in time. I've kicked a few in the snout to stop them from biting my legs.

· Cycologist
16,937 Posts
I've never had a problem mountain biking but I've encountered a good number of dogs while road biking out in the country. I can usually kick it in and leave them behind, though I did that once only to then slow down and find one was still with me; had to kick it back up for awhile longer.

Another time a couple were giving chase and I realized I was approaching a traincrossing, with a train crossing at that time. One was a junk yard mutt type dog and the other a Great Dane, who I realized had more of a dopey "how ya doin'?" attitude than a vicious one. They'd pretty much lost interest in me by the time I'd gotten to the train.

But the worst case I wrote about in the dog thread but f you don't want to follow that (below), German Shepard gave chase, going up hill and it would run in front of me, turning back and forth but where I would literally hit it with my front tire, then it started biting my hand while it was on the hood, though not hard enough to break the skin. Squirted with water bottle and she backed off briefly. Hit top of hill and decided to sprint away only to drop chain. Decided best course of action was to make friends and it worked. More to the story if you want to read it:

· Registered
587 Posts
I am a dog person and like to think i am responsible. I have been bit several times. the last one was on a leash that was expandable and the owner did not have it locked. The collie type charged and got my hand fairly good.
When on the road I carry a water bottle, On the trail stop and deal with it. If I lived where there were a lot of interaction I would also carry pepper spray. You can get a purse size one like the ladies carry but make sure to leave enough for the owner, nowadays people don't take responsibility.

· since 4/10/2009
37,138 Posts
I've had less trouble with dogs being aggressive than I have with dogs just being dumb and getting in front of the bike, and owners not caring. I would like to trip every owner I see with their dog on a flexi leash that's extended all the way across the trail like a trip line. They NEVER reel the dog in.

I've always had dogs and I like to let mine have some off-leash time when the trails are quiet. There's usually still someone that comes by, so I work hard to have enough verbal control that my dog will come to me instead of running to whichever person just came around the corner. I also only do this where it's permitted. Usually even if it's permitted, I won't let my dog off leash when the area is busy because all of my dogs have tended towards the overly-friendly side and approach with mucho gusto. I know that folks uncomfortable around dogs might not be able to tell the difference, but it's really hard to teach your dog to leave other people alone when it's been a goal of yours to teach your dog to actually like people.

The times I've had actual trouble with dogs have not been on mtb trails, or even greenways. It's been unconfined dogs in people's yards while I've been on the road. Air horns are pretty handy for this, in addition to pepper spray. I usually ride with bear spray nowadays. Lots of black bears in my area. Usually they're no big deal, but in the springtime they're often pretty grumpy because they're skinny and hungry, and the mamas have babies. This year was a bad year for grumpy bears because their usual food supplies were either late, or had bad years. So quite a few folks were getting harassed by bears that were habituated enough to know that ppl often have food. Some folks were getting followed by bears when they walked their dogs in the neighborhood. Bear spray is handy because it's useful for aggressive dogs, too.

· Registered
6,126 Posts
I frequently ride a popular trail in my hometown that spans 80 miles and goes right through several towns and neighborhoods. As it happens, I often find loose dogs wandering the same trail or, more annoyingly, "guarding" their front yard. One neighborhood in particular has had a pack of 3 loose dogs that look pretty mangy and malnourished, and the most aggressive one seems to be some sort of pit bull mix. Each time I've gone by, I get off my bike, let them charge up to me and then let them sniff me and whatever. The pit will let me go for a little while, then if I dare to take 2 steps he'll start growling and barking up to me all over again. I usually have to walk at a crawling pace until I'm about 100m away from them to feel safe to get back on my bike and ride away. Other people on the trail say "Oh, those dogs won't bite" but I reeeally don't like the way the pit looks at me. Small dogs also like to interrogate me and one bit my pants the other day.

To the point, I wanted to ask how you guys deal with dogs on your rides? Have you ever had any bad encounters? Is it best to try to speed away from medium to large sized dogs or stop the bike and let them investigate? I'm really quite sick of dealing with them at this point so I'm thinking I'll just try to outrun them in the future.
Dogs hate the sound of a taser...

Get yourself a small palm sized unit...

When they roll up all aggro, depress the button and watch them tuck tale and run.

Also useful on perps who'd wanna steal your whip.

Fine for contact stuns on self entitled walkers also.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.