Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how large an audience I'll be reaching here, but I figured the more the better.

The DC area mountain bike trails are taking a beating this winter due to both the weather and the increase in new mountain bikers. It is great to see so many folks getting out there, but it is also important to treat the trails correctly. Because of the largely clay-type soil in the area, if trails are ridden when wet or muddy, those ruts become semi-permanent. This type of soil hardens like concrete and the current freeze-thaw cycle makes it worse. It takes a lot of effort to smooth over these spots. If it's cold enough and you can get out early, I recommend riding before the trails thaw. Volunteer groups in the area do a lot to maintain the trails, so please do not ride wet or muddy trails.

Along those lines, if you do ride or want to ride in the area, I would recommend taking a look at MORE's page at Mid Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts - MORE and consider joining. They do trail work days and organized rides. Also, membership dues go to help maintain local trails. If nothing else, the list of trails and resources they have on their site is worth a look.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts