Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm driving out to Dayton, OH for the first three weeks in April for some training at WPAFB and bringing my Tallboy with me. It looks like I have decent trail options within an hour and a half from the base. Where should I go? Any regular weeknight rides nearby? XC races?

Also, what should the weather be like then?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Temp

Average High Temperature 62°
Record High Temperature 89°

Average Low Temperature 41°
Record Low Temperature 18°

Average Number of Freezing Days 6

Lots of decent trails within driving distance, but depending on how muddy things are, you may be limited on some of the choices.

Caesar's Creek will probably be the closest choice. Check HERE for local conditions and contacts.

I'd also make the trip to Brown Co/Versailles/O'Bannon at some point. HMBA for info.

Should have some options, but riding gets more predictable as the season plods along.

JmZ

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the closest trail to Wright Patterson would be MoMBA. Then Jonn Bryan. They are part of Miami Valley Mountain Bike Association. Here is a link to the schedule as far as get togethers and races scheduled for this coming year.

http://joinomba.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17606

I rode John Bryan several times. Pretty flat. So stays wet for a bit after rain. It has tight spots. And open and fast in others. I would say beginner type trail. I rode all 3 fast laps races last year. Rain stayed away.

I haven't rode MoMBA yet so don't have any info there for you.

Here is another Ohio Trail guide link....
http://joinomba.org/trails/index.php/Main_Page

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Yeah, MoMBA is right off of Area A (? Might be Area B). It's definitely going to give you more technical stuff than John Bryan and some more significant climbing and downhill, but John Bryan is pretty kickass in it own way, IMHO. Lots of tight twisties, the ability to carry tons of speed (albeit pedal generated rather than gravity fed), an opportunity for a good steady cadence work out, and a number of pretty nice ramps.

Weather in April will most likely be anywhere from the low 60s/high 50s to 80 for highs and pretty unpredictable as far as precipitation goes.

MoMBA will probably have better trail conditions in general and has the advantage of a daily recorded phone message letting you know if the trails are open or closed.

John Bryan definitely seems to stay wetter, longer. I've never seen the gate to the trails at John Bryan closed even when it should be.

MoMBA is probably going to be a 10-15 minute drive from you, John Bryan more like 30-35 minutes.

Caesar's Creek is probably more like an hour or so. I haven't been there since beginning of last fall, but large parts of it were an eroded mess. There were some cool tight spots and switchback descents punctuated by massively rutted, straight downs/ups.

Harbin Park is another one you might want to check out closer to Cincinnati, sort of in the same vein as Caesars, assuming you get some dry weather and you don't mind an hour to 1:15 drive.

Mitchell and England Idlewild are really nice as well, but not nearly as much trail as either of your close options

+1 on making the trip to Versailles State Park in IN. Along w/ MoMBA it's probably my favorite spot for sheer variety and all around awesomeness within an hour or so of the Cincinnati area. It definitely seems to drain well and is really well kept. If I had to guess I'd say it would probably be a ~2 hour drive from WPAFB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
click on the site below to find all the Cinci region trails and details. With most of the trails around here, you can pretty much judge trail condition by the weather for the previous 3-4 days. This time of year if its been dry and sunny for a few days, you can likely get a decent ride in without running into too many patches of mud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.