Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some parts from a guy I know and this fork was in the pile. I asked about the rest of the bike. He didn't think I would want it. We settled that matter quickly enough and the bike is coming tomorrow. I was wondering if any of the Klein guys could fill me in on how to figure the age of a Klein. It would be fun to know how to do it when she comes tomorrow. The fork has A1694 on the back,if thats useful. The frame is super small but the color rocks. Any help would be great.

I gotta Cook Bros E spider for anyone with springs for IRD Switchbacks or the small parts for one wheels worth of Curver C3's.
 

Attachments

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is most gracious of you, giving me the info, in the "tongue" of the land where I am living. Do you happen to know the original parts spec. or where that info can be had?

小さい自転車やけど、トレードがなければ見るだけでも幸せだなーーー。
 
G

·
takenomorimonster said:
That is most gracious of you, giving me the info, in the "tongue" of the land where I am living. Do you happen to know the original parts spec. or where that info can be had?

小さい自転車やけど、トレードがなければ見るだけでも幸せだなーーー。
yes, the 1993 Sunburst
the 1993 catalogue and others are on www.mtb-kataloge.de

Carsten
 

Attachments

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Some of that doesn't look too hard to come by. Can't remember the last time I saw any deathgrips though.
 

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They sure are beautiful.This klein I am working on has scratches in places. What is the scoop on restoration? Is it possible in original paint?
 

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, Rumpfy, what kinda bikes you got put together?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Deathgrips are still available from Trek, I just bought a set (2.3). They look identical to a set I still have from 93.

takenomorimonster said:
Thanks. Some of that doesn't look too hard to come by. Can't remember the last time I saw any deathgrips though.
 

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
;) Thanks.
Here is the rest of the bike, just came about an hour ago. I was all set for a super tiny bike with a ton of scratches. It blew my mind away. It is in pretty good shape. Here is a photo of my two babes, my new Klein and the corner of my wifes butt. Just the bike guys, just the bike,:nono: :ihih:

I was wondering about chipped areas. There are two small areas where the paint coat started to flake. How do I prevent that from expanding? Is there touch up paint out there somewhere?
 

Attachments

·
He be a moose too.
Joined
·
2,161 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
What is the scoop on restoration? Is it possible in original paint?
Klein/Trek no longer does the original paint jobs, so you can't get it through them.

In general, this sort of paint job is not the sort of thing that you can touch up. I have a multi-color fade Klein with similar colors and the place that painted it said that they would have to repaint the entire bike to fix the scratches. The airline scratched it and they had to pay big time for that as the entire cost of a repaint was assessed as the damage for a single scratch.

I've even talked to automobile places and they can touch up a car that is entirely a solid color but when you get a scratch on the door or quarter panel of a car with fades and other fancy work, they redo the entire door or panel. Even recently I gave it a try for some touch up work and was very disappointed (and out $$$ too) at the results. Live with the scratches I say.

BTW, hot bike, very hot.

'Guin
 

·
Banzai
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about the flaking areas. Is there something I can put on the area to kinda seal the edge of the paint, ensure that it isn't always snagging on something and peeling more?
 

·
Sweep the leg!
Joined
·
3,803 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I want that Sugino Disk! :D

Me too. I rode one once and while it may not have made me faster, it did sound cool.
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Paint Touch Up

Touch up of the various paint schemes is explained in the Klein Tech Manual. It tells you how to layer the colours.
Unfortunately only some of the original colours are still available through Trek.
 

·
501
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
;)
Here is the rest of the bike, just came about an hour ago. I was all set for a super tiny bike with a ton of scratches. It blew my mind away. It is in pretty good shape. QUOTE]
Very, Very nice 93.
The sunburst only came in 92 and 93.
Without looking at any serial numbers, You can easily tell the difference between the 92 and 93.
The 92 has the 27.2 seat post. Yours has the 31.6.
The 92 top tube and downtube are the same size.
The 93s downtube is noticeably larger than its top tube.
You have the "18" or xs. The xs is the only model with the small tube that extends beyond the seat tube to help guide the rear brake cable.
You need a 34.9 front derailuer.

You hit the jackpot. Awesome bike!!!! Restoration? yours is already mint!
I seriously doubt that bike ever wore out its first chain, much less ever got the chain dirty.
If i don't see where the housing has started to wear through the side of the head tube, i consider them mint-ish.

Nice picture too. It shows all the different color fades of the bike simultaneously.
I definitely right-clicked it. :)
 

·
501
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
What about the flaking areas. Is there something I can put on the area to kinda seal the edge of the paint, ensure that it isn't always snagging on something and peeling more?
I use the Park clear tube patches. I use them to protect the head tube so the housing doesn't wear a groove into it. I also might use them near the exit hole on the top tube for the rear brake cable. If i am correct, according to your picture, this is one of the areas that you are concerned about.
Apply the tube patch from the middle of the patch and press out the air to the outside of the patch just like you would a tube.
Be very carefull and take your time applying the patch.
The very second that patch touches your frame, that is the exact spot it needs to go in.
Do not attempt to take back off the clear patch to readjust it in any way....
Once it barely touches the frame, It can and will take a bubbling paint off with it.(instantly)
 

·
He be a moose too.
Joined
·
2,161 Posts
I wouldn't use the park patches as they are designed to be for tubes not paint. I've have tried the Park patches and they have removed a little clear coat. There are small plastic circles and oblong pieces that you can get from a shop that are specifically designed for protecting the frame. They aren't quite as strong as the adhesive on the tube patches. They aren't expensive and available at most shops. I use them where the cables rub the frame on all my bikes.

As far as the paint chipping I don't know. Go talk to a frame painter or body shop about this. Maybe a new clear coat would help, not sure. This frame is absolutely worth ensuring that it gets proper treatment and it's not that expensive to get a new clear coat.

'Guin
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,648 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
;) Thanks.
Here is the rest of the bike, just came about an hour ago. I was all set for a super tiny bike with a ton of scratches. It blew my mind away. It is in pretty good shape. Here is a photo of my two babes, my new Klein and the corner of my wifes butt. Just the bike guys, just the bike,:nono: :ihih:

I was wondering about chipped areas. There are two small areas where the paint coat started to flake. How do I prevent that from expanding? Is there touch up paint out there somewhere?

Nice bu...bike. Nice bike!

:smilewinkgrin:
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,648 Posts
takenomorimonster said:
So, Rumpfy, what kinda bikes you got put together?

Thats an involved question. Projects...lots of them. :p

Currently 6 are built, 2-3 are pretty close, and the rest in various states of 'progress'.

15-20 bikes hanging around at any given time.
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,648 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
Me too. I rode one once and while it may not have made me faster, it did sound cool.
They're a blast to ride.

What you lose due to weight and flex, (or cross winds or malfunctions) you make up for in riding faster so you can hear the wheel more. :D
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top