Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a Felt Decree with a 150mm Pile on the front and a 200x57 Monarch RT3 Debonaire on the back of it and am really wanting to upgrade the rear shock. I ride mostly Bent Creek and DuPont and I think my bike would feel a lot better on the long downhills with a better shock. Of the three listed in the title what do you think the best bang for my buck is? I was strongly considering the Cane Creek just because they are local

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
Not too impressed with the mcleod, did a nice long 50 mile trail ride today with the correct (tight) hardware. It's far from horrible, but I have a tuned DPS and that has a significant edge over the mcleod. The non-indexed rebound adjuster is idiotic. You also have to buy the manitou hardware for the mcleod, which is kind of a PITA. Fox hardware seems like it would work, but it ends up too loose. Distribution is sketchy for the hardware. I bought it to have a second shock dedicated for a remote (the manitou remote is also poor, clamping area is too thin so it won't stay put without crazy torque that you don't want to be using on a handlebar). It does this remote function for me, but too many of the usual manitou oversights to make it a viable product at this time IMO.

Best bang for your buck would be to get the monarch tuned, like by Avalanche.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not too impressed with the mcleod, did a nice long 50 mile trail ride today with the correct (tight) hardware. It's far from horrible, but I have a tuned DPS and that has a significant edge over the mcleod. The non-indexed rebound adjuster is idiotic. You also have to buy the manitou hardware for the mcleod, which is kind of a PITA. Fox hardware seems like it would work, but it ends up too loose. Distribution is sketchy for the hardware. I bought it to have a second shock dedicated for a remote (the manitou remote is also poor, clamping area is too thin so it won't stay put without crazy torque that you don't want to be using on a handlebar). It does this remote function for me, but too many of the usual manitou oversights to make it a viable product at this time IMO.

Best bang for your buck would be to get the monarch tuned, like by Avalanche.
different experience here. mcleod on a vpp was miles better than CTD.
installed with rwc needle bearing / fox 5 piece hw just ok.

agree that custom tune is a great option.
Oren

·
Registered
838 Posts

Oren
This year I replaced both the Push tuned RP23 on my Turner Sultan and the Avalanche SSD/HSB modified DPS on my Pivot 429 Trail with Mcleods. IME, for traditional XC riding, I have found the Mclead to be a noticeable upgrade on both bikes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
McLeod all day! I also have a vastly different view than Jayem. It was by far the best air shock I had ridden. I did mess with the shim stack though, but that was largely due to the fact that I was near 300 pounds when I had that shock. So needed more rebound due to the psi I was running in the can. I also messed around trying to get a bike with not so great small bump to have acceptable and was able to do it with the McLeod. Only reason I got rid of it was to go coil.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If you live that close to CC, I would get the IL. Honestly, support your local guy first and if you have any issues, sell it and buy a Mcleod.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I had a great experience with my DBAir IL, as well. You end up with a lot of external adjustments to get the shock feeling the way you want. I also found the air spring, with no spacers, to be very linear, so you have plenty of room to play with it there, also. The main downside is that you can't service it yourself, but I really like the way mine felt.

I've had a DPX2, also, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to buy one aftermarket. I don't hate it like some do, I think it feels great, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an aftermarket shock.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

Oren
Yeah, I replaced the PUSHED shock on my Turner with a Mcleod and found it to be superior. Very surprised.

The rebound thing is just what it is. Don't get the issue. Never really even thought about it. Just set the rebound where I like and that was that. Occasionally speed it up a little or slow it down a little but don't think much about it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I just put a DBAir IL on my HD3 replacing an X2 I could never get dialed as I liked it and the bike is like a new bike. I love it. Other than blowing through the travel (but not harshly) the shock is awesome. Really glad to be back on the DB.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
Also, changing wheels last night on my bike for a race, noticed that one of the mcleod DU bushings has worn out in that one 50 mile ride yesterday, maybe just a fluke, but there's play again on the rear of the bike, play that is not present with the Fox shock.

Fox has had some pretty terrible stuff over the years, no question. Some of the CTD stuff and Evo stuff was just terrible (no HS rebound circuit), but this tuned DPS is pretty sweet AND any tuned shock is head and shoulders above OEM. People always get convinced to go buy a new shock when having a reputable tuner tune the shock would usually be far better for performance. Unfortunately there aren't that many these days, but the good ones are well worth it.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Overwhelmingly, people prefer the run of the mill, off the shelf mcleod to anything fox thats been push tuned. Very often people prefer the off the shelf mcleod to custom avalanche tuned inlines.

"Custom tuned" is a lot less custom than people think. Often it works so much better because these companies are replacing junk dampers with a damper that actually does something. Its not so much the tuning than it is simply having something decent in there. The mcleod damper is fundamentally better than the old PUSH damper, regardless of tune, so it works better. Avy is very good, but the mcleod is on par for most.

You can "custom tune" xfusion RL2 dampers by removing some preload and they're better for everyone, no matter how you're riding. Same with monarchs. Theres very little custom about filling out an online form and getting a base tune. It does work fantastic, but I think its fair not to inflate what it really is.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I'm still not clear on what part of the McLeod's function you hate, Jayem.

I put one on my 100mm beater bike and I can't find much to fault it with except for the remote issues, which I agree with you on. I'm going to adapt my front shifter to work in that regard.

I also need to rent a Shockwiz for some objective analysis. It's user customizable in that regard.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
I'm still not clear on what part of the McLeod's function you hate, Jayem.

I put one on my 100mm beater bike and I can't find much to fault it with except for the remote issues, which I agree with you on. I'm going to adapt my front shifter to work in that regard.

I also need to rent a Shockwiz for some objective analysis. It's user customizable in that regard.
I was wrong about the wrench flats, they appear to be level. The use of the manitou-specific tool in the video and knurled edges made me think it was tapered to only use that tool.

It's hard to judge it's capability when the hardware is too loose and constantly knocks. Even manitou's own hardware. So the action is pretty terrible and yes, I hate it. Ran ok for half the ride yesterday when new bushings were installed. See my post in the mcleod thread for more data.

There are some other issues, but I'm not going to go into detail just yet and I'm still going to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they can do the right thing and make this shock and hardware work. As of right now, I can not recommend this product. Manitou appears to be trying to make it right.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I didn't have any issue with bushings, rebound withouth clicks is not a problem i mean, who cares? The Milo remote sucks in many ways.
I have 2 mcleod and unthreaded both cans with minimal effort using a tyre tube.

I had the DB Air IL on my process 111 for 1 year and the mcleod on the other bike.
While the cane creek is good, the mcleod is better at least for me, better support, better grip, i miss the awesome climb switch on the DB Air.

I bought a second mcleod for my process and sold the cane creek, and the mcleod is staying there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I never owned dpx2, but i had two inlines, and now running three mcleods on my bikes.
Inlines were really good, while they are in working order. Unfortunately in a year time they been sent for repair 4 times each. After last service I sold them and want to forget them as a nightmare.
Now I'm running 3 mcleods,-190x50 on phantom, 200x56 king can and 200x50 on a prime. Never had any issues with loose bushings, cans removal, or anything else. Using adjustable spanner with rubber glued on the jaws to remove/torque the can.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The can tool is a pretty odd complaint. I don't know of anyone who doesn't use a strap wrench on air cans since they work with every manufactures cans. I'm not actually sure why they make a can tool.

The no click rebound adjuster bothered me for about 2 days when I got my first McLeod. Then I realized it's a blessing since the adjuster is so sensitive. Every other inline shock I have used, I find myself in between rebound clicks, always flipping back and forth. Never an issue on the McLeod. Makes me annoyed that the Mara has clicks.

As for bushing fitment, if you can't find hardware that fits, contact [email protected]. There is a pretty good chance you are chasing your tail as most shock that come back are found the have a small knock from a miss adjusted IPA shim stack from the factory (you can tell this by checking if the knock goes away in IPA 2-3) or in extremely rare cases, a miss fitting damper piston glide ring. Hardware is rarely the issue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.