Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I think that I've narrowed my search down to these two bikes. I'm about 5'10'' (29 in-seam so looking at medium/17) 215, riding a lot of singletrack XC with the expectation that one of these bikes will allow me to open up in to faster, all-mountain riding. I like to go up hills and go down. My current ride is old gary fisher without suspension, so I've been taking a beating but building up leg strength and endurance.

Anyhow, 09 Konas are on sale and I would be looking at the 2010 Heckler D AM Kit. Here are the specs on both bikes. Appreciate in advice or comparison between the two. Thanks.

Kona Dawg Deluxe:
Frame sizes 15", 17", 18", 19", 20", 22"
Frame tubing Kona Race Light Scandium Butted, 6" Travel
Rear Shock Fox Float RP2
Fork Fox 32 Float RL 140mm w/15mm Dropouts
Headset FSA Orbit DL
Crankarms Shimano SLX
Chainrings 44/32/22
B/B Shimano SLX
Pedals Shimano M520 Clipless
Chain Shimano Deore
Freewheel Shimano Deore(11-34, 9spd)
F/D Shimano SLX
R/D Shimano XT Shadow
Shifters Shimano SLX
Handlebar Kona XC/BC Deluxe Riser
Stem Kona XC/BC Deluxe
Grips Kona LOG
Brakes Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc
Brake Levers Shimano SLX Hydraulic
Front hub FSA XC-150 Wheelset (15mm
Rear hub FSA XC-150 Wheelset
Spokes FSA XC-150 Wheelset
Tires Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.35 Kevlar
Rims FSA XC-150 Wheelset
Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp Cromo
Seatpost Kona XC/BC Deluxe
Seat clamp Kona QR
Color Brown Metallic

2010 Heckler:
Fork: Recon 335 SA
Shock: Float R
REAR DER. Shimano M772 SGS (XT)
FRONT DER. Shimano M660 (SLX)
SHIFTERS Shimano M590 (Deore)
CRANKSET Shimano M590 22/32/44 (Deore)
BOTTOM BRACKET Included w/ crankset
CASSETTE Shimano HG 50, 11-34 (Deore)
CHAIN Shimano HG 53 (LX)
BRAKES Avid Juicy 3 w/185mm rotor front, 160 rear
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3
BARS Race Face Ride XC low riser 31.8mm
STEM Race Face Ride XC,31.8mm
GRIPS Lizard Skin Charger
HEADSET Cane Creek S1 1 1/8"
SEAT POST Race Face Ride XC
SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
WHEELS Mavic XM 321 rims laced to Shimano M525 rear hub and WTB 20mm Super Duty front hub or Shimano 15mm M758 front hub w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.35 wire
TUBES Kenda Freeride

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kona uses outdated susp design (dont wanna start flame wars , just what I heard about them)
Heckler is a single pivot, but a GOOD single pivot.

If I had to make that choice it would be Heckler all the way-Konas are nice but I think lower maintanance/less pivots to service down the line and lower weight will pay off in the long run.
so there> my 0.02

·
Registered
260 Posts
usernamehere said:
Kona uses outdated susp design (dont wanna start flame wars , just what I heard about them)
Heckler is a single pivot, but a GOOD single pivot.

If I had to make that choice it would be Heckler all the way-Konas are nice but I think lower maintanance/less pivots to service down the line and lower weight will pay off in the long run.
so there> my 0.02
I'm sorry but this is not a very helpful advice...:skep:

1. Both are single pivots (do some research). Currently, single pivot is not an outdated design, including Kona's specific.
2. All suspension designes need some maintenance but it's not like you have to do it every day. One, four or even more pivots every few months to take care of, I say no big deal.
3. Have you ridden any of the subjects? do you have any data to support your comment that the Heckler weighs less?

To the OP: Both bikes are good and have a lot in common so it's down to personal preference. Sorry, but the only advice I can give you is that you try both and choose the one that you like more.
Both specs are OK (take some leave some).

·
Registered
144 Posts
ntha said:

1. Both are single pivots (do some research). Currently, single pivot is not an outdated design, including Kona's specific.
2. All suspension designes need some maintenance but it's not like you have to do it every day. One, four or even more pivots every few months to take care of, I say no big deal.
3. Have you ridden any of the subjects? do you have any data to support your comment that the Heckler weighs less?

To the OP: Both bikes are good and have a lot in common so it's down to personal preference. Sorry, but the only advice I can give you is that you try both and choose the one that you like more.
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Yes, I have ridden both. Kona is nice, Heckler is better.
I rule, You suck!
wanna fight?
tomorrow after school in the back parking lot MANO A MANO, If I beat Kona fanboy, the guy buys a Heckler, If I lose (which I won't, cause I rule;) ) the guy buys a Heckler.
SO THERE.......

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First you say this
usernamehere said:
Then you say this and start a flame war
usernamehere said:
Yes, I have ridden both. Kona is nice, Heckler is better.
Clearly your full of SCHITT

To the OP:
They are both excellent designs that use single pivot suspensions. The Kona uses the seat stays and rocker arm to drive the shock and I've owned this design and it works good (and riding in the PNW never had to replace pivot bushings/bearings in over three years). Both will exhibit brake squat which is inherent in the design. I like the Spec's a little better on the Kona, but they're close enough that it really comes down to how they ride for you and which one feels more comfortable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ntha said:

NTHA-Your'e right-Kona is a single pivot-For some reason I thought they were 4 bar. I think they are called faux bar. sorry buddy.
:thumbsup: Friends?
I still want the OP to buy a Heckler.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
I like the Spec's a little better on the Kona, but they're close enough that it really comes down to how they ride for you and which one feels more comfortable.
+1 on the specs of the Kona. Have several friends with Kona, very good bike and in fact better warranty than SC but I think Hechler would be tougher??
Try both and see which one fits the best:thumbsup:
Both sweat bikes

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
I highly recommend riding both, as well as other designs. Whatever you read about suspension design and how it is "supposed to " perform, it is 90% hype. Ride, and see how it works for you.

247 Posts
Hello BallardFoodie! I owned a 2006 Kona Dawg Deluxe(first real bike) which was heavy out of the box 1500.00 about 33.5 lbs. I upgraded things as I went along and could afford them! I kept upgrading until eventually I got a newer 2008 frame (still 5" travel) and last upgrades were a Thompson seatpost and easton handlebars! There is nothing left original on the bike and with 2.1 inch Kenda Nevegals I had the weight under 29 lbs.
I dont know how much either of the two bikes weigh that you are looking at. I have ridden other suspension designs throughout owning this bike but never the SC Heckler! This bikes suspension design is a descent one but there are better ones out there! I don't know and never heard anything about the newer 6" travel frame but I would guess that there is a difference in the feel of the bike! Maybe a little plusher!
I know from owning this bike that some other rear travel designs track the rocky terrain better and stay glued to the ground and I have tried different setups with the shock. I have never had any frame and bearing issues related to either of the Kona frames that I had, they were both solid as a rock!! I only upgraded the frame for the lower ball clearance and Scandium Aluminum frame which is a bit lighter and stronger.
I also see that there are a lot of reviews for the Heckler and I have never heard anything bad about them! I would have to agree with some of the other people on this site and somehow try both on for size, its the only way to really get a feel for what you need out of your next purchase! I hope this helps you..:)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
/\ Paragraphs are your friend , I went cross eyed trying to read that . I am sure that you had a valid point , but I gave up trying to read it .

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Nice , that is much easier on the eyes . Thanks .

·
Registered
254 Posts
They're both nice bikes but I'd go with the heckler. I've been riding one since 05 and I have a new one on the way. I ride mostly XC and epic trail stuff. I never feel under-gunned on it, it's comfy all day long, climbs well enough to do endurance races and the sweet handling has saved my *ss more times than I'll admit to. (Hey, if nobody sees it, it doesn't count, right?) I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have owned both. I currently ride a 2009 Heckler and love it (that being said I am building a yeti 575 and selling the heckler). I do prefer the heckler over the kona, its a great all around rig and requires very little maintenance. As far as the build kit comparisons, I would still go with the heckler and just upgrade as you can. The kona just never felt right, whereas the heckler was perfect from the beginning. Everyone is different and it is very important to ride both to see which one feels better to you. I'll end by saying I have had the privilege of owning a crapload of bikes over the last many years and the hecker is definately near the top of my list of favorites, only reason I'm selling mine is because I love 575's and I got a great deal on one. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts