Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a Carbon road bike (Giant TCR2) to cruise around the lake with some work friends. I didn't think my commuter was up to the task. Now I have the bug.... something about cruising at an avg speed of 22 mph for 40 mins. and not considering a 15mph north wind as much of an obstacle. Not that I would give up singletracks... but the budget doesn't exist.:madman:

·
Lone Wolf McQuade
2,418 Posts
Great cross training for me. I like that I can get in 30+ miles in less than two hours right outta the garage..........I still ride with SPD's and my mtn Sidi's, so I haven't fully crossed over :)

Matt

Attachments

·
West Chester, PA
4,988 Posts
Gave up running completely and ride road when I can't drive to trails. Bought a fuji at performance for $800. Best fitness decision I've ever made. Running for years was starting to take a toll on my ankles and knees. My wife bought me a trainer for christmas last year and I used it a ton during the dead of winter.

Also not fully a roadie yet - rockin the shimano 540s and specialized mountain shoes on the road bike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I could ride 15 miles of single track every morning before I go to work, then I would have no need, but since I can't, riding a road bike is great cross training. Plus doing 40+ mph descents is a whole nuther world of fun and adrenaline.

I never thought I would ride a road bike, but after taking up mtbing, I just can't get enough of my fix during the week so it's a nice substitute.

I rock my XT's and MTB Shimano's on my CAAD9 as well!!!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,180 Posts
I know, they're horrible. So much so mine's sitting downstairs in the bike storage area at work

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Years ago when a friend first convinced me to try it I thought, “...this is going to suck.” I ended up liking it more and more, and borrowed spare bikes when I could.

Then I bought a Colnago. It improved my game on the trails so much that after the first year I had it I showed up at the first mtb race of that season, entered the same class (“Elite” 25 - 30) I always had before and ended up winning by more than 4 minutes!! True story. My wife can attest to that. She could clearly see my embarrassment when I crossed the line and realized no one else had finished yet. It was awful.

*Gulp* I had sandbagged, big-time, without knowing it. I felt like a ******. I had no idea how much of a difference that bike would make on my form back then. It’s the one and only time I have stood on the top step at an event like that and I felt terrible.

The following week I entered the “Open” category and finished where it is typical for me – usually somewhere in the upper third. That’s where I’m happiest. Better is always good but winning by that kind of margin when there are other categories is really bad.

Of course now I have kids so that form is gone for other reasons but I have since sold the Colnago and built this Bianchi L’una up. I’ve put several thousand kms on it since this shot was taken but it’s been pretty fun to ride. I like it enough.

I like road riding but right now I can’t get my fill of cross action. It offers the best of both worlds. I’m headed out right now on it in fact.

Have to squeeze in a quick one before I have to go get the kids at school.

Attachments

·
Intermediate wannabe
198 Posts
Here is my 2001 CAAD(4 or 6?) R800 bought used this year. Fun alternative when I can't mtb.

Also rockin the Shimano SPDs and same shoes for mtb

Its tough. I have to compete with my brother who rides this

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just did a 50 miler this weekend on my Trek 5000. Still wear the Specialized MTB shoes, speedplay frog pedals, and bell MTB helmet...but I did actually rock the lycra short/tight combo (it was cold). Oh and my Jimmy Johns Delivery Jersey with a Specialized downhill jersey over it. I'm sure I looked stupid!

Road Bike is not nearly as much fun (for me at least) but it is a good training tool.:thumbsup:

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
I enjoy jumping on the road bike. I'm like 30% road / 70% Mtn. Great x-training as others have said. Your fitness comes up on the mtn bike, and your "roadie" friends will be amazed by your bike handling skills.

A little climb into Yosemite from Mono Lake, and up to 10k feet this past October (riding the wheel of my friend).

And, another last fall into the Eastern Sierra.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got bit by the road bike bug as well. I picked up a cheap trek 1.2 and 6 months later bought a 2010 kuota kharma that I've added some goodies to as well. Love the convinience of being able to get on and go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love riding in my baggies and mtn shoes on egg beaters on my caad9. There are tons of roadies thal love to point and snicker at the Clyde on skinny tires... Untill I drop them on the descents and never let catch up! I am amazed at the legs and lungs that develop on a road bike in a very short time relative to trail riding. I will never give up the dirt but the xtraining is too good to pass up on! Look for closeouts at your lbs in addition to clist. One of my fav shops also sells consignments also...

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.