Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a “modern” geometry HT for under $1500 and the DB Sync’r seems hard to beat. It’s also coming in well under $1,500.

The DB seems to offer everything the Salsa Timberjack SLX , roscoe 8 and others offer except it doesn’t come with a dropper.

What 27.5+ HT does everyone recommend for under $1,500? If I’m spending the full $1,500 it needs to have a dropper.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think its a good value. I was recently in the market for a new bike to upgrade from my Specialized Pitch Expert and I looked at the DB's Sync'r. I actually missed out on getting one local for $850 off craiglist that only had a few hours on it. I ended up looking at the Timberjacks and the Kona Honzo since I could find a local DB dealer. I ended up purchasing the Kona Honzo for under the $1500 mark and it does come with a dropper but it is a 29'r. I test rode the Salsa TJ in both the 29 and the 27.5+ to decide on what I liked better. The Kona just felt better and lighter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Trek Stache 5 2019 should be right at $1500 with the 2020 models now coming out. It’s a 29+ which is better :) and has a dropper with decent specs. Probably is the most nimble of those listed with shortest chainstay.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The 27.5+ hardtail I'd recommend is one with 29" wheels.

I drank the 27.5+ koolaid. It's not bad. I rode my Norco Torrent last year and the beginning of this year. Fantastic bike. I built mine though...not a stock setup.

I converted my DiamondBack Release into 27.5+ with a new fork. Running 2.8f and 2.6r. It's a fun bike. No doubt about it.

But my single speed is 29er. I pretty much neglected it and didn't ride it at all last year since I had my new shiny Torrent and then with the converted Release I did still didn't dust off the Kona until a couple months into the season this year. But when I did...I was quickly reminded why 29" wheels are king of the mountain. I reaffirmed this at Dirt Fest this year when I demoed a 29'er full suspension bike. Now I'm ruined again and want to get rid of my Release and go 29'er FS and then try the Torrent as a 29'er hardtail.

Now of course YMMV. This has just been my experience. I don't really find that 27.5+ has offered me any benefits over 29er other than maybe a little nicer ride due to a bit lower tire pressures than I'd normally have in my 29" tires.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I test rode a Stache 7 and a Roscoe 8 today, one after the other. I really don’t like the way the Stache felt, even with a better group set it didnt feel good to me. I was considering the Stache 5 that’s on sale but good god the Stache feels like a bulldozer.

I was riding a M 17.5 Stache and a m/l roscoe and the Stache felt HUGE. Not in terms of reach but the overall feel of the bike wasn’t good. It just felt too big and tall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.