eastman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how the Tallboy 4 would compare in a shootout vs the Pivot Trail 429 v3

·
eastman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that be a Trail 429 or Tallboy? All of the LBS's are telling next year for a new TB and 45-60 days for a new Trail 429.

·
eastman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

At points the review makes the comparison between the TB4 and the new 429T. He says the 429 climbs better while the TB4 descends better. The two bikes are probably pretty close in most situations. Get the one you can get sooner and ride the hell out of it!
Amen to that!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Would that be a Trail 429 or Tallboy? All of the LBS's are telling next year for a new TB and 45-60 days for a new Trail 429.
429T, they should be getting them in about the second week of April. My lbs had a TB or two on the floor last time I was there and just sold their bronson's that they had. The person who bought the last bronson drove five hours to get it.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Switchblade and I’m familiar with SuperBoost Plus. This standard allows for wider rear tire clearance and means your rear wheel will be about 20% stiffer than a Boost 148 rear wheel. Here’s what’s so great about Pivot bikes using SuperBoost Plus: for the price of a second 27.5+ wheelset, you get 3 different bikes. 1. 29er. 2. 27.5+. 3. Mullet bike. How cool is that? I suggest you buy the ENVE M640 Hydra CL (27.5+) wheelset. Total weight is 1,604 grams. That is close to 120 grams heavier than the carbon 29er wheelset option that comes with the Trail 429 (1,486 grams).

Reactions: eastman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tagging in to this thread, as the 2021 Trail 429, is on my short list of bikes to test ride/demo once available at LBS. I am riding an old 2015 Tallboy LTc. I'm not in a hurry, but this and the Ripley are high on my list for XC riding. This superboost plus thing is still something I am catching up on. I am NOT swapping out high end carbon wheels between bikes. I know my TallBoy is old school with 100/142 hubs. I watched the YT Yumyum review...his riding and my riding are very different. I am 200+lbs. Jason (yumyum) is awesome though.

·
eastman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tagging in to this thread, as the 2021 Trail 429, is on my short list of bikes to test ride/demo once available at LBS. I am riding an old 2015 Tallboy LTc. I'm not in a hurry, but this and the Ripley are high on my list for XC riding. This superboost plus thing is still something I am catching up on. I am NOT swapping out high end carbon wheels between bikes. I know my TallBoy is old school with 100/142 hubs. I watched the YT Yumyum review...his riding and my riding are very different. I am 200+lbs. Jason (yumyum) is awesome though.
Always great to catch one of YumYum's reviews!

I'm no expert and agree about the limitations on wheel swapping with a superboost, but would think this option may benefit a heavier rider. Most of the articles I've read on SB talk about the added stiffness of the rear wheel.

Really curious if Ibis will update the carbon Rip to follow suit with the recently released Rip AF. Sounds like the updated AL frame is now more Trail friendly then the standard Rip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the Tallboy Vs Trail 429, one of which I'm considering when I can actually get my hands on one:

For a little more cash than the 429 you can get the tallboy with carbon wheels.
The Tallboy CC XO1 with Reserve carbon wheels for £7.5k. The Tallboy C XO1 Reserve built is £7k. The xt/xtr Trail 429 is £6950 - alloy wheels.

So I can't make my mind up. Fortunately I have plenty of time before they are available.

Anybody got experience with carbon wheels?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I currently ride a Tallboy 3, and I have considered the Tallboy 4 and even the Hightower as a replacement. But from the reviews I've read of the Trail 429 it sounds like the perfect bike for the type of riding I do. The rear hub spacing and press fit BB are turn-offs for me, but not total deal breakers. I have 3 sets of boost 29er wheels, and I also have a Chameleon that can fit the same wheels as the Tallboy 3.

I'm in no hurry -- I still like my Tallboy 3, but I do think something a little slacker and longer and with a bit more travel would be nice.

·
eastman
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the Tallboy Vs Trail 429, one of which I'm considering when I can actually get my hands on one:

For a little more cash than the 429 you can get the tallboy with carbon wheels.
The Tallboy CC XO1 with Reserve carbon wheels for £7.5k. The Tallboy C XO1 Reserve built is £7k. The xt/xtr Trail 429 is £6950 - alloy wheels.

So I can't make my mind up. Fortunately I have plenty of time before they are available.

Anybody got experience with carbon wheels?
I believe SC still has the old pricing on their website. They mentioned an across the board increase of 10% in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts