Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not familiar with what options are available to start a child on. Our daughter turns 2 in a few months and has taken intrest in her older friends bikes. So whats our best bet, a glider? a bike? if so what brand, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Strider makes a damn good first bike. It's light, very adjustable and not too expensive considering the time a kid will likely use it. I taught both my kids to ride on em.

Don't put your child on a bike with pedals and training wheels as I initially did. It will teach a ton of bad habits and they are really hard to break (brake too as three wheels in rear isn't conducive to braking :))

I was amazed at the speed at which they picked up the necessary skills to ride a push bike and the transition to pedal bike when they are ready is almost instantaneous. Good luck and I hope the info helps.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
no real recommendation as both are fine and will depend on what you want to do. bike would allow longer distances, and getting accustomed to "bikeness" like rear coaster and pedaling. glider, shorter distances, works on balancing first and "gliding", can't really take a child on a glider and try and jog along side. there's no right or wrong.

when my children were 2, we could go on a flat dirt jogging trail, i jog about 2-3 miles and the child riding next to me. slower pace of course, but there and it's not as tiring for them. i've not seen (first hand) a child capable of doing that with a glider. my children had the luxury of both.

if you don't jog or just go to a park and run in circles, or just converse with others, then the child can tool around in a glider while you run around in circles.

I would say it will depend mostly on what your environment is, and what you prefer to do with your child.

From what i can tell and observed first hand is that they all learn about the same. The hard part, is convincing her to keep doing it when the "big" kids leave her in the dust.

brandwise, not sure it matters at that age. it's all neighborhood type stuff, no real off-roading. they grow *so* fast that anything you invest in is gone, if you buy new. i would buy used, and again, i don't believe it matters much at all.

you could also buy both. they have different uses. it's just like other things, some kids are better at painting, others alphabet, others numbers.

long story short, there is no best bet, as it's entirely on the child. fwiw, i'm not one to push a child to do something in a certain way. i observe, help with what they are trying to do or showing interest in using. ymmv.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated glider bike. You have the option of removing the pedals off a small pedal bike to let them glide for the week or two they'll need to. After that they want pedals.

Two kids using this method and they are maniac riders, works fine..

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
that's a good recommendation, canuckjgc. remove the chain too, so the cranks don't spin around, may help as well. all simple to do with basic hand tools. i wish i'd thought of it when my kids were that small. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second the Strider bike. Bought my boy one for his 2d b-day. He didn't love it at first, but now we can't get him off the thing. The seat can be lowered very far and it is light enough for a 2 year old to drag it around with them. Very fun and couldn't be happier with ours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK so after much research I would have to say the Strider bike as well. The great thing about them is how low you can put the seat. You can start them as young as a year old which is harder to do with your typical 12" bike. If the child is older or taller removing the components would work, but the Strider also weighs less then 7 lbs so a lot easier for the little ones to hold up. I'm going with the Strider!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bought my 2 year old a Haro Z-10 glider and he loves the thing we go on bike rides all over town. The one day I went back and measured how long we rode and it was almost 2 miles. He loves it, his favorite thing is taking it off curbs and steps. He is going on three now and will more than likely get a pedal bike in the spring, but my 10 month old is going to be getting on the glider as soon as he can walk. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another vote for the Strider. I got my son one for his 1st birthday and he was just tall enough to get his toes on the ground. By 18 months, he was pushing pretty good. By about 2.5 he was really cooking down the sidewalk. Got him a pedal bike with no training wheels for his 3rd birthday and he just took off. He's almost 3.5 now and we regularly ride 4-5 miles. His little bro is almost 15 months and still trying to figure out the Strider but it won't be long now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts