Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of my now dead 575. I purchased my 575 in June of 2005 and ride it ~2 times a week at South Mtn. The other day I was cleaning my bike (it was too cold for me to go riding) and ther it was, a crack where the rear shock attached to the frame.

I contacted Yeti and they said they had never seen a crack on that machined piece. They said send the front triangle back and they would send me a new one.

Customer service was quick and Yeti was great to work with.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wow! That is unusual. Second unusual Yeti frame issue I read about today.

Good to hear that Yeti is going to take care of you. But then again, I wouldn't expect anything less of them based on their superb reputation.

I hope you're back in business shortly. Good luck.

JP

·
Registered
754 Posts
Can you post a picture farther out? Hard to tell exactly where on the frame/linkage that crack is. Regardless, that is the first i've seen; glad to hear that Yeti is taking care of you.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mtnbiketodd said:
Here are a couple of pictures of my now dead 575. I purchased my 575 in June of 2005 and ride it ~2 times a week at South Mtn. The other day I was cleaning my bike (it was too cold for me to go riding) and ther it was, a crack where the rear shock attached to the frame.

I contacted Yeti and they said they had never seen a crack on that machined piece. They said send the front triangle back and they would send me a new one.

Customer service was quick and Yeti was great to work with.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
Sorry to hear and see the crack. Hope you'll be back on the trail soon.
GB

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. No matter what anyone says, all builders have frames that fail, they are mountain bikes not jewelry. But as you say it's how a builder handles a problem that is important. I've been impressed with everything I've heard and seen so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ermmmmm mine cracked there too, last summer. Am in the UK, close to the importers, and they swapped a new frame over for me FOC in about 3 days, so back-up was excellent. They thought it may have been caused by the 5th Element shock having a floating top bush, which may have put sideways load into that area. But looking at the pic's, your frame looks newer, so you probably had a Fox shock?

I'd have thought Yeti would have known about mine cracking, so maybe not strictly true that yours was the first they knew of?

fwiw - I'm 215 / 220 lbs, fairly aggressive XC type, but generally stay attached to the ground (although I noticed the crack after accidentally breaking that rule..................)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Charliemort,

Interesting, maybe it was just the person I was talking to about the crack. I do not believe they would lie to me about the cracking. Yes, my frame did have the RP3 on it and I'm ~190lbs with all my riding gear. My wheels too stay mostly on the ground but I ride the National trail at Phoenix South Mtn Park.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rover Nick,

Yes, I did talk to a person test riding the 303 about the crack in my 575.

I received the new frame and built it up last Thursday night and headed to Moab for the Yeti Thaw 07 weekend. Good fun was had by all up there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.