Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm definitely moving in the other direction, yeah. I don't have a Garmin, but I use Strava primarily to track my vert. It is accurate enough. For a long time, I've been trying to beat each previous year's vert record. I don't know if I'll ever beat last year's record. Maybe when I'm retired/kids grow up and move out of the house. And by then, I likely won't be able to ride that much, ha!

Chasing KOMs has been fun, but at this point, I either have the ones I'm going to get, or it's not worth it to me to risk myself for one. It has gotten to a point where, on a lot of trails, I don't enjoy the ride if I can't come close to my PR, and that is only possible when conditions are great (we've barely had any rain this year). There's something wrong with that.

Anyway, I ride a lot of trails that are of cough questionable legality. They are legal to ride, but they aren't exactly sanctioned, if you know what I mean. These are not on Strava, and hopefully it stays that way. My joy of riding these trails, without any pressure to "go faster" or beat any records, has been amazing, and exactly why I got into riding in the first place. I am a competitive person, but I guess I'm starting to question the point. Nobody cares, even in the big leagues. Glory lasts for a short while, and life is worth a lot more anyway. Racing is about as dangerous as it gets.

I'm also thinking that when my iPhone dies, I'm going back to a flipphone or other non-internet-capable phone. I'm tired of a lot of aspects of these technologies, and want full control of my life and time back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought the original garmin wheel sensors didn’t have replaceable batteries. Must have read it wrong.

I use MTB Project or CycleMeter just for fun. It’s too flat around here for any kind of elevation data. If I still lived out west, it would be great. Mostly I use them for the maps, just to see where I am, or went. Or to find new trails.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like having the log. I understand what you are getting at. In the dark ages I put away my speedometer because I was always looking at it trying to tighten my cadence improve my time. It was exhausting. Biking became a chore. Older and not wiser I don't really worry about all those things as far as speed. I do like the log. I do like the real time stats. I don't worry about it so much that it changes how I ride in real time. If I want to cruise I cruise. If I want to push I push

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,042 Posts
The older I get, the more I realize that I enjoy exploring and just being in the saddle more than trying to prove something or feeling like I'm training. I went through a few years of racing, and once it was out of my system I just stuck with running my Garmin to track rides. I was always interested in climbing, mileage and yearly mileage mainly, but tracked a few other things also.

Lately tracking rides feels like a burden. I still have this training mentality where my brain says "any ride that doesn't meet X criteria is a waste of time". Under 10 miles is a waste. Not climbing at least 1500' is a waste.

Some days I just want to get out and ride a few miles without my inner monologue telling me it's pointless, so I'm considering ditching the Garmin and only keeping it around as a GPS unit for bikepacking and exploring.

Seems dumb that it feels weird to consider getting rid of something I've used for years, and an even dumber part of me is worried I'll eventually not be in as good of shape as I am now because I won't be pushing myself as hard for stats.

Has anyone else gone through this?
I've never owned a Garmin. Tracked all of my rides using phone GPS since the iPhone 3 came out (and have done the same on Android phone for the last year or so).

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Using a Garmin to log mileage, speed and time isn't really data overload. This whole thread is silly.

Garmin units record several dozens of different data so I can see how people could experience sensory overload. Mileage and speed are only 2 and I never even have those displayed on my screen.

·
DFMBA.org
1,888 Posts
I still track my rides but don’t use my Garmin any more. I have my phone with me on my rides anyways, so I just purchased a really good mount for it (Quad Lock). I just run Strava on the phone or Trailforks so it saves a sync step as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Go faster!
1,103 Posts
I ditched the garmin for a couple of years, then started using it again since last year because it's nice to have some info ready right in front of you, like time of day, HR for the big climbs, then just ignore it most of the time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Garmin units record several dozens of different data so I can see how people could experience sensory overload.
Let's check my last Garmin logs, shall we

• Location vs time (GPS Speed)
  • Wheel sensor Speed
  • Elevation
  • Cadence
  • Power
  • Temperature
  • Heart Rate
  • Respiration Rate (completely made up AFAIK)
  • Flow (Garmin may be trolling me)
  • Grit (Garmin is definitely trolling me)
  • Overtaking Vehicle Count (now we're out in the weeds)
  • Overtaking Vehicle Speed (well, hell, why not?)

Did I miss anything? I'm assuming there's an "air speed" and CdA option if you have an aeropod on a road bike.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Did I miss anything?

average speed, max speed, elevation gain, elevation loss, remaining elevation to climb, average cadence, max cadence, average power, max power, left/right balance, average hr, max hr, time, elapsed time, lap time, lap speed TSS, heat acclimation, altitude acclimation, grade %, training status, V02max, calories burned, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I missed lots.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
average speed, max speed, elevation gain, elevation loss, remaining elevation to climb, average cadence, max cadence, average power, max power, left/right balance, average hr, max hr, time, elapsed time, lap time, lap speed TSS, heat acclimation, altitude acclimation, grade %, training status, V02max, calories burned, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure I missed lots.
I'll give you L-R power balance, but I think everything else is calculated (either in real time or after the fact) from the other parameters, and not recorded in the actual tracklog.

Which admittedly is a distinction I created, not the author of this thread.

And my Garmin has indeed been giving me "heat acclimation" updates this month. I didn't ask for them.

·
Sneaker man
3,511 Posts
yeah respiration is... daft.
but then i found the flow/grit/jump things to be daft too...
and yeah, "you are 3% acclimated to heat"...what its like 22C, its not hot, what you on about mr Garmin.

Look I love my Garmin(s) but some of the stuff is just silly

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Garmin units record several dozens of different data so I can see how people could experience sensory overload. Mileage and speed are only 2 and I never even have those displayed on my screen.
Sure they do. But it's up to the user to decide what data they want to look at. Nobody is forcing a gun to their head to look at ALL of the data.

Everyone I ride with has a garmin or lezyne unit. The only thing that's ever discussed is mileage for mountain bike rides and speed/mileage on road bike rides.

All the other stuff is just fluff that nobody cares about. You make it what it is. It can be data overload if you study every metric it spits out or you can limit it to looking at only 2 pieces of data.

I still maintain that this thread is just silly.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
Sure they do. But it's up to the user to decide what data they want to look at. Nobody is forcing a gun to their head to look at ALL of the data.

Everyone I ride with has a garmin or lezyne unit. The only thing that's ever discussed is mileage for mountain bike rides and speed/mileage on road bike rides.

All the other stuff is just fluff that nobody cares about. You make it what it is. It can be data overload if you study every metric it spits out or you can limit it to looking at only 2 pieces of data.

I agree, but I also know different people who use their Edge for different things.

I own Wahoo products, and I own Garmin products. Wahoo approaches things very simply - do only 3 things, and do them seamlessly. Garmin gives you 300 things and lets you choose what you are interested in. I much prefer the Garmin approach, but I can see how some may not. We live in great times.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts

Speed & mileage is just fluff, irrelevant. For me.

I do enjoy power & time which a much better measure of how much effort I've done. Again, that's just my preference. If someone else just wants to monitor the changing temperature that's fine by me.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
Just discovered this tonight. Holy eff’n crap. My Edge is incredible. Yet another over the top incredible thing it is capable of. The SRAM AXS app doesn’t even indicate battery level!

·
Sneaker man
3,511 Posts
yeah, I assumed it worked with axs, I've had that setup for my di2 since 2015

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Speed & mileage is just fluff, irrelevant. For me.

I do enjoy power & time which a much better measure of how much effort I've done. Again, that's just my preference. If someone else just wants to monitor the changing temperature that's fine by me.
Yup it is what you make it.

But data overload it isn't unless for some reason a person is inclined to look at every metric. But then that's their own fault for doing so. Not the fault of the garmin.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
Yup it is what you make it.

But data overload it isn't unless for some reason a person is inclined to look at every metric. But then that's their own fault for doing so. Not the fault of the garmin.

I don't totally disagree but it can be a legitimate addiction. Cocaine and nicotine addicts can't necessary blame the drug but still it's better not to have them in front of their face all the time.

I completely understand why some prefer not to have data displayed during their rides because it diminishes the experience and also understand those who either enjoy it or never pay any attention to it while riding.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I don't look at displayed data while I ride. Otherwise I'd crash.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 82 Posts