Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Attitude is everything, and I have a glass half-full attitude at all times. But I've pulled a Double-Dave, and these were the same gravel/rails-to-trails rides on the Katy Trail in Missouri. The entire trail is over 250 miles long. Both times we drove to St. Louis and took our bikes west on Amtrak to Sedalia, MO and stayed at B&Bs carrying light luggage, pedaling back to St. Louis. Had four people each time we rode.

Dave #1: This was 2012, incredibly hot and dry summer. Day 1, rode 76 miles. Four tenths of a mile from our B&B, I pull over and pass out at the side of the trail. Friend in front notices me, comes back, pours water on me and wakes me up. The rest of the day I'm incapacitated, can't eat, can't drink, tho I know how important that is. Next day I manage to eat a decent breakfast. Ride another 76 miles, can't eat that night either. Again, I know that's a huge concern but I just can't eat or drink much. Both nights by buddies are drinking beer but I'm only doing Sprite and Gatorade. Next morning, my resting heart rate is 120, we all decide I should pack it in. They do the third day ride, get my truck at the train station and come back and pick me up.

Dave #2: Same Katy trail trip, except instead of 220 miles in 3 days, we plan 260 miles in 5 days. Another hot summer, I think it was 2016. At the end of the third day, about three miles from our B&B I had to suddenly stop and puke up everything inside of me and I was getting cramps all over my body. I didn't have any inkling that anything was wrong until about five miles before that. Got a local to drive me the last three miles to our B&B. The town we bailed out at had an Amtrak stop, and that area got over two inches that day, so the extra $15 train ticket was well justified.

Those are probably my first and second worst fails. Both times I didn't know anything was signifcantly wrong until real close to my meltdowns. I don't have a history of doing this. I may have been pitiful but I always keep a decent attitude.

Actually, I have a Dave #3, another rails to trails ride on New River Trail in Virginia. It's 57 miles each way, add another 10 each day to get to and from the hotel. Coming back day 2, about 15 miles to go I hit an unexpected bump and go down hard and get knocked out for several minutes. My friends called 911 rescue and that was another great ending.....

I plan a lot of out of state multi-day rides like this, and I do have several success stories. If I plan another one folks won't hesitate to jump on, I'm not that bad.....

Attitude is everything.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Attitude is everything, and I have a glass half-full attitude at all times. But I've pulled a Double-Dave, and these were the same gravel/rails-to-trails rides on the Katy Trail in Missouri. The entire trail is over 250 miles long. Both times we drove to St. Louis and took our bikes west on Amtrak to Sedalia, MO and stayed at B&Bs carrying light luggage, pedaling back to St. Louis. Had four people each time we rode.

Dave #1: This was 2012, incredibly hot and dry summer. Day 1, rode 76 miles. Four tenths of a mile from our B&B, I pull over and pass out at the side of the trail. Friend in front notices me, comes back, pours water on me and wakes me up. The rest of the day I'm incapacitated, can't eat, can't drink, tho I know how important that is. Next day I manage to eat a decent breakfast. Ride another 76 miles, can't eat that night either. Again, I know that's a huge concern but I just can't eat or drink much. Both nights by buddies are drinking beer but I'm only doing Sprite and Gatorade. Next morning, my resting heart rate is 120, we all decide I should pack it in. They do the third day ride, get my truck at the train station and come back and pick me up.

Dave #2: Same Katy trail trip, except instead of 220 miles in 3 days, we plan 260 miles in 5 days. Another hot summer, I think it was 2016. At the end of the third day, about three miles from our B&B I had to suddenly stop and puke up everything inside of me and I was getting cramps all over my body. I didn't have any inkling that anything was wrong until about five miles before that. Got a local to drive me the last three miles to our B&B. The town we bailed out at had an Amtrak stop, and that area got over two inches that day, so the extra $15 train ticket was well justified.

Those are probably my first and second worst fails. Both times I didn't know anything was signifcantly wrong until real close to my meltdowns. I don't have a history of doing this. I may have been pitiful but I always keep a decent attitude.

Actually, I have a Dave #3, another rails to trails ride on New River Trail in Virginia. It's 57 miles each way, add another 10 each day to get to and from the hotel. Coming back day 2, about 15 miles to go I hit an unexpected bump and go down hard and get knocked out for several minutes. My friends called 911 rescue and that was another great ending.....

I plan a lot of out of state multi-day rides like this, and I do have several success stories. If I plan another one folks won't hesitate to jump on, I'm not that bad.....

Attitude is everything.
Those are some respectable outings, kinda hard to consider them “Dave” stories with those kind of miles.

·
the beat goes on
284 Posts
This thread is why I ride alone!
exactly! i don't want to hold anyone up and i don't want anyone else to control the pace. it makes me not have fun. i just want to ride my own pace, stop when i want to, walk if i have to....

...and not have to talk if i don't want to.

now get off my lawn.

·
38,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
This thread is why I ride alone!
exactly! i don't want to hold anyone up and i don't want anyone else to control the pace. it makes me not have fun. i just want to ride my own pace, stop when i want to, walk if i have to....

...and not have to talk if i don't want to.

now get off my lawn.
This is how I’ve been for years. My ride time is a get away from the daily life and work stresses. I don't need the stress of holding others up or having to press on when I’d rather stop and smell the wildflowers on occasion. Riding solo is where it’s at for me 90% of the time these days.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Dave is my neighbor, a nice guy who bought a $400 beginner mountain bike and rides the a popular 11-mile loop for beginners around the neighborhood a couple of times a month.

On Saturdays Dave and I both send our kids to a foreign language class nearby. One Saturday after dropping our kids off at said class, we met up at the parking lot and went for an easy ride on the 11-mile loop. Since he was a beginner, we went very slow, but his fitness was such that he had to stop for breath after every little climb. The whole ride took 3x my normal time, and we barely made it back to the parking lot before class dismissal.

I put my bike in my truck and went to the restroom to clean up. By the time I came out, the class had ended, kids were out and soccer moms were there to pick up their kids. Dave, instead of putting his bike away, had dragged his bike from the parking lot to the classroom door and was straddling his bike with his elbows on the handlebar, talking to the soccer moms, showing off the fact that he had just finished an 11-mile loop and basking in their admiring looks like he was some hot ****.

He couldn’t ride worth **** (still can’t), but at least he knew how to pose.
I've met this Dave's brother from another mother.

·
The White Jeff W
5,696 Posts
When I first started riding MTB I rode exclusively by myself for the first few months because I didn't want to be a Dave. When I did finally join a group ride it turned out that I was actually pretty good shape from years of playing ice hockey and some weight training and was able to hold my own. That said, there are definitely some people that I don't ride with because I will surely be there Dave. Their casual pace is red zone for me!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Professional Crastinator
6,176 Posts
Surprisingly, I have 2 Dave stories from 1 weekend of riding. Neither Dave is me.

Dave 1 had some trouble riding a fairly easy trail on Friday, but we made it back without much wailing or gnashing of teeth. However, the same Dave 1 went out on Saturday, finished a decent "B" ride, then decided to do "one more loop" of a ~10 minute downhill with the corresponding 40 minute return climb. The woman he set off with returned 45 minutes later (yes, she is super fast!) and advised us that he needed to be picked up somewhere down the road. Apparently, he was literally just sitting there.

Dave 2 had set off on the same day with the "A" group. The A group did about 20 rocky miles and over 3000ft. Dave 2 did about 16 miles and luckily found a ski resort bar where someone could pick him up later.

Both guys are decent enough riders, and I enjoy riding with both of them. But they both bit off more than they could chew that day. It was all laughs after everyone started feeling better.

-F

·
That’s no moon.
764 Posts
One of my Dave moments:
I was part of a team in a 12 hour race. I took a couple of laps that day and then, as it got dark and cold, found myself lounging by a fire with a cold brew in my hand.

Then up walks my teammate who had just finished his lap (I was next) looking peeved.

He was looking for me and I wasn’t where I was supposed to be, obviously.
We weren’t in contention to win, but I still got teased about it afterwards.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Wait!?!?!? I thought Dave died of Covid? Glad to hear he's ok. I just don't want to ride with him.

·
Cycologist
7,899 Posts
Wait!?!?!? I thought Dave died of Covid? Glad to hear he's ok. I just don't want to ride with him.
No, he's just dragging behind 'cause, you know, "long covid".

·
Registered
604 Posts
I ride with a guy who's a little behind me, but a good friend so I go slow. He said I've got a cousin who says he rides all the time, and wants to come. Instead of meeting at a trailhead, he wants to start from his house (found out he doesn't own a car, no big deal). Bike was not a "ride all the time" kind of bike (red flag #1). We head out of the neighborhood and it's downhill, he's riding in the middle of the street (red flag #2). We weave 10 minutes or so to the the area he knows of that has hidden "trails" he takes a break to smoke weed (it's legal here). 3rd red flag. 7-8 minutes in he wants to stop and smoke again, I glance at my friend he can tell I'm getting antsy. My truck is at his house, thinking about how I get out of this. My idea of riding is never setting a foot down until you're back at the rig. Stopping every 5-10 minutes ain't riding. Dude ends up jumping off a rock and taco'ing the rim. I offer to go grab my truck so we don't all have to limp his bike home.

And that's the story about how started to prescreen riding partners before going out. Basically a pre ride interview process, lol.

·
38,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Dave is my neighbor, a nice guy who bought a $400 beginner mountain bike and rides the a popular 11-mile loop for beginners around the neighborhood a couple of times a month.

On Saturdays Dave and I both send our kids to a foreign language class nearby. One Saturday after dropping our kids off at said class, we met up at the parking lot and went for an easy ride on the 11-mile loop. Since he was a beginner, we went very slow, but his fitness was such that he had to stop for breath after every little climb. The whole ride took 3x my normal time, and we barely made it back to the parking lot before class dismissal.

I put my bike in my truck and went to the restroom to clean up. By the time I came out, the class had ended, kids were out and soccer moms were there to pick up their kids. Dave, instead of putting his bike away, had dragged his bike from the parking lot to the classroom door and was straddling his bike with his elbows on the handlebar, talking to the soccer moms, showing off the fact that he had just finished an 11-mile loop and basking in their admiring looks like he was some hot ****.

He couldn’t ride worth **** (still can’t), but at least he knew how to pose.
As lame as this dude sounds this story is kinda funny at the end.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts