Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Custom User Title
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what you think, and I'll see what I can do. :)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- If Congress passes an energy bill, Americans may see more daylight-saving time.

Lawmakers crafting energy legislation approved an amendment Wednesday to extend daylight-saving time by two months, having it start on the first Sunday in March and end on the last Sunday in November.

"Extending daylight-saving time makes sense, especially with skyrocketing energy costs," said Rep. Fred Upton, R-Michigan, who along with Rep. Ed Markey, D-Massachusetts, co-sponsored the measure.

The amendment was approved by the House Energy and Commerce Committee that is putting together major parts of energy legislation likely to come up for a vote in the full House in the coming weeks.

"The more daylight we have, the less electricity we use," said Markey, who cited Transportation Department estimates that showed the two-month extension would save the equivalent of 10,000 barrels of oil a day.

The country uses about 20 million barrels of oil a day.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I suppose it's cheaper and easier than trying to persuade or require people to consider efficiency when making purchases of automobiles and household appliances and less contentious than requiring auto makers to provide only vehicles that make sense from this same perspective.

I'm all for extending daylight savings time just so it's light out when I leave work, although the darker morning hours make it harder to get out of bed and will keep my wife from running in the mornings before work. Other than the positive psychological impact, it won't effect me after work at all. It will still be cold and the trails will still be snowed over so I'll still go to the gym for an hour or 2 (and use their energy, lights, etc) before going home. I'll use the same amount of electricity because I'll still be home during dark hours for the same amount of time (I'll need light in the morning instead of at night, whoopee), the refridgerator and water heater still run for the same amount of time. Most shopping centers and grocery stores (especially the 24 hr ones) won't use any less electricity either - how often have you been in a store that turns its inside lights off during the daytime? Plus, many parking lot lights in my area are on all night long even if the store is closed.

I think it will save some energy (but not MY energy for the reasons mentioned above) but it's really a lame attempt. I think it's only being considered because there won't be much opposition to it compared to more substantive measures.

I can hear W now. "Well dang, look how environmentally sound my policies are...Because of me ya'll can keep driving the H2 to the corner store to get your newspaper when you want to read about why the rest of the world hates us".

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
I love this idea! But why not (and please forgive my putting forth such a radical concept ...) just adopt daylight saving time the whole freaking year?! Who would object? It's the switching back and forth that is maddening.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
I think it is a good idea. I hate it getting dark before my evening ride! Of course it would sort of negate the investment I made in my HID light!

I agree with the above poster in a way. Why don't we just agree to, from this day forward, do everything an hour earlier. We'd show up to work an hour earlier, go to bed an hour earlier, stores would open an hour earlier, TV schedules would shift back an hour, etc. Is it really that necesary to fool ourselves into doing things an hour earlier by resetting the clock? We might as well use real standard time, but with a daylight saving schedule, permenantly.

Extending dayling saving time would be the next best thing though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TVC15 said:
I love this idea! But why not (and please forgive my putting forth such a radical concept ...) just adopt daylight saving time the whole freaking year?! Who would object? It's the switching back and forth that is maddening.
yeah, that's a great idea. i can't wait for december, when the sun would rise at 8:30 in the morning for the northern half of the country. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
They tried that in the 70s during the oil embargo...

I hated going to school in the dark, and several kids at our school got hit by cars.

They also changed the speed limit to 55 mph.

·
it's hot inside
36 Posts
Split the difference

Changing clocks (mechanical and internal) twice a year is foolish. Trying to pick +/- 1 hour to optimize light levels year round in all parts of the country is impossible. The only solution is to move the clocks half an hour (in between DST and standard time) and leave them there. Vote for "HALFTIME"!

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
Iktome said:
yeah, that's a great idea. i can't wait for december, when the sun would rise at 8:30 in the morning for the northern half of the country. :rolleyes:
Hey, any northerner who a) had a job, and b) rode a bike, wouldn't complain. Yeah buddy, I'm talking to you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TVC15 said:
Hey, any northerner who a) had a job, and b) rode a bike, wouldn't complain. Yeah buddy, I'm talking to you.
I'm not too smart, so could you please explain this to me, "buddy"? What does having a job or riding a bike have to do with the sun rising at 8:30 in the morning? Please educate me.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Why wait for it to be official?

I've been on Daylight Savings Time for years. It's only six months out of the year that it's not like everyone else. I love it. Just have to pay attention to things like appointments. It helps to not have a life. }:Þ

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Zignzag said:
I hated going to school in the dark, and several kids at our school got hit by cars.

They also changed the speed limit to 55 mph.
i was wondering about the speed limit thing myself the other day....some state ignore DST, or always have DST, whatever...arizona and hawaii don't change...for us parents it really just messes up the sleep schedule and however they do it i would prefer for it to be the same year round....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Iktome said:
I'm not too smart, so could you please explain this to me, "buddy"? What does having a job or riding a bike have to do with the sun rising at 8:30 in the morning? Please educate me.
Yeah, I don't get it either and I'm a northerner, have a job, and I ride. We're on DST now and I still can't ride after work on most of the nearby trails because of snow.

I guess none of the time changing stuff matters to me because of 1) my response above, and 2) I can arrive at and leave work whenever I want to as long as I put in my 80 hrs every 2 weeks :confused:

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Yep, just pick a time and stick with it

TVC15 said:
like Arizona.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gregg K said:
I've been on Daylight Savings Time for years. It's only six months out of the year that it's not like everyone else. I love it... }:Þ
Same here. The whole thing's a great big pain in the ass. The rest of this state does it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to. Haven't changed a clock in years. Half the year I get to go to work at 9am instead of 8. Easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.