Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've not had much luck with decent internet connections on this holiday so I'm behind on posting pics

Heres some pics we took when we rode the Lake Minnewanka trail

It was raining when we started the ride, but luckily for us it stopped raining as we started riding up the first hill

The trail was great nice rolling singletrack with just one big hill near the start

Map at start of trail

Pictures taken as we rode out along the trail, there was one large hill at the start of the ride, and then a fun downhill down the trail alongside a scree slope

There was only 1 bridge to cross - you could also ride through the stream

This was the sign at the Alymer Pass trail head - so far we had seen some bear poo but no bears ...

The trail alternated between riding through trees and lush meadows

At a wash we headed down to the lake and eat some food - as we good see all around us, up till now we had not wanted to stop as there was so much vegetation around us with bears lurking in it

As we were riding through a part of the trail in dense wood with lots of blid switch backs I came round a corner and about 30 feet away I saw 2 Grizzley Bears :eekster:
Unfortunately we were too busy trying to look big and making lots of sound to take good pictures, the bears did head off into the trees eventaully but did keep on stopping and looking back at us, Clare wanted to go back at this point but I persuaded her to carry on as the trail was so good...

We got to the wardens station without any other bear encounters, at this point Clare told me this was as far as she was prepared to go - so even though the singletarck carried on we turned back here

View from lake Shore

Pictures taken heading back along the trail

What the bears like to eat (Other than mountain bikers)

https://www.mtb-hol.com/Canada2008/Day3/Lake_Minnewanka_back_2.jpg

This Grizzley poo was not on the trail as we rode out....

The one big hill heading back on the trail

Heding down the last hill backtowards the trail head

We had a great ride today - although I my throat was quite hoarse after all the shouting at every corner to ward off the bears

Off to ride the trails around New Denver now - still got lots of pics from Golden & revelstoke to post..

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
924 Posts
It is great ride with spectacular scenery.
And you got an encounter with a local (bear) to boot.
Great pixs!

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
sweet pics again, glad you liked the trail. the best singlespeed trail around!

after the ranger cabin the trail gets much, much rougher probably for the best you turned back...

have fun on the rest of the ride!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
zinger-uk said:
At a wash we headed down to the lake and eat some food - as we good see all around us, up till now we had not wanted to stop as there was so much vegetation around us with bears lurking in it
BTW, bears have a sense of smell 100x better than a dog, so the only thing being out in the open while eating will get you is a better view of the bears trapping you against the water's edge. :yikes: ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.