Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I bought a Kona Dawg (04) about a month ago and I absolutely love it! One thing I would like to change though is the fork. I ride quite agressive XC mostly singletrack with some small drops nothing really huge. I am struck between a Marzocchi Mx Pro ETA 120 and a Z1 Drop Off I ETA. I really like the Z1 Drop Off (the weight doesn´t bother me that much) but it is about 4cm higher than the stock fork while the MX pro only is about 2cm higher, will this 4cm difference in height affect the geometry dramatically? Does anyone here ride this setup?
Second question: does anybody know how much travel there is left with ETA activated.
Thanks for your advice.

Beria

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
beria said:
Hi there,

I bought a Kona Dawg (04) about a month ago and I absolutely love it! One thing I would like to change though is the fork. I ride quite agressive XC mostly singletrack with some small drops nothing really huge. I am struck between a Marzocchi Mx Pro ETA 120 and a Z1 Drop Off I ETA. I really like the Z1 Drop Off (the weight doesn´t bother me that much) but it is about 4cm higher than the stock fork while the MX pro only is about 2cm higher, will this 4cm difference in height affect the geometry dramatically? Does anyone here ride this setup?
Second question: does anybody know how much travel there is left with ETA activated.
Thanks for your advice.

Beria
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change the fork? I do the same kind of riding, mixed with light freeriding, and have found the fork surprisingly good for that kind fun, given its budget nature... Have you played with tuning the fork, first, before you drop the big $$$? I changed the oil weight and height, and the fork really came alive for me...

Or i could be brutally honest and say that i simply can't afford a 5" fork for my dawg :). (but i am genuinely happy with the performance of the stock fork)

-Damon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why?

Hi there,
Ok here is why I want to change the fork, the first reason is ETA, I live in Austria an here in the Alps we have quite gruelling ascents before we can enjoy some sweet singletrack down the hill. So ETA seems like a nice option for me. Second, the Support for FOX forks is fairly limited and the forks are very expensive. Plus I have heard a lot of nice things about the Z1 line of Marzocchis, first of all being very durable plus the price relatively low when compared to other Forks.
All I want to know now is if the height of the Z1 fork will affect the handling of my Dawg a great deal or not?
Beria

ps.: Oh and my girlfriend will get my old EXR pro when I get the new Fork

·
Registered
361 Posts
I upgraded by Dawg's fork to a Manitou Minute One, which is a 130mm travel fork. I found the position pretty comfortable but a little too upright for longer steeper climbs. But the Minute One has adjustable travel to 100mm, so that takes care of the problem.

I thought about getting a Z1 Drop-off too. It looks nice and beefy. I recall it's about 5lbs (2.3kg?) so it's on the heavy side. The Minute One is 4lbs and the 05 Fox Vanilla 130 is about the same. Then again, the Dawg isn't one of those anorexic XC racers anyway so who cares. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All .... well, despite some 'mixed' reviews, about 4 months ago I upgraded to a Rockshox Psylo SL fork, to be honest I didn't notice much difference regarding changes in geometry/ body position ... but the handling difference was amazing. I had always felt the stock EXR that came with the Dawg was letting its performance down, but with the Psylos the bike feels so much better balanced and more predicatable in its handling. Also I am surprised at how often I use the lock-out and U-turn features ... anyway, with Rockshox new lineup coming out in 2005, there does seem to be some bargains going ... could be worth a look ??

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Height

Hi,
Does anyone (lightly and aburman especially) know how tall those forks (Minute and Psylo) are in comparison to a Z1 which is at 518mm axle to crown.
beria

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.