Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have to say that I am a little dissappointed right now. Looks like I will not be getting a new front triangle. The frame has been deemed "fixable" and a new front triangle is not negotiable. I will still have to pay to have it re-welded, heat treated, and painted. The gigantic dent will not be addressed as it is purely cosmetic.

Would you pay to have all of this work done when you know the end results would leave you with a huge cosmetic cover up?

I offered to pay for a crash replacement front triange and received nothing more than a band-aid as a solution.

Am I a loyal Turner rider who has done nothing but praise the bikes and the customer service?
Yes!

Do I feel like I have been taken care of?
No...

What would you do?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't know until Friday.

I would assume several hundred dollars plus shipping both ways. I know a new paint job runs about $250 to $300. Shipping will cost me $40 out and $40 back. Not sure on the welding, heat treating, etc... but I know it can't be cheap...

That is already pushing $400 and the frame will still have a huge dent in the downtube...

Kinda pricey when BRAND NEW Sultans are being given away for $1300...

Take away $300 for the RP23 and now you are looking at $1000 for a Sultan frame.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
edit.
Turner tends to "let their actions speak" where warranty and crash replacement stuff is concerned, so I wouldn't assume you won't be taken are of until you hear the details and see the "repaired" frame.

My guess is that you will be happy with the outcome. Perhaps going with a "raw" finish could save you and Turner both some $$.

Look on the bright side, when your bike is back together, your friends will accuse you of being a "homer" when you tell them about the excellent customer service! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's a dent. not a crack/failure just something that happens when mountain biking. it sucks but I wouldn't expect Turner to give ya a crash replacement when the dent isn't going to make the frame fall apart.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
You could always sawzall the focker in half, then get the crash replacement.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

I have been riding mountain bikes for over 10 solid years. I ride on the mountain 2 to 3 times a week. I also ride on the road every day I am not on the mountain. I have been racing mountain bikes and road bikes for a couple of years. I am not a newbie when it comes to biking.

I know the risk of riding on the trail. I also know of the potential risk of frame dents,dings,and failure.

My job and only way of making a living requires me to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight and use my hands 100% of the time. I cannot afford to ride a bike that is questionable. A bad weld or a large dent that causes frame failure puts me out of a job and out of a house if I get injured.

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I imagine that once the welds are repaired, it'll be structurally sound again. Cosmetically - a body shop ought to be able to fill the void and a local powder coater can put a killer coating on there. I had a bike frame done in Kansas, media blast (no sand blasting on aluminum) and PC was $120.

It'll be a bit more legwork on your end but is a viable option I suppose.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Its a bit hard to tell from picc's but the weld sorta looks ok with the paint removed not as bad as previous picc so maybe not so hard to fix, the stress of the dent looks worse to me though, but maybe not something to worry about re a failure though, I'd trust DT on that though anything is possible, being a niner its not probably going to be subjected to the same stresses as a Highline or DHR I would have added RFX but most are used for XC nowadays :p !

I think you'll be fine OMHO though!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I'd trust DT's judgement and do the fix. The dent is nothing to worry about. FWIW....A complete Powder coat is only $200 at the most.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Looks familiar! Same color and everything. I am kinda on your side, if you want the crash replacement...so be it they should give it to you.

I can tell you that this frame has seen more gnar than yours ever will. Be confident if all you get is the repair the frame will be sound.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I understand that you fear for your livelihood in the event of a catastrophic injury, but that ding hardly looks like anything I'd lose much sleep over. Riding offroad period is dangerous. I don't see how a dent adds to that significantly. I've had dents in my 5-Spot since 2003 and I just thoroughly wailed on it at Downieville. :)

·
Time flies...
2,206 Posts
Like Cheese said, any kind of biking is risky...period. Sounds like you're already gambling just by riding so much.

It's a mountain bike. Save your money, rub some JB Weld into the area, let it set, then cover it with rubber grip tape or foam, then ride it like a dirty dog...

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Something Clever... said:
I won't know until Friday.

I would assume several hundred dollars plus shipping both ways. I know a new paint job runs about $250 to $300. Shipping will cost me $40 out and $40 back. Not sure on the welding, heat treating, etc... but I know it can't be cheap...

That is already pushing $400 and the frame will still have a huge dent in the downtube...

Kinda pricey when BRAND NEW Sultans are being given away for $1300...

Take away $300 for the RP23 and now you are looking at $1000 for a Sultan frame.
By your own math you could have a brand new Sultan for only $100 more! Say you do the trade-in for $500 credit then buy the closeout for $1300 minus the cost of the shock (-)300 = 1000(-)$500 cr = $500 for a new frame (+) shipping.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Something Clever... said:
My job and only way of making a living requires me to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight and use my hands 100% of the time. I cannot afford to ride a bike that is questionable. A bad weld or a large dent that causes frame failure puts me out of a job and out of a house if I get injured.
Just curious. You trust Turner to design, weld and assemble your bike but you *don't* trust his assessment of the repair? I guess you answered your own question.

If the bike is questionable in your eyes and Turner won't offer a front T replacement, then you *must* buy a new front T or frame. I mean the overall expense of a new frame seems like a small investment in your situation i.e. no work from exploding bike and you are homeless.

Seriously, if your livelihood depends 100% on your health you either need to stop riding mountain bikes or at least get some insurance to cover the unexpected. I mean it doesn't have to be a catastrophic failure of a MTB frame to keep you from working!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
id take the fix. personally, i dont see a need to replace it. it couldnt have happened in a stonger place of the frame or a less visible area. if ya really want a new frame, youll have to do more damage next time. i also think yer costs will be much less than ya figured. shippin a ft tri isnt much to begin with.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This seems like one of those occasions when shock, fear, anger, and, or frustration take over and you convince yourself the outcome is bad before the process even begins. That Sultan is your baby, it's natural to be concerned.
I'm certain that if you spring the 40 bones to ship the frame to Turner they're not going to fix it, and tell you it's fixed if there's a greater than usual risk of failure. I'm also guessing it may not cost as much as you've estimated. I'd take a deep breathe, send it in, and have them look it over and let you know your options. Then when you have all the facts you can decide what to do.
I've ridden more than a couple dented frames from other manufacturers and never had one fail.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts