Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The older I get, the more I realize that I enjoy exploring and just being in the saddle more than trying to prove something or feeling like I'm training. I went through a few years of racing, and once it was out of my system I just stuck with running my Garmin to track rides. I was always interested in climbing, mileage and yearly mileage mainly, but tracked a few other things also.

Lately tracking rides feels like a burden. I still have this training mentality where my brain says "any ride that doesn't meet X criteria is a waste of time". Under 10 miles is a waste. Not climbing at least 1500' is a waste.

Some days I just want to get out and ride a few miles without my inner monologue telling me it's pointless, so I'm considering ditching the Garmin and only keeping it around as a GPS unit for bikepacking and exploring.

Seems dumb that it feels weird to consider getting rid of something I've used for years, and an even dumber part of me is worried I'll eventually not be in as good of shape as I am now because I won't be pushing myself as hard for stats.

Has anyone else gone through this?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I busted up my hand crashing between two jumps last Sunday and as such have been off the bike and <shudder> running until I can squeeze the brakes again. Getting real close now, thankfully. Minor bust up for sure. Anyway, today my watch was taking forever to GPS lock and I thought to myself about all the times I just rode, ran, whatever without stats and tracking and music, etc. Almost said eff it and ran without it, but I just couldn't do it. Wasted about a minute or two more of time, it finally synced, and off I went.

I definitely have the minimum miles issue. Sometimes I convince myself that if I don't have three hours to ride it's not a ride at all. I have trails 20 minutes door to trailhead, how dumb am I for not getting an hour or so in after work when they are that close? I think it really is time for tour somewhere, with no real goal other than pedal and get back to the car at some point. Of course, I will look at the stats when I am done... :)

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Yup...
Pretty much ditched...

Except mines a Lezyne unit...

It's just another hassle i.e. charge is wiggy, some days it holds a full charge and runs down at an acceptable level.

Other days, it drops % drastically within a short time frame.

Then you forget to pause it when you're shuttling etc.

Also, if there's a yard sale it can drop off and get lost.

I don't use the data for any real purpose.

Got a new phone which it won't pair with... likey needs to be reset.

PS - probably need to update the bloody thing!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely have the minimum miles issue. Sometimes I convince myself that if I don't have three hours to ride it's not a ride at all. I have trails 20 minutes door to trailhead, how dumb am I for not getting an hour or so in after work when they are that close? I think it really is time for tour somewhere, with no real goal other than pedal and get back to the car at some point. Of course, I will look at the stats when I am done... :)
This is exactly it. It's actually been discouraging me to ride because my inner racerboi yelling about minimum ride stats ends up being louder than my "just go out and pedal around for a bit" voice.

I used to ride like crazy and tracked absolutely nothing. Sounds dumb but it seems like a much simpler time. I've cut social media and all kinds of other similarly burdensome stuff out of my life over the last 5 years. I'm wondering if it's the Garmins time.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
I got an Edge 830 (Mountain Bike Bundle) this year as a birthday present. It does so many things so well. I have had an absolute blast with it so far. A bunch of my friends have an Edge as well. Everyone seems to use it for different purposes.

Now...I can relate to the comments as they apply to a GoPro. I wasted so much of my life trying to edit hours of boring crap video. And trying to capture what always turned out to be boring crap footage (almost certainly more a statement about my riding skills than anything else...). Anyway, I stay away from GoPros. They ruined my rides in a different way.

But my Edge 830...Ka-Boom!

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
I never got into data mining before this winter, when I began Zwifting for the first time in my life. I went deep, fast. So did my daughter. Surprisingly, I found that I enjoyed looking at the data after "rides" (for myself and my daughter). I learned a lot in the process about stuff that I am sure you and others have known about for a long time. So for me, this is a newfound thing. I suspect that's what makes it exciting for me the most. But I really have learned a lot in the process. I have found it really interesting. And motivating. I will take motivation however I can find it.

I can see why you would feel the way you feel though. I am in a bit of a time warp compared to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never understood why people love statistics for this sort of thing so much. My partner won't do a lap of a local trail without tracking how long it took us to get round. I couldn't care less. If the enjoyment in cycling comes from getting faster then sure, track away. If the enjoyment comes from being out in nature and having a good time I don't know why you would care about tracking it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't ride to try and go get PR's, I mainly just ride how I'm feeling that day , but there is one big climb we have locally that I enjoy seeing myself get faster on. I don't care about any of my DH times as I'm trying to feel the trail and not miss any opportunities for a fun boost off a rock or tree. Hammering through trails leads to so many missed opportunities. I don't plan or replacing my Garmin when it finally dies, but I'll use it for now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well duh, singlespeeders don't need a computer to output the obvious:

1. You are always in the wrong gear
2. Cadence will be too fast or too slow but coasting is bliss
3. Heart rate will be in the red zone on every hill
4. PR's require jogging up hills
5. You need to upgrade your legs

·
Registered
562 Posts
While I definitely enjoy logging my rides, I don't technically "track" stats. It's fun to share rides and pics with friends, so there's that. But my Garmin has a function which I find far more useful, navigation. Having the ability to create and/or load courses is fantastic. It's also super useful for the one or two longer distance "races" I do each year. It's also very useful in those circumstances to visualize heart rate so I kind of know where I'm at in that aspect as well.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I almost did but I was able to mentally separate myself between goal oriented rides and just for fun rides. It's an excellent tool for training and reaching goals. It's also easy to ignore after pressing "start" and just ride for fun.

My wife ran ultra marathons and she had an issue with the "why should I bother if it's only 5 miles" kind of run. So when she was short on time she ended up just not running and losing fitness as a result. That wasn't even a Garmin thing, she just didn't think it was worth it.

·
Get Down Do you
523 Posts
I like tracking my rides as a nice surprise in the parking lot post ride. It always makes me smile to feel like I was just exhausted that ride or riding poorly but I actually was faster on one of the trails. I only ever compare my times to my own times and I never worry too much about how I track vs others. I am also must say I am bit of a data junkie and I like looking at what I did for the year or month but I never use it to fault myself since I am just having fun and bad days are just bad days and I move on.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I use a pretty basic Garmin for fear of data overload and reliance, but still keep an eye on the metrics, particularly avg speed, sometimes to my detriment on days that should be lighter in intensity.

Part of me wants a high end model to download maps and have them at the ready.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I could go without, but do like to get at least 10 miles. That said, I'm not bothered if I don't. I don't really look at anything but my mileage while riding. I do like to look at Strava segments and other stats post ride. I have this anal thing about mileage on my bike. I absolutely have to make sure that the correct bike is used for that ride on Strava. Don't know why I care, but just one of my quirks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I really like tracking my miles, and I do find the heart rate (I use a watch) interesting. Some days I'll push for a PR on a section, other days I don't give a flying flip about anything.

Really just got to get into another headspace and not think about the Garmin running.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I keep track of mileage and elevation for personal goals- but the REAL reason I use it religiously is for the tracking and safety features in case of emergencies. It's a decent piece of mind to know that at least someone should be able to point to my last known location if I fall down a mountain. And being able to hold a button and text my coordinates is good too. I know it's not as good as SPOT, but I can get enough info out in 99% of the places I go to be found relatively quickly.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts