Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah it's old but I still ride it.
95 F700 won't lock out anymore. The knob just spins round and round. Otherwise it works.
Should I worry about. I like the lockout sometimes but not super necessary.

Any ideas on what is wrong with it and what it would take to fix it?

Thanks

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
njsanna said:
Yeah it's old but I still ride it.
95 F700 won't lock out anymore. The knob just spins round and round. Otherwise it works.
Should I worry about. I like the lockout sometimes but not super necessary.

Any ideas on what is wrong with it and what it would take to fix it?

Thanks
Sounds like either the plastic knob is stripped out, or the nut it sits on has come free of the shaft its press fit onto.

Knob is easy. Press fit would best be done during a standard service, as the cartridge would be apart, and you could make sure everything was aligned before you re-pressed it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it is neither of these.

The knob does not spin independently nor does the nut spin on the shaft. Nut and shaft spin together. I wish it was that easy...
I would to have it serviced, but curious to know if it's fixable before I even attempt it.
Thanks-

·
16,486 Posts
njsanna said:
Nope, it is neither of these.
Absolutely is a tough thing via the internet;)

If you have definitive stop points to the knob, it's fine. At that point, there are several primary causes for lack of lock. Oil gone (cartridge leak), seals shot, cracked lockout shim. All these are impossible to discover without getting into it, during a service.

My Magic 8 Ball says "service fork soon for clearer answer" :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
Absolutely is a tough thing via the internet;)

My Magic 8 Ball says "service fork soon for clearer answer" :D
Ha, indeed, indeed.

Have to hope for the best!
But yeah, it just spins round and round. I guess I'll be looking for a service after the holiday settles down. Thanks for your input, be talking soon.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Those also have an internal stop pin that possibly could fall out or get snapped off if someone tried to remove the cartridge from the fork without unclamping the stem pinch bolts.

Mendon, do you have these cartridges and spares? If not, any interest in obtaining some for a fair trade? Just need to see what I have left.

PK

·
16,486 Posts
PMK said:
Those also have an internal stop pin that possibly could fall out or get snapped off if someone tried to remove the cartridge from the fork without unclamping the stem pinch bolts.

Mendon, do you have these cartridges and spares? If not, any interest in obtaining some for a fair trade? Just need to see what I have left.

PK
Very true.

I have a bone pile, but it's getting thin and picked through. If you're in a mood to unload, perhaps do some bartering etc, drop me a PM:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.