Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I was reading Driftwood's ride log the other day and he mentioned a ton of deadfall from the snow and subsequent rain/windstorm. Please, if you've have been able to get out (me not included) give a report of the trails you've been on (in the Pisgah district) and the downed trees/big messes that should be watched out for out there.

(this is so I can help the P36 racers be more informed and so the USFS will know where to send volunteer groups to start cleanup in the Spring)

THANKS!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Clawhammer is now rideable to Buckhorn, plenty of deadfall on Black toward Club Gap and Buckwheat, still snow/ice spots in that direction on Black
Buckhorn is in good shape from the trailhead to the intersection @ Clawhammer, just some snow/ice spots
Avery below Buckhorn intersection has lots of nagging small deadfall
Daniel Ridge is really clean for the whole loop, but there are a few small sections of ice
Cove Creek is fine from top to bottom, some very small deadfall (I forgot my saw!) and snow/ice in the dark corners to keep you awake
Turkey Pen parking lot is a skating rink, the road down to S Mills bridge is hit/miss with ice, the trail down is a bobsled run.
S. Mills to Mullinax was decent to Mullinax intersection, looked OK past there.
Mullinax was in good shape to Squirrel, just a few snow/ice spots but no deadfall, more snow cover at the top right before Squirrel.

Roads:
477 has some deadly slick spots in the corners where the sun doesn't shine, I'm hoping to get up to Bennett this week and check it out.
475 is not bad until you reach the top (parking for Looking Glass view) and then it gets real sketchy to the intersection of 225
225 is very sketchy/slick until you get past the old Caney Bottom trailhead. This it's fine to the top of Cove Creek.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Tsali is in killer shape now. Aprox 100+ trees total down 2 weeks ago. Saw 3 today on Right loop only. And a couple on Thompson, but clear otherwise.

All the mud holes are frozen..
From today

·
Registered
59 Posts
Black Mtn. Trail from the top is in terrible shape and deffinatly needs some work. we are talking trees down every 10 feet or so! need some chainsaw lovin and a defrost!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Please report the concerns regrading Black Mountain trail to the ranger station.
This trail is the "responsiblity" of a hiking club and they are supposed to clear it (eventually).
That said, if a few mtber's wanted to volunteer to clear it (with a certified sawyer) there is a process we can go through to make this happen.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Black is going to have to thaw before it can be cleared. The branches broke and landed on the snow. Then the snow softened and the branches settled down into it. Then it froze again and now the branches are frozen into place. Once the snow is gone it will only be a matter of dragging the downed limbs off the trail. I didn't see anything over 8" in diameter and most of it broke from the top of the canopy and is no longer connected to the trees. It looks really bad but a couple of guys with small folding saws could clear it in a couple of hours once the snow is gone. Until then it is futile to try. I'd be happy to ride Black with someone and drag the branches off as we go.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Federal disaster area!

driftwood said:
Black is going to have to thaw before it can be cleared. The branches broke and landed on the snow. Then the snow softened and the branches settled down into it. Then it froze again and now the branches are frozen into place. Once the snow is gone it will only be a matter of dragging the downed limbs off the trail. I didn't see anything over 8" in diameter and most of it broke from the top of the canopy and is no longer connected to the trees. It looks really bad but a couple of guys with small folding saws could clear it in a couple of hours once the snow is gone. Until then it is futile to try. I'd be happy to ride Black with someone and drag the branches off as we go.
I rode Blk Mtn yesterday from Club gap to Buckhorn and its a disaster zone - correction I only rode about 10 feet of it the rest was barely passable pushing a bike. It will be a while before it thaws. Club gap is frozen solid but Buckhorn is rideable - if you like riding on a layer of frozen snow.1206 is about half frozen and the other half a spongy suck you down gravel mud mixture.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
driftwood said:
Great info, driftwood- thanks. The rain this weekend should finally free things up, albeit making a giant mess of things.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone want to get a trail day in at Kitzuma?

Kitzuma is in very bad shape. Lots of trees down and about a 4ft wide hole where a tree fell ripped out of the trail. If anyone is interested in doing some clearing on the trail on a Sunday afternoon give me a shout. A chain saw is definately needed. Where the tree ripped the hole will actually make a killer drop with about 30min of shovel time.

This is one of the closest true single track trails we have to Asheville. I need someone to help me that can run a chainsaw on forest service land. Park one car at top the other at bottom then walk the entire trail clearing as we go.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bennett

Bennett is all clear except for a few larger deadfalls after you split off Coontree.
Pink Beds is very slow going with a combination of mush, ice, and mud. Lots of walking...
Clawhammer is a sucking muck, not exactly muddy but very soft
Buckhorn is very slushy downhill from the gap.
S Mills is slushy as well with some very slick spots hidden under the snow.

18 miles was a 5 hour slog.... it didn't help things to run out of light on Bennett. :nono: AshevilleYeti was good company though!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Note to self: if you ride 5000 up to Trace Ridge when it's 55 degrees on Friday afternoon, and get gritty, soupy, wet red clay over every square inch of your bike, leave it out on the car overnight to freeze, and then ride it the next morning when it's 27 degrees...your bike will sound like a machine shop your entire ride. I think I need a new drive train.

BTW, one smallish tree down on Trace about half way up, right before you go around a bend. Might make for interesting braking if you were going really fast on the way down.

·
Third Degree Hater-Fu
563 Posts
brokeONE said:
Most of the damage starts about half way mark through the trail. By the way this was probably the hardest ride I've ever done. Kitzuma + snow is a bad idea.
hey Isaiah, if you want clearance from F.S. on that section, the best person to go through is Todd Branham. He does trail work out in that "sector" alot. I want to say his email is [email protected] . Someone on here can give you his number, since I think he only checks his email infrequently.

·
When did you get here?!?!
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was on Squirrel yesterday, out-and-back to/from Cantrell, and it's clear except for one new tree down just before the gap. I did have to clear about 100 derailleur killers along the way though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.