Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was, viewing a post on MTBR and everything froze up. I had to turn if off and now it only it only boots through about half the bios and freezes after it recognises the drives. The bios says the CPU speed was wrong. I'm taking it to a reapir shop Monday, and I'm wondering if any of the computer savy folks on the board have any idea what happened. I'm thinking CPU or maybe the hard drive; what do you think?

Brad

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yeah.. sounds weird... does it emit any beeps from the MB speaker... if you have you manual at hand you may be able to know what it is.....

Also if it says the CPU speed is wrong, and it is settable by BIOS (not jumpers) you could try to go into the BIOS conf and change the values (if you know the correct ones of course)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry to hear man, as Cris said maybe try setting the CPU speed in the BIOS or try removing and re-seating the CPU in the actual MB. BIOS might somehow have become corrupted - can't give any real good advice, trouble shooting PCs is PITA even if you're a computer nerd/tinkerer.

Had mine restarting last week for no reason, changed out HDD, changed cases and reloaded the OS, it fuffed around for a bit once I had the OS reloaded and in the new case w/ new PSU but now it's working fine :confused: no idea WTF happened there and I really don't care - it's working and that's that - ran [email protected] 100% CPU usage straight for 50+ hours while I used the computer no problems ([email protected] runs all the time on my system and I don't shut it down unless I'm going away for days). Bought some RAM for it and that didn't work by itself or with the RAM already in the system :confused: that really has me confused.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I figured it out..

crisillo said:
Yeah.. sounds weird... does it emit any beeps from the MB speaker... if you have you manual at hand you may be able to know what it is.....

Also if it says the CPU speed is wrong, and it is settable by BIOS (not jumpers) you could try to go into the BIOS conf and change the values (if you know the correct ones of course)
Believe it or not it was the CD burner that went bad. Since the CD player shows up as a slave/ boot drive and is connected to the DVD player, it caused the Bios to ID the DVD player as a boot drive. This apparently confused the bios and it locked everytime it went looking for a boot drive. Fortuneatly I tried using the CD burner as a boot drive to see if the hard drive went bad and since it wouldn't open, I tried disconneting power to the DVD drive and voile', it booted. Then I went back and disconnecting the ribbon wire to the CD burner and re-connected the power to the DVD player and it worked.

So now all I need is a new cd burner.

THX, Brad

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
aka brad said:
Believe it or not it was the CD burner that went bad. Since the CD player shows up as a slave/ boot drive and is connected to the DVD player, it caused the Bios to ID the DVD player as a boot drive. This apparently this confused the bios and it locked everytime it went looking for a boot drive. Fortuneatly I tried using the CD burner as a boot drive to see if the hard drive went bad and since it wouldn't open, I tried disconneting power to the DVD drive and voile', it booted. Then I went back and disconnecting the ribbon wire to the CD burner and re-connected the power to the DVD player it worked.

So now all I need is a new cd burner.

THX, Brad
Well.. at least you got your PC back ;)

now you can upgrade to a DVD burner ;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Damn lucky

Man you are a lucky SOB, I would go out and buy a lottery ticket if I were you. It's normally little things that go bumm and hang systems, but it normally takes a whole heap of time trying to swap stuff out to figure out which piece it is. I still have no clue WTF went on w/ my system, I just know it's running again and I'm not asking why.

aka brad said:
Believe it or not it was the CD burner that went bad. ......................So now all I need is a new cd burner.

THX, Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.