Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Addicted to Dirt
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think there are any hopes of scoring a campsite for the July 4th weekend? I'm driving up from FL Friday night (June 30th). All the reservable campsites are gone, will all the non reservable campsites be gone by early Sat morning?

Can anyone recommend other places to camp in or near Pisgah. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,054 Posts
ingluis said:
Do you guys think there are any hopes of scoring a campsite for the July 4th weekend? I'm driving up from FL Friday night (June 30th). All the reservable campsites are gone, will all the non reservable campsites be gone by early Sat morning?

Can anyone recommend other places to camp in or near Pisgah. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
Last time we camped there we got the last site & it wasn't anywhere :eek: near vaction time.
Camping is probably gonna be popular this 4th with folks like me w/lil' to no funds. :thumbsup: Thankz POTUS.:thumbsup: Not sure about surrounding area. Look up Sycamore Cycles in that area, they'll know.

Linky
http://www.sycamorecycles.com/

Maybe get more area info here:
http://www.hendersonvilledirectory.com/index.php8

·
Registered
991 Posts
ingluis said:

Good Luck! I was there early for Memorial Day weekend and they were booked well before I got there. I know you can reserve some of the campgrounds around there. Don't forget about Mt. Pisgah Campground right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's about 16 miles from the park entrance but it's nice, not usually crowded(it wasn't on Mem Day weekend) and the drive to the campground is gorgeous.

Ryan H.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
ingluis said:
You may have trouble finding a spot, usually most places are filled, even the free camping areas. If Davidson is full, there are free spots just below the Pisgah Riding Stables which is just past the Davidson River Campground on your right just past the visitor center. There is also camping in North Mills River which is about 15 minutes down the road, pay areas and free. The pay areas are usually booked, but you can give it a try. There are nice free spots on Wash Creek road which you pass on your right entering the campground, and also on Yellow Gap road which is basically the road that goes straight through the campground and turns into gravel just as you exit the campground. If all else fails you could camp on the Blue Ridge Parkway but you will have to haul in your gear. Good luck.

Here is the link where you can reserve a campsite at Davidson
Link: http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/nc/davi/newindex.html

Here is the link to reserve at North Mills River
Link: http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/nc/nomr/newindex.html

·
Addicted to Dirt
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the heads up! I reserved a campsite at North Mills River.:thumbsup:

How far are the must do trails from the North Mills River campground, is the distance rideable or do you pretty much have to drive everywhere.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,054 Posts
ingluis said:
Thanks everyone for the heads up! I reserved a campsite at North Mills River.:thumbsup:

How far are the must do trails from the North Mills River campground, is the distance rideable or do you pretty much have to drive everywhere.

There are some killer trails that dump out in North Mills River cg. Gonna hafta shuttle or climb about 2-3k ft to get to th' good stuff. We rode a section new yrs day that began at almost 5kft. w/6" of snow on the ground, had to climb about 5miles & 2kft to get to th' trail head. Killer. Can't remember the names of te trails but they're awesome. Trace, upper Trace come to mind. There are lurkers on this board that can give you better info.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,309 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
There are some killer trails that dump out in North Mills River cg. Gonna hafta shuttle or climb about 2-3k ft to get to th' good stuff. We rode a section new yrs day that began at almost 5kft. w/6" of snow on the ground, had to climb about 5miles & 2kft to get to th' trail head. Killer. Can't remember the names of te trails but they're awesome. Trace, upper Trace come to mind. There are lurkers on this board that can give you better info.
I don't think the climb to the top of Trace Ridge is that bad. Maybe your talking about Big Creek? Big Creek is wicked but you have a big climb to get to it. One hand guy: next time you get to the top of trace go down Spencer instead. It's steeper, looser, freerideier...

There are many great trails around Mills River campground including classics like Laurel Mountian and Trace Ridge. And if you are clever you can get to Black mtn., Squirel gap, south mills river, avery creek, etc... on bike without touching pavement. It depends how many miles you consider a "ride" that determines if you will want to drive to these trails or ride.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,328 Posts
North Mills area has got some great stuff (Trace and Spencer Gap), plus you've got Laurel Mtn/Pilot Rock, Pilot Cove/Slate Rock Creek trails all within riding distance, up Yellow Gap rd 1206.... plus you've got Bent Creek on the other side of the parkway if you wanted to go that route.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,054 Posts
Maida7 said:
I don't think the climb to the top of Trace Ridge is that bad. Maybe your talking about Big Creek? Big Creek is wicked but you have a big climb to get to it. One hand guy: next time you get to the top of trace go down Spencer instead. It's steeper, looser, freerideier...

There are many great trails around Mills River campground including classics like Laurel Mountian and Trace Ridge. And if you are clever you can get to Black mtn., Squirel gap, south mills river, avery creek, etc... on bike without touching pavement. It depends how many miles you consider a "ride" that determines if you will want to drive to these trails or ride.
Yep, those are the trails. Spencer is killer. Laruel mtn. is good too. I haven't gone up there enough, (1-3) times to really associate names with the blur of scenery coming down. Sweet stuff up there. Just too many people:rolleyes: pile'n in to really enjoy the area for me. I'd rather hit the Wilson Creek :cool: end of Pisgah. All the climbing, :thumbsup: dh, freeride :thumbsup: & xc anyone could want.:thumbsup: But yall wouldn't enjoy it:nono: so better stay over in Brevard. Oh, man, :madman: now everyones gonna be up in Wilsons. Pisgah is good from one end to th' other...I love me some :D western NC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.