Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i have a question. This is becoming more and more frustrating. It seems that every training I go on for the past month, my legs are getting weaker and weaker. My times on certain trails that I train on are plumpting. I backed off for about a week and still nothing. It id gettign really emabarasing to get passed by some of the people that I am not getting passed by on the trails.

Things that have changed in my life in the past month...

1. My mom just got diagnosed with cancer and I have been a bit stressed about that.
2. Started a new contract(job).
3. Stopped drinking Diet Soda.
4. Wife broke her leg mountain biking so now I am taking care of her.

Any ideas? Can stress make you have dead legs?

·
Occasional treat
197 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mum & wife. Sounds like you got a lot of heavy stuff going on there. I'm not at all surprised your training is suffering; emotional stress can have just as big a toll on the body as physical stress. If I was in your situation, I'd lay off & just ride occasionally for pure fun and stress relief. Make sure your diet & sleep doesn't suffer & you'll be back in the game in no time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My heart goes out to you....
Don't sweat it right now - your legs are the only thing you can choose not to worry about right now. Cortisol is the "stress hormone" and can have a great effect on the body. I agree with hollisimo.....

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Dead legs

Stress is huge. If I am very stressed my legs and joints will actually ache. I just went through a real rough patch with work and had dead legs for the past week. I seem to lose huge amounts of fitness, strength, and motivation. When times are tough like that, I just have to forget about training and go out and ride for fun....remember why I ride in the first place...for an outlet.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news Jeff.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Stress does play a huge roll, but here are some other things for you to consider...
Typically, you should be doing 3 weeks of training followed by 1 week of rest. However, there are times when you need more rest. This could be a week fully off the bike followed by a week of easy riding, or whatever. The point is, give yourself more rest than usual.

The other thing is your diet. Are you getting enough carbs? I noticed that you said that you had stopped drinking diet soda; is this coupled with other dietary changes?

And going along with the stress thing, if you aren't getting at least 8 hours of solid rest every night, then you can't be expected to train with intensity successfully. If your life stress is keeping you up at night, then yeah, it is going to affect your training.

Just remember, like Used2Bhard said, riding is an outlet. It shouldn't be something that is adding stress to your life.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My mom just got diagnosed with cancer and I have been a bit stressed about that.
August 30 will be a year since I lost my mom after a courages 5 year fight. It is easily the hardest thing I ever went through, my heart goes out to you.

One of the best things for stress is exercise. You should keep mountain biking, the only thing that should change is the priority.

Go hug your mom.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
hollisimo said:
Sorry to hear about your mum & wife. Sounds like you got a lot of heavy stuff going on there. I'm not at all surprised your training is suffering; emotional stress can have just as big a toll on the body as physical stress. If I was in your situation, I'd lay off & just ride occasionally for pure fun and stress relief. Make sure your diet & sleep doesn't suffer & you'll be back in the game in no time.
I agree hear. Take care of your family. Get out on some fun rides that are still a good work out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. All of this is very helpful.

As far as giving mom a hug, I am flying into Atlanta Thurday to do just that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hang in there, these experiences are tough on many dimensions, sa its hard to get your sleep and diet and all the things we take for granted.

When you train, perhaps shift up a cog and spin a little more, sometimes that helps bring your legs around a bit. I'd drop volume and intensity a bit so you don't get sick.

·
Registered
624 Posts
prayers out to you and your mom.

Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. I agree on the advice to just ride for fun. Stay active, be positive, and help your mom and wife as you can.

·
Registered
188 Posts
CANCER SUCKS!!!
My wife went thru Breast Cancer Surgery and Chemo in 05...
I took a fall a month into her treatment and broke my right shoulder... NOT GOOD!!!

Yeah, your bike time, energy and commitment need to get re-prioritized...
Ride to have fun, to release stress, and to take your mind off of the higher demands.
Your form, strength, speed and cardio may suffer a bit, but your mom and wife won't...
and the family should be the priority.

laughter is medicine...trust me...
trust yourself, trust that you and the family are strong enough to overcome ANYTHING!!!!
When you return to your sport after all is done, you'll be stronger in spirit, and focus and that will relate to gaining your form, strength, and speed back even faster.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
McDowell_Matt said:
CANCER SUCKS!!!
My wife went thru Breast Cancer Surgery and Chemo in 05...
I took a fall a month into her treatment and broke my right shoulder... NOT GOOD!!!

Yeah, your bike time, energy and commitment need to get re-prioritized...
Ride to have fun, to release stress, and to take your mind off of the higher demands.
Your form, strength, speed and cardio may suffer a bit, but your mom and wife won't...
and the family should be the priority.

laughter is medicine...trust me...
trust yourself, trust that you and the family are strong enough to overcome ANYTHING!!!!
When you return to your sport after all is done, you'll be stronger in spirit, and focus and that will relate to gaining your form, strength, and speed back even faster.

Well Said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts