Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So--I just took my new Nickel on the trail for its first ride. The build came in at 24 pounds on the head--much lighter than I anticipated. It is a large frame and the frame/shock/seatpost clamp came in at 7 pounds exactly.

The build is as follows:
Nickel frame (basically new--it was built up by the PO & never ridden)
2013 XT full build kit
Carbon Cycles 660mm Handlebar
Yeti grips
GT carbon/aluminum stem (about 110mm)
Cane Creek Headset
2012 Fox F32 120mm Shock (new take-off)
Q2 400mm Carbon seatpost
Old school Bontrager ti saddle
Stans Crest ZTR wheelset (also ridden once by the PO)
American Classic ti skewers
Kenda Lopes 2.3 tires with the Stickee compound
Corratec titanium pedals.

This is where I need advice--the front end was very loose on the climb. I had the front fork locked out--but it did not compress like the old Marz I had on my superlight. Any thoughts on getting the front end down? I am thinking of switching to a 130mm front shock at some point--but that would make things worse.

Any constructive input is appreciated.

SCNickel.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
have you tried climbing with the fork not locked out, sag alone will keep it down, I don't know about your height but looking at your seatpost and stem, the bike 'looks' small for you... try getting a stem with a more neutral rise... this might change your position when climbing to keep your weight more on the front to keep your bike climb better... just my 2 cents...

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Holy seat post and stem length. Dude, if that's your riding setup, that frame is too small.

As for your question, I don't understand what "loose" means. No traction? Or the front end is wandering and not tracking properly? Or literally loose like something's moving around?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loose as the front wheel is not sticking to the ground on the steep stuff up.

The stem is only 110mm. I know--longer than currently fashionable--but I am an old school kind of guy. I also don't believe in 29ers--but that is another post or two.

Yes, the bike is on the small side for me--but that is what I currently have to work with.

·
Golden Bears United
385 Posts
To start, you can lower the stem/bar by 2-3 inches. Before cutting, move the bottom spacers on steerer tube on top. That should put more weight on the front tire.

If that's not enough, a zero rise stem or flat bar to move the front down even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
So, from what you're writing, the front is either picking up on steeps or flopping, but I assume picking up.

Start with the above advice: remove the spacers from below the stem and stack them on top. From what I can see, that'll gain you more than an inch, which should help.

How tall are you?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Don't lock out the fork on techy climbs.

With your seat that high on a frame that small, unfortunately you are going to have a hard time keeping the front tire planted on the climbs. You are just getting way too much weight shifted towards the back end of the bike, causing the front end to get too light.

You would be so much better served by finding an XL frame......there really is no way around that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts