Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kona fans I am relativley new to the MTB scene. I have been researching bikes the last few months and have demo'd a few from the LBS's in the valley. I have decided that full suspension is where it's at for me and the type of riding I wish to get into.

My question is this. I understand the difference in the Dawg models as far as the better components and such but does a guy who is just getting into it really need the better components on the bike right off the bat? Would I benefit more from getting the Dawg or Dawg Deluxe as opposed to the Dawgma? If you guys remember back when you first started and where you are at now would you have gone for the better bike in the group?

Thanks for opinions, and such. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
blackheart3a said:
Hey Kona fans I am relativley new to the MTB scene. I have been researching bikes the last few months and have demo'd a few from the LBS's in the valley. I have decided that full suspension is where it's at for me and the type of riding I wish to get into.

My question is this. I understand the difference in the Dawg models as far as the better components and such but does a guy who is just getting into it really need the better components on the bike right off the bat? Would I benefit more from getting the Dawg or Dawg Deluxe as opposed to the Dawgma? If you guys remember back when you first started and where you are at now would you have gone for the better bike in the group?

Thanks for opinions, and such. :thumbsup:
Most all parts work well these days, or at least by the standards of somebody who has been working on bikes for 40 years. With suspension components you get a greater feature set and performance as you pay more. That feature set may or may not make much of a difference. An example would be I could care less if any fork of mine ever has a lock out because I don't race and want all the suspension I can get. That leaves weight. Lighter weight is nice but you really pay for it if you look at it on a per pound basis. Thus, it's really easy to see how fast you can get into the realm of diminishing returns.

My philosophy is that if you can afford it it's nice. If what you're buying is increasing debt or not allowing you to save money in the long run you need to call yourself a fool when looking in the mirror.

On the just getting into it part. Delaying what you spend or how much you spend can also be smart so you truly know what you'll like and how much you'll like it.

Have fun and welcome to the sport!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bitflogger said:
My philosophy is that if you can afford it it's nice. If what you're buying is increasing debt or not allowing you to save money in the long run you need to call yourself a fool when looking in the mirror.
That was some of the BEST advice I have ever gotten period. Thanks a bunch I really do appreciate it!!!! :cornut:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I bought an 06 Deluxe, because then there was a distinct difference in the component levels for the three models. I wanted components to last, but wasn't concerned with going for the minimum weight build offered by the top model. I'd look carefully at the components between the two lower level models, and even consider having the LBS swap some if there was something that looked compromised to me. One thing that may come to mind could be the fork.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The "Deluxe" models tend to have a really decent mix (LX and XT, Raceface caranks etc. FSA wheels) of parts. The "Supreme" have allot of really Gucci (XT-XTR components, Mavic wheels etc) but you'd better like the group that Kona chose. If you do, they can be a really good deal, but most people would rather upgrade wheels and stuff later if they are serious, and save a little coin now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not to jack the thread (although I guess I am), I just got a Dawg Deeluxe circa about 2005, frameset and fork. I am putting it together for my first full suspension. Anyone have any tips or tricks or opinions on the Dawg? I am so excited because the parts come today. Thanks for your help, and blackheart, enjoy the Dawg!

·
Registered
783 Posts
i have a kona dawg, i bought it with mainly stock components, ive upgrade the bars/stem/grips for a wider bigger feel, i dropped the big ring and put an e.13 drs, busted the stock xc wheelset and changed them to some azonic outlaws, and put a fox van rlc in the front.
its heavier then the original stock build, but its tough

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.