Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Nothing wrong with owning a road bike whatsoever. In fact, quite a few MTBR regulars happen to be undercover roadies (including myself).

However, what is wrong with the picture is the trainer. Ditch it -- this is Phoenix and a trainer is something no local should own. Trainers are for people who live in the *real* cold. Take your road bike on the road as it will increase your fitness tremendously.

If you want some great training routes, PM me and I'll share my favorites with you.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the trainer is actually for the red bike in the background. i use it for a more effective warmup at the races. and for those times when i need to get a quick ride in between classes. and i usually spin for about 15-30 min before bed. also i needed to fit the bike and see what needed to be changed. only the stem so far.

this will probably be the last time the thing is on the trainer. i would gladly get some routes from you. i live in chandler and dont realy want to commute the bike to ride in circles on pecos rd all the time. im loving it so far. everything is so much quieter. and the shifting is so smooth. not used to the speed either. but im sure i will be.

G

·
dgangi said:
However, what is wrong with the picture is the trainer. Ditch it -- this is Phoenix and a trainer is something no local should own. Trainers are for people who live in the *real* cold. Take your road bike on the road as it will increase your fitness tremendously.

Thx...Doug
Ha, trainers are for the summer when you sleep in past 6am...ugh.

ps. I love my trek!

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Nothing wrong with owning a road bike whatsoever. In fact, quite a few MTBR regulars happen to be undercover roadies (including myself).

There's no need to go undercover about being a roadie... sometimes you just want to go really fast without the added benefit of gravity or a tailwind and it really does improve one's conditioning.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
I've been part of the dark side for awhile now. I've owned my Lemond for over 2 years. I simply love it and it's so fast and quiet as you mentioned. Lately I've been wanting to road ride more and more. I commute by bike to work 2-3 X's a week and while it's hard to get going in the morning, it's a welcome relief to ride it home. I live at Riggs/Lindsey and commute about 14 miles to Chandler/101 area.

I'm always looking for roadie partners so post up when your riding.

(Now we can let you in on the double secret dark side handshake....of course, we still have to invent it!)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
me too man. I LOVE riding to the tv towers and back. I typically leave from my house near 48th st and baseline. we could park at the 46th st somo lot and have an excellent road ride up to the towers.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Ahh...first off- The Dark Side is the Dh'rs, FR's, Urban/Dj's, and BMX'rs. The good side is reserved for the roadies, XC'rs, "All Mountain'rs, etc...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
Anytime! I love punishment...especially on a bike. PM when your doing that.
You bet!

pwrtrainer said:
me too. i guess. or should i wait to see if i can translate my tech skills to the road?
You're legs will be up to it. If I can do it you will be kicking my [email protected]@ within a few minutes. You just probably want to get the differences in turning the bike at high speeds, remembering where the brakes are (no joke, i know someone on a roadie for the first time, who forgot where the levers were and got into a serious accident). just take the down hill safe and easy the first few times.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
pwrtrainer said:
just got a new training tool today. figured pemberton can only be done sooooo many times and the classic is turning out to be a freeway. maybe this will help me get my lungs into the game!
This probably will help your endurance. I rode once with the Spin Cycle people, who kindly dropped me after about 20 miles of hard riding. Every ride's a race with them, I think.

I had to buy my first mountain bike at a backpacking store because the bike shops in the Boise area thought that mountain bikes weren't real bicycles.

Anyways, I'm back on the dark side until my front fork gets back from Push, Inc. (I killed it trying to follow those rigid single-speeders on Hawes on New Years Day.)

My ride yesterday was a cyclocross loop around South Mountain. Chandler to Pecos on dirt, through the Pima Indian Community and then a short hike up the back door of South Mountain park to the end of the San Juan road, up San Juan road, down Central, East on the Hiline canal bike path and back home to South Tempe for a chilly 40 miles.

Maybe one of these days I'll put the road wheels back on the bike and try to keep up with those Spin Cycle guys again.

Dave

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
eabos said:
I'm with you, I always thought the same thing? :confused:
Yeah, and you can't put roadies in the same boat as us Dh'rs. It just doesn't work.:madmax:

G

·
mtnbykr06 said:
Yeah, and you can't put roadies in the same boat as us Dh'rs. It just doesn't work.:madmax:
You're right, roadies are capable of riding uphill and not just down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.