Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting an 04 Dawgmatic, but the thing weighs 34 pounds, not light by any means.

Does anybody else have one yet? Do you notice the weight?
 

·
[paste title here]
Joined
·
515 Posts
I have ridden the 04 Dawg Dee-lux (same frame but diff shock) and I did not notice the weight on the Bike. I got to demo it couple of weeks ago at my LBS and It is a very nice bike. It felt heavy when I lifted it up but climbing wise, it wasnt bad. The propedal does do away some of the bobbing. But I didnt really notice a big weight difference compared to my NRS 2. When I did some jumps with the Dawg, it didnt fell bad. It felt easy to lift up and land. Solid on the landings and it didnt fell like I wasnt going to break. Just my $.02 and good luck on you decision....

Here's the pic of the ride I had


-mtnbikerdude87
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Acme54321 said:
I'm thinking about getting an 04 Dawgmatic, but the thing weighs 34 pounds, not light by any means.

Does anybody else have one yet? Do you notice the weight?
I've been riding my Stinky as a 'trail bike'. It was very easy to get it under 30 lbs.
Fox Talas
Truvativ Stylo cranks
Rims of some sort
Avid Mechanical disc brakes
Thomson stem

I like the ride. The Talas gives it a 69 deg headtube angle. Climbs great. My Truth is for sale.

Monte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I have a 2003 Kina Dawg. It weighs in about 31 pounds. I'm not the first up the hill but I get up there. It's a trail bike so it's made a little beefier. It's a Kona so it's made even beefier. But you don't have to worry about this bike. It's great for agressive trail riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Acme54321 said:
I'm thinking about getting an 04 Dawgmatic, but the thing weighs 34 pounds, not light by any means.
The good thing is that the frame is the same as on the lighter DAWGs, so you can get the bike and slowly change the parts as they ware out. The DWAG Primo only weighs around 28 pounds...

Konameister - kona.dk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Not true my friend, the dawgmattic is a very different bike. It's got less travel and different aluminum, sort of like the kikapu and the kahuna, same breed but very different bike. You can say it's got similar geometry, and the intended use is also similar but it's focused for a newbee rider. Not a hard core trail all I can think of is my bike kind of rider.
I had a kahuna, and no matter how much I tried to bring it's weight down, I could never get close to the Kikapu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
pol said:
I had a kahuna, and no matter how much I tried to bring it's weight down, I could never get close to the Kikapu.
My 2005 Kikapu weighed like 34.5 lbs on my bathroom scale:rolleyes: so I think a low-30 pound Dawg is fine. When I weighed it, it was completely stock except for Stan's tubeless conversion front and rear. If I ever get it to 29 lbs I'll be thrilled. I'm 6'3", 210 lbs and ride a 20" frame. I just got a new wheelset and tires so I should probably weigh it again as I probably dropped a pound or so. It's hard for me to become too obsessed over my bike's weight when I can sweat off 4+ pounds in a couple hour ride even after consuming all contents of my 70oz Camelbak.
 

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pol said:
Not true my friend, the dawgmattic is a very different bike. It's got less travel and different aluminum, sort of like the kikapu and the kahuna, same breed but very different bike. You can say it's got similar geometry, and the intended use is also similar but it's focused for a newbee rider. Not a hard core trail all I can think of is my bike kind of rider.
I had a kahuna, and no matter how much I tried to bring it's weight down, I could never get close to the Kikapu.

This thread is super old. But the 04 Dawgmatic and Dawgs were the same frame. In 05 that changed.
 

·
Large wheels & one gear
Joined
·
720 Posts
My 04 Dawgmatic is great. Climbs well, descends well. Is just an overall good bike. I don't notice the weight to much. Kona frames are a little on the heavy side but strong. I don't ride mine much anymore (just collects dust. Probably gonna sell it) since getting into SSing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Dawgmatic thoughts

Hey... i had a 04 Dawg and looked at all the dawg models then. I would look at it like this..depends on the price of the bike. It is entry level for the dawg family in 04. It is 4" of travel where the new ones come with 5. The spec's are all entry level. If you are looking to really ride this bike aggressively you'll most likely be trading out parts pretty quickly. If the deal is "right!" then no problem. I went with the regular dawg because of the component package was better...and i got a good deal :O) Good luck with your choice. J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Nm this msg, sorry
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top